Humans first - soi dogs second! Thais now advocating "the final solution"

webfact

I was bitten on Christmas morning on So I Cozy beach.  Small children have their faces, ripped off and their lives destroyed. Dogs need control and discipline. The problem is international not just Thai. Potential dig owners should do a mandatory training course. Most dontbeven know how to hold a, lead / leash!. 

20 minutes ago, The manic said:

I was bitten on Christmas morning on So I Cozy beach.  Small children have their faces, ripped off and their lives destroyed. Dogs need control and discipline. The problem is international not just Thai. Potential dig owners should do a mandatory training course. Most dontbeven know how to hold a, lead / leash!. 

Training courses , you certainly get the weekly comedian award.

• Like 1

Some of my best friends in life have been soi dogs/street dogs (I am not kidding or exaggerating). So, it is quite sad for me to read the news at the top about calls for the killing of them, and also to see the anti-dog posts here.

Edited by JemJem

3 hours ago, JemJem said:

Some of my best friends in life have been soi dogs/street dogs (I am not kidding or exaggerating). So, it is quite sad for me to read the news at the top about calls for the killing of them, and also to see the anti-dog posts here.

Well, I have to say that if you were my "best friend", I would consider myself seriously let down. Just look at the state your friends are in...disease mange and violence not to mention the source of rabies... 

Edited by Airbagwill
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

A major cull/extermination is a practical impossibility.

A minor cull is just a joke or even potentially dangerous.

If you kill a small number of animals they will rapidly be replaced by animals from outside the area and by breeding.

The animals from outside of course may well be rabies infected. So a minor cull can actually INCREASE the risk of rabies.

13 hours ago, Henrik Andersen said:

It is very effective and almost free of charge to kill all the soi dogs for sure it is cheaper than vaccine 

It's not effective ( for the reasons cited above) and why on earth do you presume it's free of charge? How do you propose to kill them? How many will you kill? What will you do with the carcasses? 

4 hours ago, JemJem said:

Standards my man, standards

1 hour ago, Airbagwill said:

A major cull/extermination is a practical impossibility.

A minor cull is just a joke or even potentially dangerous.

If you kill a small number of animals they will rapidly be replaced by animals from outside the area and by breeding.

The animals from outside of course may well be rabies infected. So a minor cull can actually INCREASE the risk of rabies.

Some get on with it and make the immediate problem go away  and reap the benefits of their cull,and others just continue on their way

As Esther used to say Thats Life

On 3/15/2018 at 3:10 PM, kamahele said:

Humans have caused this problem and yet people call for the dogs to be culled. 

No, it is not the people, it is the dogs who engage into mindless unprotected sex. 

As far as I am concerned my opinion of Thai people has improved a great deal after reading this post. Also I was extremely please, a couple of months ago, when I saw a very official looking shooting party near Phanom Rung. On my next rides the most of the aggressive dogs roaming around the site were not to be seen again. 

Keep up the good work, but there is a long way to go as most "pets" remain unrestrained.

Edited by KiChakayan
  • Like 1

27 minutes ago, oldlakey said:

Standards my man, standards

I guess you enjoy getting bitten, of having your kids getting bitten.... 

Mind you, I am not blaming anyone for loving dogs. But our love for animals should not make us turn a blind eye to an out of control situation. Situation that turns these animals into a dangerous pest.

Edited by KiChakayan
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, JemJem said:

Well I don't believe in reincarnation, and I didn't believe it when I was a porcupine.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Airbagwill said:

It's not effective ( for the reasons cited above) and why on earth do you presume it's free of charge? How do you propose to kill them? How many will you kill? What will you do with the carcasses? 

Offer 500 baht for every stray dog handed in to the government pound. There would be snatch squads driving round two up on motorbikes, armed with nets.

This region previously dealt with an avian flu epidemic and got that under control, so large scale problems of this kind can be solved.

Edited by blackcab

20 minutes ago, blackcab said:

Offer 500 baht for every stray dog handed in to the government pound. There would be snatch squads driving round two up on motorbikes, armed with nets.

This region previously dealt with an avian flu epidemic and got that under control, so large scale problems of this kind can be solved.

I had exactly the same thoughts of a worthwhile bounty, alternately - with the numerous BIB sitting on their collective arse's doing bugger all - put them out onto the streets and task then with returning a minimum of 2 dog's / week, dead or alive to the station - shouldn't take long to sort out the over populated soi dog problem.

2 hours ago, blackcab said:

You seriously think that what you describe would be "free of charge"?

You still haven't said how they would be killed or how your "snatch squad would be paid for.

..and what about the carcasses.

the truth of the matter is you are dealing nationwide with a million dogs - many of which will avoid you "snatch squad" - as one bitch can start a family immediately and grow to nearly 70,000 in 6 years I think you have seriously underestimated both the problem and how to tackle it.

"government pound"? - which government pound are you referring to?

the one that can cope with 300,000 dogs, free of charge?

I'd like to see your motorcyclists in operation - are they allowed to drive on the sidewalk or onto private land?

hw about forestry? How do they trasport the dogs - they go back to this mythicla "pound" every time they catch a dog?

What do they do about the gaps in packs they create in the meantime before other dogs move in?

you also overlook the public attitude to the slaughter of animals in Thailand and the brouhaha that will inevitably ensue when someone's "owned" dog is accidentally slaughtered.

you also overlook the increased risk of rabies caused by the migration of dogs as te result of kills.

now please think about 2 problems at least .........

How are you going to kill them (you haven't said)

What are you going to do with a million dog carcasses?

Edited by Airbagwill

1 hour ago, Artisi said:

I had exactly the same thoughts of a worthwhile bounty, alternately - with the numerous BIB sitting on their collective arse's doing bugger all - put them out onto the streets and task then with returning a minimum of 2 dog's / week, dead or alive to the station - shouldn't take long to sort out the over populated soi dog problem.

" 2 dog's / week, dead or alive to the station -" - rally what station? the police? I'm sure they'll be both happy and equipped to lok after dead dogs - how long do you think it'll take to get a million dogs crammed into the various "stations"?

Edited by Airbagwill
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Airbagwill said:

nd " 2 dog's / week, dead or alive to the station -" - rally what station? the police? I'm sure they'll be both happy and equipped to lok after dead dogs - how long do you think it'll take to get a million dogs crammed into the various "stations"?

Well I would have thought the inference was quite obvious it was the " the Police station".

So to make it very clear,  2 dogs / week , dead or alive to the police station .

The current police force is approx. 250,000, task 50% of them to get out and do some work for a change like reducing the dog population.

This equates to 125,000 x 2 = 250,000 per week but like all things the target probably won't be met, so for argument let say they can achieve 50,000 / week, therefore 1,000,000 dogs (your estimate) = 20 weeks. 

As for equipped, aren't all police armed in Thailand?

As for  a million dogs crammed into the various police station, why would they be hold 1,000,000 dogs at the station?

To pre-empt your next question,  Thailand has a very well equipped military transport system and also a large amount of earth moving equipment, so transport and disposal is no real problem. 

edited to add: see my earlier post regarding the 30 or so dogs that disappeared overnight, its not rocket science if it organised and run correctly.

Edited by Artisi
  • Like 1

Just now, Henrik Andersen said:

So you really live a sad life 

I've no doubt you find all your numerous 'friends' to be wonderful people :laugh:.

A few of us are more selective - and know our dogs are equally as loyal and genuinely caring/loving, as our few best human friends/relatives.

It's sad that you've missed out on the love provided by a dog (24/7 - and never any displays of bad-temper etc.) - but that is your loss, and why you will never understand the affection felt by some people towards dogs.

1 hour ago, Artisi said:

Well I would have thought the inference was quite obvious it was the " the Police station".

So to make it very clear,  2 dogs / week , dead or alive to the police station .

The current police force is approx. 250,000, task 50% of them to get out and do some work for a change like reducing the dog population.

This equates to 125,000 x 2 = 250,000 per week but like all things the target probably won't be met, so for argument let say they can achieve 50,000 / week, therefore 1,000,000 dogs (your estimate) = 20 weeks. 

As for equipped, aren't all police armed in Thailand?

As for  a million dogs crammed into the various police station, why would they be hold 1,000,000 dogs at the station?

To pre-empt your next question,  Thailand has a very well equipped military transport system and also a large amount of earth moving equipment, so transport and disposal is no real problem. 

edited to add: see my earlier post regarding the 30 or so dogs that disappeared overnight, its not rocket science if it organised and run correctly.

I feel you have absolutely no grasp of the situation at all - just pure fantasy.

nobody has said how they will be caught

No-one has said how they will be killed

No-one has taken into account how many dogs will be born inthat period

No-one has taken into account how to find all these dogs once they go into hiding

...and to think the police and army will give up their time? - come on get real.

i think you haven't thought about this at all but when questioned you scribbled a load of nonsnse down on a beer mat and think you have answered the questions...hen all you've actually done is display how little you understand this issue.

Edited by Airbagwill

3 hours ago, Airbagwill said:

You seriously think that what you describe would be "free of charge"?

You still haven't said how they would be killed or how your "snatch squad would be paid for.

..and what about the carcasses.

the truth of the matter is you are dealing nationwide with a million dogs - many of which will avoid you "snatch squad" - as one bitch can start a family immediately and grow to nearly 70,000 in 6 years I think you have seriously underestimated both the problem and how to tackle it.

"government pound"? - which government pound are you referring to?

the one that can cope with 300,000 dogs, free of charge?

I'd like to see your motorcyclists in operation - are they allowed to drive on the sidewalk or onto private land?

hw about forestry? How do they trasport the dogs - they go back to this mythicla "pound" every time they catch a dog?

What do they do about the gaps in packs they create in the meantime before other dogs move in?

you also overlook the public attitude to the slaughter of animals in Thailand and the brouhaha that will inevitably ensue when someone's "owned" dog is accidentally slaughtered.

you also overlook the increased risk of rabies caused by the migration of dogs as te result of kills.

now please think about 2 problems at least .........

How are you going to kill them (you haven't said)

The problem can be solved. I really don't think stray dogs can continuously outwit humans that are determined to solve the problem. The UK eradicated wolves, after all.

Why don't you write a realistic action plan?

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Airbagwill said:

nobody has said how they will be caught

No-one has said how they will be killed

No-one has taken into account how many dogs will be born inthat period

No-one has taken into account how to find all these dogs once they go into hiding

Caught with dart guns

Same way as all those animals we eat are

We can kill them faster than they can breed

They will always come to the easy food.

1 hour ago, dick dasterdly said:

I've no doubt you find all your numerous 'friends' to be wonderful people :laugh:.

A few of us are more selective - and know our dogs are equally as loyal and genuinely caring/loving, as our few best human friends/relatives.

It's sad that you've missed out on the love provided by a dog (24/7 - and never any displays of bad-temper etc.) - but that is your loss, and why you will never understand the affection felt by some people towards dogs.

I like dogs and understand peoples affection to them but in Thailand soi dogs are not nice dogs there attack people and cause accident and now rabies if people really care about them they will not run on the street beach and bagging and cause accident 

Love I have with my wife and she have no bad temper 

Remember the headline in this tread 

Humans first....

You should try meaby you will love it 

3 hours ago, Airbagwill said:

Good grief, it's not going to be a million dead dogs in one place. Thailand is a big country and the dogs are all over.

I'd set up hit squads of 2 or 3 people in every province to go into a town/ village and dart every dog on the roads at night ( people would be warned to keep their dogs off the streets ). They'd be kept in a temporary pound and at the end of a week all remaining dogs not claimed put down.

The team would hit a different town/ village every night. 

Cities would have permanent hit squads.

Someone from the place would establish feeding zones so the strays would gather there till the hit guys came.

Job done.

• Like 2

Good grief, it's not going to be a million dead dogs in one place. Thailand is a big country and the dogs are all over.
I'd set up hit squads of 2 or 3 people in every province to go into a town/ village and dart every dog on the roads at night ( people would be warned to keep their dogs off the streets ). They'd be kept in a temporary pound and at the end of a week all remaining dogs not claimed put down.
The team would hit a different town/ village every night. 
Cities would have permanent hit squads.
Someone from the place would establish feeding zones so the strays would gather there till the hit guys came.
Job done.

At last someone who has given it some thought !! [emoji106]

It’s obviously a mammoth task but needs to be undertaken, too many posters with the “ it can’t be done we should just do nothing “ attitude !

On a lighter note:

I could ride around on my bicycle to attract them, I’m like a soi dog magnet !, and a pick up following me could pick them off with guys in the back.

Kinda like a “ Soi Safari “ [emoji51]
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

59 minutes ago, blackcab said:

The problem can be solved. I really don't think stray dogs can continuously outwit humans that are determined to solve the problem. The UK eradicated wolves, after all.

Why don't you write a realistic action plan?

Because it's easier to crib info from the net and present it as original thinking, a completely lost cause.

7 minutes ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

At last someone who has given it some thought !! emoji106.png

It’s obviously a mammoth task but needs to be undertaken, too many posters with the “ it can’t be done we should just do nothing “ attitude !

On a lighter note:

I could ride around on my bicycle to attract them, I’m like a soi dog magnet !, and a pick up following me could pick them off with guys in the back.

Kinda like a “ Soi Safari “ emoji51.png

You'd probably end up with a dart in your bum. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Henrik Andersen said:

I like dogs and understand peoples affection to them but in Thailand soi dogs are not nice dogs there attack people and cause accident and now rabies if people really care about them they will not run on the street beach and bagging and cause accident 

Love I have with my wife and she have no bad temper 

Remember the headline in this tread 

Humans first....

You should try meaby you will love it 

"but in Thailand soi dogs are not nice dogs there attack people"

Really?....

Most genuine soi dogs are ingratiating - in the hope of getting food.....  But you may well be right that they become far more territorial at night, which is possibly part of the reason why locals like to have them about.