terrible rental experience (ongoing)

expatsailer

23 hours ago, expatsailer said:

Lesson learned. it's unfortunate that I'm at sea right now and she's dealing with this.... actually I'm not sure I would be able to keep my composure if I was home

Perhaps you could make a strategy to get out with the least loss, e.g. forego the deposit to ensure you are gone and air-cons gone with you. 

Edited by scorecard

1 minute ago, giddyup said:

You had no choice but to build off a plan if you wanted to live where you do. I had a choice of probably more than 40 new villages around the area I wanted to live. I didn't want to wait 6 months for a house to be completed, or have builders trying to screw more money out of me.

I could have built what I wanted, but the house design was OK, except the internal layout which there was no ploblem changing.....

Photo0958.jpg.87592a06d8db2048beaffb3915803d89.jpg

1 hour ago, giddyup said:

Yet there are those who advocate that renting (over buying) is the only way to go.

It is. One should factor in the  "deposit" as part of the cost of renting.

As was pointed out upstairs, the  deposit amounts to 300 baht per month. If rent was 20,000 per month, it  should have been considered as 20,300 per month.

I have lived in many places and within 2 years, the  fantastic  location  went bad because of neighbors or land use.  I have no confidence in the rule of law or the security of an investment in Thailand. Therefore I will not sink 10 million baht into purchasing a home and then having to maintain 24/7 security because of the frequency of burglaries and home invasion. And on top of that having to deal with the never ending issues of Thai construction deterioration.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, transam said:

I could have built what I wanted, but the house design was OK, except the internal layout which there was no ploblem changing.....

Photo0958.jpg.87592a06d8db2048beaffb3915803d89.jpg

Nice looking house, but I didn't entertain 2 storey because I'm no spring chicken and I knew stairs could present problems in the future.

• Like 1

Just rip the A/C's out one night and leave, taking the units is probably the thing that is annoying your landlord the most as they usually expect to keep them as a freebie. Forget the 7k its gone, if they are this problematic already you will more than likely lose the small A/C and the 7k

Walking away sooner will mean you get over it quicker

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, geriatrickid said:

It is. One should factor in the  "deposit" as part of the cost of renting.

It is for you. As I've said many times, a house for me is more than a roof over my head. 

1 hour ago, xylophone said:

I have owned two houses here and rented a few apartments and have had absolutely no problems with the rentals, but then perhaps I'm different to you, and I say this because if I install anything in my apartment, such as a new aircon, which I have just done, I asked for permission to do so and tell the owner that when I leave, he can keep the aircon unit, but only if it is my decision to leave.

Well of course you won't have any problems with landlords when you are giving them 1000s of baht (10,000s of thousands?) worth of free equipment for no apparent reason...

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, giddyup said:

Nice looking house, but I didn't entertain 2 storey because I'm no spring chicken and I knew stairs could present problems in the future.

That is one of the things I changed, yes I have stairs but they are of a shallow angle, I thought about that stuff..Our place actually has a lake in front of it and a concrete road.....Nobody looking in my windows...:stoner:

1 minute ago, transam said:

That is one of the things I changed, yes I have stairs but they are of a shallow angle, I thought about that stuff..Our place actually has a lake in front of it and a concrete road.....Nobody looking in my windows...:stoner:

Sounds very nice. If the stairs ever present a problem you can install one of those chair lifts like Ironside.

2 minutes ago, giddyup said:

Sounds very nice. If the stairs ever present a problem you can install one of those chair lifts like Ironside.

Think a rope and pulley....:stoner:

Edited by transam
  • Like 1

35 minutes ago, geriatrickid said:

I have no confidence in the rule of law or the security of an investment in Thailand. Therefore I will not sink 10 million baht into purchasing a home and then having to maintain 24/7 security because of the frequency of burglaries and home invasion

I'm sure burglaries do happen, but is it as common as you make it sound?or is this just for peace of mind?

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, dfdgfdfdgs said:

Well of course you won't have any problems with landlords when you are giving them 1000s of baht (10,000s of thousands?) worth of free equipment for no apparent reason...

You use the plural and I was referring to one specific event, and anyway I have been here five years already and even though the current Aircon was okay, I wanted a Mitsubishi inverter Aircon as I like to keep the temperature on 22° C at night, whereas the old one was struggling to do this. Not only that I save on electricity bills.

No problem for me as it's a trade-off........my comfort, my satisfaction, lower power bills and I get to stay in the place I like for as long as I like and if he wants to kick me out, then the Aircon goes with me, whereas now it's up to me.

What the original poster sees as a major problem, I see as a minor one, and he's going to have other things to think about if he buys a property. What if he has has noisy neighbours (parties etc), dogs that won't stop barking, inconsiderate neighbours, grows to dislike the area he has bought in and a whole raft of other things that make people want to move.........but then he has to sell his property and he will surely lose more than a few thousand baht's worth of the cost of an Aircon if he has to do that!

Rent, don't buy in a place where your rights with regards to ownership are severely limited.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, expatsailer said:

I'm sure burglaries do happen, but is it as common as you make it sound?or is this just for peace of mind?

I can tell you that London was waaaaaaaaaaaay more of a worry regarding burglaries than LOS....:stoner:

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, xylophone said:

You use the plural and I was referring to one specific event, and anyway I have been here five years already and even though the current Aircon was okay, I wanted a Mitsubishi inverter Aircon as I like to keep the temperature on 22° C at night, whereas the old one was struggling to do this. Not only that I save on electricity bills.

No problem for me as it's a trade-off........my comfort, my satisfaction, lower power bills and I get to stay in the place I like for as long as I like and if he wants to kick me out, then the Aircon goes with me, whereas now it's up to me.

What the original poster sees as a major problem, I see as a minor one, and he's going to have other things to think about if he buys a property. What if he has has noisy neighbours (parties etc), dogs that won't stop barking, inconsiderate neighbours, grows to dislike the area he has bought in and a whole raft of other things that make people want to move.........but then he has to sell his property and he will surely lose more than a few thousand baht's worth of the cost of an Aircon if he has to do that!

Rent, don't buy in a place where your rights with regards to ownership are severely limited.

I would NEVER buy a place in one of those "gated" places....:sad:

47 minutes ago, transam said:

transam, that's a pretty nice house. you said that was in the village? if you don't mind me asking, how much did that set you back?

2 hours ago, JaiLai said:

However losing a small deposit as opposed to potential millions from buying off plan and project not finished etc would be easier to live with

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

chances are 00000.1% go count all the standing condos across Thailand   .

chances losing rent deposit 50%

lets keep it real

Edited by InMyShadow

Just now, expatsailer said:

transam, that's a pretty nice house. you said that was in the village? if you don't mind me asking, how much did that set you back?

No village, I have no neighbours...Yet....

Ten years on and the bits of land either side are still for sale. It is a sought after area in Ubon so very expensive by Thai standards....I was lucky, bought before the place got recognised for what it is and at 70bht to the pound......If I told you what it cost me 10 years back you would cry...:stoner:

I have to agree with xylophone on this one, I have been here close to 7 years now and have always rented, only 2 places in that time, currently in a nice 3 bed 2 bath single story in a quietish village, and only 15k a month, the landlord and his Thai wife are the nicest people and have made a lot of improvements for us.

I have never wanted to sink my money into something I cannot own, I prefer to spend what I have on rather more pleasurable things such as luxury travel, exploring Thailand & neighbouring countries , cruises,  eating out etc. My Mrs will be well looked after on my demise so why would I wanna burden myself with a property.

Having said that, if Uncle ERNIE dropped a cool million quid on me I might change my mind :wink:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, InMyShadow said:

chances are 00000.1% go count all the standing condos across Thailand   .

chances losing rent deposit 50%

lets keep it real

Getting real, the chances in your first sentence are unreal and the comparison is also unreal.

There are well over a thousand condos/apartments in my small town alone that are derelict because of corruption and all sorts of other things, and god knows how many others around the country where people have lost hundreds of thousands of baht, if not millions, on defunct property investments.

This thread is timely in my town, because police are finally trying to take action on one batch of incomplete/derelict condos whereas others are being investigated at this moment. On top of that the owner of a large hotel which was built illegally with regards to boundary lines and height may eventually be bought to account with a payout of many tens of millions of baht to the unfortunate householder. However this has taken a long time and huge outlay by the homeowner, so quite what he gets out of it will be hard to tell.

Can't sell the house so is only hope is the buyout and that relies upon the police and the law doing their job properly................??

Losing a few thousand baht deposit pales into insignificance to the above, and probably many similar examples around the country.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, xylophone said:

Getting real, the chances in your first sentence are unreal and the comparison is also unreal.

There are well over a thousand condos/apartments in my small town alone that are derelict because of corruption and all sorts of other things, and god knows how many others around the country where people have lost hundreds of thousands of baht, if not millions, on defunct property investments.

This thread is timely in my town, because police are finally trying to take action on one batch of incomplete/derelict condos whereas others are being investigated at this moment. On top of that the owner of a large hotel which was built illegally with regards to boundary lines and height may eventually be bought to account with a payout of many tens of millions of baht to the unfortunate householder. However this has taken a long time and huge outlay by the homeowner, so quite what he gets out of it will be hard to tell.

Can't sell the house so is only hope is the buyout and that relies upon the police and the law doing their job properly................??

Losing a few thousand baht deposit pales into insignificance to the above, and probably many similar examples around the country.

Complete BS ! Go tell your stories to a newbie.

2 minutes ago, Golden Triangle said:

I have to agree with xylophone on this one, I have been here close to 7 years now and have always rented, only 2 places in that time, currently in a nice 3 bed 2 bath single story in a quietish village, and only 15k a month, the landlord and his Thai wife are the nicest people and have made a lot of improvements for us.

I see your point triangle.

My wife is finally moving everything into the new house (hopefully a better landlord) and it's going to cost us 12,000 a month. paying $4608 ($384 x 12) vs a $100,000 sudden withdrawal is a lot more feasible for my investment portfolio growth. I definitely don't want to pull a rash move by buying a house next week or anything, but just observing options and opinions. thanks guys for the input :smile:

40 minutes ago, InMyShadow said:

Complete BS ! Go tell your stories to a newbie.

Tut, tut, you've obviously not been here long................however hopefully you can use Google and search on there for stories from the Phuket News and also on this forum with regards to action being taken against the developers of the ACE condominiums; action being taken against the owner of the Andakira hotel, and the derelict state of the 900+ apartments which were going to be built by Phanason group and which was going to be called "The Park".

There are other empty condos/apartments you may wish to seek out, not only here but in Pattaya.

Seek and you will find, newbie or not!

PS. Almost forgot...........you can see the pics of these derelict/abandoned condos/apt as I posted them on the "Derelict/abandoned buildings" (or similar name) thread on Thaivisa!! No apology needed!

Edited by xylophone

22 hours ago, Bastos60 said:

So the same problems with landlords as in the West.

Not necessarily. In the south, in Australia, the bond is held by a 3rd party - the Rental Tenancy Authority. 

Edited by tropo

20 minutes ago, RichardColeman said:

Moral: Don't rent a house without a checked and working air con !

Or negotiate repair/replacement with the landlord before you sign. It also depends on how much you like the place. It might be worth spending some money on. Mine was.

Typical real estate rental contracts have a clause that air conditioners have to be serviced and working properly.

Edited by tropo
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, expatsailer said:

Moral:If the A/C's work and break it's the renters fault.

If the house doesn't have A/C... still the renters fault

Not at all. My landlord is responsible for the repair cost of air conditioners, by contract. My moral is I don't want to rent from Thai landlords. Of course, you could be lucky, but I wouldn't chance it.

3 hours ago, xylophone said:

Well if you thought that you are having problems with the rental, then be prepared for even more if you are looking to buy here.

I have owned two houses here and rented a few apartments and have had absolutely no problems with the rentals, but then perhaps I'm different to you, and I say this because if I install anything in my apartment, such as a new aircon, which I have just done, I asked for permission to do so and tell the owner that when I leave, he can keep the aircon unit, but only if it is my decision to leave.

Buying a house here is fraught with problems, because you can't own the land, however your wife can, but then again this site and many others are full of stories where circumstances change and marriages fail and the farang has very little going for him if the divorce/separation is not amicable.

Anyway, good luck in whatever you do.

My wife and I rented for two years in Chiang Mai, it worked out pretty well. When we looked at the house I made a list, air conditioner, light fixtures and fans that I wanted installed. My wife told the owner, you install we pay half and leave them when we go. The landlady got a lot better deal on the items than we would have and got to keep them, I had the use of them for two years at a ridiculously low price and didn't have remove them when we left.

• Thanks 1