UK Bank (Jersey) asking for TIN (tax number)?

Hi,

I just got a letter in post from UK Jersey bank (whom I've been with 39 years) now asking for tax status update. Specifically a TIN (tax id number). I previously replied with an old Thai tax cert number after doing a years work in Thailand but they don't understand that number format (not TIN compatible?). The rest of my life has been spent working overseas contracts on a commuter basis  day rate or fixed net monthly returning to Thailand for time off every 6 weeks or so with all local overseas taxes accounted for by companies themselves and information's not shared with me.

* How does one explain that to the UK bank these days?

I had a couple of these at the end of last year, mine (Lloyds) had a box for "not issued" or something similar.

A Thai tax ID is of the format N-NNNN-NNNNN-NN-N (all numbers)

There is no international TIN format, even the EU can't get their act together (although most are 9 digits).

https://ec.europa.eu/taxation_customs/tin/tinByCountry.html

I used my NI number for the UK which was accepted.

You must talk to them, and explain what that number is. There is no such thing as a TIN compatible number, as TIN refers to the tax identification number of any country, and every country has a different format. Perhaps they are looking at a guide like this that shows all the different TIN formats for every country that has signed up to the CRS information sharing treaty (click on the flags to see what TINS are like in each country.)

http://www.oecd.org/tax/automatic-exchange/crs-implementation-and-assistance/tax-identification-numbers/

They may be baffled because Thailand isn't on this list and so they can't look up what Thai tax  id numbers look like. This is because Thailand has not signed up to the CRS exchange of information treaty so Thailand is not a CRS reportable country.

Explain to them that the number you have given  is the Thai tax ID format, and  if necessary send them a scan of whatever you got that has that tax ID on it (mine was a card).

My bank Santander International in  Jersey accepted my Thai TIN as written.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, WorriedNoodle said:

... The rest of my life has been spent working overseas contracts on a commuter basis  day rate or fixed net monthly returning to Thailand for time off every 6 weeks or so with all local overseas taxes accounted for by companies themselves and information's not shared with me.

...and accordingly someone, somewhere wants to know that you are paying your taxes.

Somewhere.

Hi,

I just got a letter in post from UK Jersey bank (whom I've been with 39 years) now asking for tax status update. Specifically a TIN (tax id number). I previously replied with an old Thai tax cert number after doing a years work in Thailand but they don't understand that number format (not TIN compatible?). The rest of my life has been spent working overseas contracts on a commuter basis  day rate or fixed net monthly returning to Thailand for time off every 6 weeks or so with all local overseas taxes accounted for by companies themselves and information's not shared with me.

* How does one explain that to the UK bank these days?
Was the TIN you gave them the old format with hyphens? If so, you will have been assigned one with the new 13-digit format some years ago. Just ask the Revenue Dept to look it up for you. That's what I did.

Sent from my cell phone using Thaivisa mobile app

The number I gave the bank was of format 1-2345-6789-0 (so 13 char if you inc hyphens?). That was from a 2011 tax filing for the years work in did in Thailand. I still have that document.

Other than that I have no other tax documents as my taxes were all paid locally in overseas countries by companies I was assigned to at the time who did not share this info with me. Indeed until end of last year when the UK bank asked me, it was never an issue for me?

* Will a single Thai tax document for one yr out of 39 worked all outside UK cut it with a UK bank one wonders? 

There's no need for a document, I just gave them the tax reference in the format I noted above, I doubt they actually check it.

Their letter specifically referenced Thailand, if they're not asking about other countries I wouldn't be offering the information. They didn't ask about my HK tax ID (even though all my deposits come from HK), so I didn't give it to them.

If you do not have a TIN number in Thailand and you are not paying tax, just tell the bank you have no taxable income in Thailand and therefore no requirement to have a TIN number. This has worked with several UK banks for me.

(or use somebody else's TIN number and change a few digits. This is what a friend of mine did because the bank was insistent, but maybe it will come back to bite him on the bum)

The number I gave the bank was of format 1-2345-6789-0 (so 13 char if you inc hyphens?). That was from a 2011 tax filing for the years work in did in Thailand. I still have that document.

Other than that I have no other tax documents as my taxes were all paid locally in overseas countries by companies I was assigned to at the time who did not share this info with me. Indeed until end of last year when the UK bank asked me, it was never an issue for me?

* Will a single Thai tax document for one yr out of 39 worked all outside UK cut it with a UK bank one wonders? 
10 digits plus hyphens is the old format. The new format is 13 digits, i. e. 1 2345 67890 12 3.
For years I put the old format on my tax returns and wondered why there was a different number on the receipt they gave me. Last month they told me the old format is still valid.

I still don't have a tax card with the new format number. Apparently, the sub-districts can't issue them. You could try going to the district tax office and and asking for a card, if you want proof.

I had one UK bank accept the old format and one didn't. Not sure why. But they sent me another form and then accepted the 13-digit format.

Sent from my cell phone using Thaivisa mobile app

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎18‎/‎03‎/‎2018 at 6:29 AM, rak sa_ngop said:

If you do not have a TIN number in Thailand and you are not paying tax, just tell the bank you have no taxable income in Thailand and therefore no requirement to have a TIN number. This has worked with several UK banks for me.

(or use somebody else's TIN number and change a few digits. This is what a friend of mine did because the bank was insistent, but maybe it will come back to bite him on the bum)

I have done the exact same thing with a couple of UK banks that asked for a TIN number. This was early last year and seems to have been accepted as no comebacks by either bank.

In fact I did contact one of the banks because they had sent a chaser for non response. I had responded and this was in their system by the time I received their chaser letter - postal delays. They confirmed that all was in order with no comment about the lack of a TIN.

On 3/18/2018 at 1:29 PM, rak sa_ngop said:

Yes, that's what I did a year or two ago when Barclays sent out the FATCA/GATCA self-certification forms. I've never worked in Thailand so there has never been a need to get a TIN here. They never got back to me so they must have accepted it.