PM urges Thais to wear period costumes for outings

Jonathan Fairfield

PM urges Thais to wear period costumes for outings

n9.jpeg

Inspired by the success of the royally initiated winter festival, Oon Ai Rak Klay Kwam Nao, and the mega-hit historical TV soap opera “Bupphesanniwat” or “Destined Love”, Prime Minister General Prayut Chan-o-cha is encouraging Thai citizens to wear period outfits in public places.

People in period costumes had flocked in large numbers to the one-month-long festival held for Thai people to overcome the sadness of the past, as well as to pay tributes to the great achievements of King Rama V and King Rama IX. Held at the grounds of Dusit Palace and Sanam Suea Pa, the theme of the festival was: wearing period costumes.

Large crowds also turned up in Ayutthaya, the location of the soap opera Bupphesanniwat. Many of them also dressed in traditional Thai attires, inspired by the characters in the hit-TV series.

During his weekly national address on television on Friday, Prayut praised both the winter festival and the TV series for helping promote Thai Niyom, the government initiative.

Prayut said he was glad to see Thai people wear the traditional outfits with confidence in public places.

“I want to see this phenomenon taking place throughout the country on different occasions, at tourist attractions. We should preserve this Thai tradition [wearing period costume] as a national treasure for the next generation,” Prayut said.

The premier also urged his Cabinet members and civil servants to wear traditional outfits to work.

Normally, every Tuesday, Cabinet members wear dresses tailored from Thai cloth and silk to attend Cabinet meetings, so it’s okay if the ministers and civil servants want to wear Thai traditional costume on that day instead, Prayut said.

He added that he also wanted to see this practice adopted by other sectors, including academic institutions and businesses.

“It’s interesting to see people dressing in those outfits. Everyone will feel more vibrant and in a different atmosphere. But please do not force them to do,” he said.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/national/30341137

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2018-03-17
  • Like 2

How much do these costumes cost?

How comfortable are they in "summer"?

Believe the hot lakorn is "Destiny Love" (in English). Note that the slaves (darker skinned of course) on that show also dress in period costumes - not very fancy obviously, although the females are covered up top. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, geriatrickid said:

Traditional clothing of the poor consisted of a low quality sarong type outfit.

Does he expect that 50% of the population go back to bare feet and a sarong?

And women not wearing a top?

Who in the photo owns the tailor shop specialized in Drag Queen outfits? Don't send this idea to Europe or in the future we may see Ms. Merkel, all Germans, Austrians and Swiss only in 'Lederhosen".

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, Happy enough said:

Well if you married here you'll know you have to grin and bear it, at least for a few photos. feel like a complete tool dressed up like sinbad. that guys mrs in the bottom photo is quite cute. shame about his socks with flip flops though, must be german 555. 

There's no doubt that he looks freakin' stupid. I couldn't find my marriage photos, if I do, I'll post them to give you guys a good laugh....

P.S. I give you the chance to take the must be German back. If not, I'll show it to my Misses and she'll find you. The ducks are hungry, you know?

Edited by jenny2017