Lending money to anyone in Thailand is a bad idea

ghworker2010

The only time I recall lending money was 500 baht. A girl my Mrs knew from school was living near us and came to the house crying and needing a loan.  I was buzzing as I knew we would not get it back and we would never be asked again. My Mrs brother called us early morning last week to borrow 35000 baht for a car he found on Facebook.  "Will pay back in one month when sell all cassava" guys been banging on about a car for well over a year now I honestly believe if he ever gets one he will be a danger to himself and all road users. 

5 hours ago, jackdd said:

I also think that you should not lend anybody money... unless it's a good friend where you know 100% that you will get it back, but also then not more than you are willing to lose.

A while ago a friend of my GF asked my GF to borrow 5000THB, i told her to not do it, but she didn't want to listen, so she did it.

What she didn't tell me at first... her friend pays her 500THB interest per month until the credit is payed back in full. So more than 10% interest per month. In the last few months the friend payed her, let's see if it will continue until it's payed off. But with such an interest rate you probably make money even if sometimes people default the loan.

Didnt you try to sell me a used Car once in Hartlepool ?  :cheesy:

• Sad 1

6 hours ago, jackdd said:

I also think that you should not lend anybody money... unless it's a good friend where you know 100% that you will get it back, but also then not more than you are willing to lose.

A while ago a friend of my GF asked my GF to borrow 5000THB, i told her to not do it, but she didn't want to listen, so she did it.

What she didn't tell me at first... her friend pays her 500THB interest per month until the credit is payed back in full. So more than 10% interest per month. In the last few months the friend payed her, let's see if it will continue until it's payed off. But with such an interest rate you probably make money even if sometimes people default the loan.

Illegal loansharking!

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, ghworker2010 said:

It goes without saying that lending money to anyone in thailand is a bad idea..

I agree, it is often presumed to be a gift.

Along with a few of your other suggestions, a bad idea!

8 hours ago, BEVUP said:

None of them have any guilt

Why should they have - you marry their daughter, you're family and you don't lend money to family - you give it. 

6 hours ago, jackdd said:

Who would lend money to a friend and ask for 10% per month interest? (1200% per annum!) You don't use friends like that.  

The bottom line is - if they are really friends and doing it tough, you shouldn't be concerned if they pay you back or not. That's the true meaning of friendship. If they offer it back you refuse to take it.

2 minutes ago, tropo said:

Why should they have - you marry their daughter, you're family and you don't lend money to family - you give it. 

Who would lend money to a friend and ask for 10% per month interest? (1200% per annum!) You don't use friends like that.  

The bottom line is - if they are really friends and doing it tough, you shouldn't be concerned if they pay you back or not. That's the true meaning of friendship. If they offer it back you refuse to take it.

Your quite a nice guy as a friend, if i loaned a friend money i would want it back. If i said it was a gift I would not want it back. I would make my intention known before.

I have had a friend buy motorcycle of me and I let him pay it off in parts, never a problem he was English and it was in Thailand. I have loaned money to Thais too, got it back too. I guess it depends a bit on who you loan money too. 

1 hour ago, GreasyFingers said:

Yes I am the same, never had a problem. Lent money to the DIL to buy a motorbike. The money came back as soon as she had it. If you are any judge of character you know who to lend to.

I am still waiting on $10000 from a mate at home from 1999 though. Has never attempted to repay it.

Is he still your mate? I'm still waiting for $20,000 from a mate from 1989. We stayed friends though as it was really just a misguided business arrangement.

Yes I am the same, never had a problem. Lent money to the DIL to buy a motorbike. The money came back as soon as she had it. If you are any judge of character you know who to lend to.
I am still waiting on $10000 from a mate at home from 1999 though. Has never attempted to repay it.

Why don't you send him a text message asking for it back once he replies he has amited borrowing it and maybe you can take him to court. Just a ideal I know a verbal agreement is binding in some situations.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

1 minute ago, robblok said:

Your quite a nice guy as a friend, if i loaned a friend money i would want it back. If i said it was a gift I would not want it back. I would make my intention known before.

I have had a friend buy motorcycle of me and I let him pay it off in parts, never a problem he was English and it was in Thailand. I have loaned money to Thais too, got it back too. I guess it depends a bit on who you loan money too. 

Of course, it depends on who you loan it to. "Friend" in my context is not an acquaintance, but someone you care for and if they are doing it tough you help. If you don't want the stress and you really need the money - don't do it! I'm not Dutch in my attitude toward money LOL.

1 minute ago, tropo said:

Of course, it depends on who you loan it to. "Friend" in my context is not an acquaintance, but someone you care for and if they are doing it tough you help. If you don't want the stress and you really need the money - don't do it! I'm not Dutch in my attitude toward money LOL.

Yes the Dutch have a bad name.. like the Scots i think its partly deserved. I dislike loaning money to people. Its not the loaning that i dislike but the chance they don't pay.

In my business i really hate it when clients don't pay their bills i get quite worked up about it. The amounts are not high and because I have many clients its spread out well so not a major problem. Just hate working for people and not getting paid. Often i even send debt collectors after people for low amounts (of course I check first if they have money otherwise it would only cost me money). I don't have a problem with clients paying late if they tell me ahead of time. 

19 minutes ago, tropo said:

Of course a friend like in the English or Thai meaning of "friend", so somebody she knows, not a close friend.

Yes the Dutch have a bad name.. like the Scots i think its partly deserved. I dislike loaning money to people. Its not the loaning that i dislike but the chance they don't pay.

In my business i really hate it when clients don't pay their bills i get quite worked up about it. The amounts are not high and because I have many clients its spread out well so not a major problem. Just hate working for people and not getting paid. Often i even send debt collectors after people for low amounts (of course I check first if they have money otherwise it would only cost me money). I don't have a problem with clients paying late if they tell me ahead of time. 
Haha poor old Scots they are not all tight.

What do you call 2 Scots hanging on a washing line

A pair of Tights

Just Joking of course

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

17 minutes ago, jackdd said:

Of course a friend like in the English or Thai meaning of "friend", so somebody she knows, not a close friend.

Are you talking about "friend" or friend? In English someone one knows is an acquaintance. I'll leave you to decipher the Thai meanings.

At least once a month people come to our house wanting to borrow

money on land or us to buy land. 1 one person paid back on time which was 2 months later and paid no interest. Yesterday someone came by Told the wife tell them no or F.......she told them no. 

A couple years back wives papa was having glass double doors installed. Asked gf at the time who is paying for it. Papa doesn’t work is 54? Papa who doesn’t speak English looked at me and said you. 

Should’ve ran then......

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, robblok said:

I understand you dislike lending money to "people". So do I... but close friends are not the same as "people". If you aren't willing to help friends, then they aren't true friends. In these cases, you don't expect it back. If you do, then it could end the friendship if they can't pay you. You also need to distinguish between can't pay and won't pay. You can't squeeze blood out of a stone. People who need to borrow money often have no money management skills.

Edited by tropo
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, tropo said:

I understand you dislike lending money to "people". So do I... but close friends are not the same as "people". If you aren't willing to help "friends", then they aren't true friends. In these cases, you don't expect it back. If you do, then it could end the friendship if they can't pay you. You also need to distinguish between can't pay and won't pay. You can't squeeze blood out of a stone. People who need to borrow money often have no money management skills.

True.. depends on what you call a friend. I know the difference between can't and won't pay going after people who can't pay is just stupid (as is loaning them money when you expect it back)

8 minutes ago, robblok said:

True.. depends on what you call a friend. I know the difference between can't and won't pay going after people who can't pay is just stupid (as is loaning them money when you expect it back)

People often wonder why I live in Thailand with my Filipino wife. All my in-laws are over there LOL... and we can switch off the phone.

7 hours ago, jackdd said:

Number 1 rule when lending money in Thailand, apart from the written contract document commonly used, is to obtain SECURITY, ie. Chanote (title deeds to property). No security = no commitment. You lose 

1 minute ago, Redback said:

Number 1 rule when lending money in Thailand, apart from the written contract document commonly used, is to obtain SECURITY, ie. Chanote (title deeds to property). No security = no commitment. You lose 

A title deed doesn't give you ownership if they don't pay. What's to stop them from getting new papers? 

7 hours ago, alex8912 said:

OP you write about your antics as if you are very immature. Get off face book, get off line, get out of you wife’s and MIL’s petty nonsense and GET a life! 

80-90% of thailand is on fayboo...

And i don't see your need for your reaction. Just let him post what he likes...

• Sad 1

54 minutes ago, Thian said:

80-90% of thailand is on fayboo...

And i don't see your need for your reaction. Just let him post what he likes...

That doesn't mean it's not good advice to stay off Facebook. Life could become a lot less complicated. I understand the wife being addicted to it, but that doesn't mean he has to follow her lead. I've seen Facebook ruin good people.

• Like 1

Just now, tropo said:

That doesn't mean it's not good advice to stay off Facebook. Life could become a lot less complicated. I understand the wife being addicted to it, but that doesn't mean he has to follow her lead. I've seen Facebook ruin good people.

There loads of thai or farang who made a fortune by fayboo...loads of thai shops ONLY have fayboo..

Who is he to tell another what's right or wrong?

Lending to a thai is not a smart thing to do, for newbies it's a good warning that he gave.