Health ministry blames irresponsible owners of cats and dogs for the spread of rabies

webfact

3 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

Face is no doubt, the greatest form of weakness, a human can engage in. Many will say it is societal, cultural, etc. No matter. It is the absolute and complete lack of the ability to introspect, and look within for the source of any problem, shortcoming, conflict, or issue. It is the polar opposite of spirituality, and therefore an absolute scourge on Buddha, and all of the precepts he taught. By practicing face, you are denying your spiritual heritage. You are refusing to man up. To take responsibility for your actions. If a man or a woman cannot, and will not take responsibility for their actions, the problems they create, the mistakes they make, and the issues they involve themselves in, what are they? Are they still an adult? Are they a complete individual, if they allow themselves to be limited by such infinitely small social convention? 

Who cares what people think of you? For those of us with high self esteem, it just does not matter. Sure, close friends and family. But strangers on the street? Who gives a rat's butt about this? It means nothing what they think, nor what they say about you. They count for nothing. They are just people, and people you do not know, nor will ever see again. Face is rife with self doubt, and by subscribing to this weakness, and man or woman is made a far lesser person. For those of us with high self esteem, we know who we are. What others think, what society thinks, what a guy or gal thinks, means less than zero.

Real men or women, simply own a situation, and take responsibility for their errors or mistakes. Small men, social deviants, or emotional adolescents deflect, obfuscate, attempt to confuse, and do everything in their power to deny that they made a mistake, or that they are responsible in any way, or on any level. They make up narratives about fake news, or alternative facts. Anything to avoid looking within, for the source of the problem. Anything.

In "our" world I would agree 100% but Thai culture is different. To admit having made mistakes is a no go. Therefore you can blame somebody else. Maybe it has to do with self esteem. Thais have too much that they won't allow themselves to make mistakes or to fail?? Btw do you think Donald is making mistakes? Full of self esteem even. I would too much self esteem even count as weakness.

2 minutes ago, sawadee1947 said:

In "our" world I would agree 100% but Thai culture is different. To admit having made mistakes is a no go. Therefore you can blame somebody else. Maybe it has to do with self esteem. Thais have too much that they won't allow themselves to make mistakes or to fail?? Btw do you think Donald is making mistakes? Full of self esteem even. I would too much self esteem even count as weakness.

No. Don has very little self esteem. It is well known in psychological circles, that people with a high degree of self loathing, and a low sense of self, and low self esteem, mask this with bravado, and the kind of bragadacchio that Tiny Don displays daily. My guess is, that he hates himself for destroying so many lives, and stealing his billions from all of the unsuspecting small contractors who have worked for him over the decades. He is a crime lord. And alot of criminals hate themselves, as they know what they have done. 

Same with the face thing. It is not due to too much self esteem. It is due to too little self esteem. A real man is willing to fess up to his responsibilities, and mistakes, and make them right. No doubt Thai culture is different. It has alot of wonderful aspects. But, the practice of face in my opinion is the bottom of the Thai (and Asian) barrel. 

• Thanks 1

irresponsible pet owners ? and what about the government then, they are irresponsible to let it go so far with the dogs in Thailand,take them of the streets and not only talk about it, do something so we can walk on soi's without being chased by dogs.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Peterphuket said:

Always blaming someone else that is so easy by the government, it would be better if they took the blame themselves, but yes that is losing your face.

I really don't see how any of those in charge of the country have any "face" left.  Too weak to take responsibility for the job they should be doing.  Too weak to resist and rid the country of  the graft and corruption that they apparently promised they would do.  I see the same "it wasn't me" and "not my fault" attitude in little boys, not just here but back "home" too.  I expect a man who has risen (or paid) to become a general to be able to take responsibility otherwise he is still just a little boy.  After all, in a conflict it is generals that send soldiers into battle, possibly to their death.  This lot would then deny responsibility and blame the enemy or maybe the corporal in charge of the section.

21 hours ago, varun said:

Thainess at it's best - zero accountability, a million excuses and playing the blame game.

Throw 'Thai Buddhism' into the mix and we are left with ignorance, stupidity and idiotic beliefs.

Yep, "Thainess" definition = Blame, Blame, Blame :coffee1:

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

Face is no doubt, the greatest form of weakness, a human can engage in. Many will say it is societal, cultural, etc. No matter. It is the absolute and complete lack of the ability to introspect, and look within for the source of any problem, shortcoming, conflict, or issue. It is the polar opposite of spirituality, and therefore an absolute scourge on Buddha, and all of the precepts he taught. By practicing face, you are denying your spiritual heritage. You are refusing to man up. To take responsibility for your actions. If a man or a woman cannot, and will not take responsibility for their actions, the problems they create, the mistakes they make, and the issues they involve themselves in, what are they? Are they still an adult? Are they a complete individual, if they allow themselves to be limited by such infinitely small social convention? 

Who cares what people think of you? For those of us with high self esteem, it just does not matter. Sure, close friends and family. But strangers on the street? Who gives a rat's butt about this? It means nothing what they think, nor what they say about you. They count for nothing. They are just people, and people you do not know, nor will ever see again. Face is rife with self doubt, and by subscribing to this weakness, and man or woman is made a far lesser person. For those of us with high self esteem, we know who we are. What others think, what society thinks, what a guy or gal thinks, means less than zero.

Real men or women, simply own a situation, and take responsibility for their errors or mistakes. Small men, social deviants, or emotional adolescents deflect, obfuscate, attempt to confuse, and do everything in their power to deny that they made a mistake, or that they are responsible in any way, or on any level. They make up narratives about fake news, or alternative facts. Anything to avoid looking within, for the source of the problem. Anything.

What has this rant got to do with the OP? 

Absolutely nothing but yet another bash of the Thai people,  their country and their beliefs. 

I'm sure there is a rule disallowing these kind of comments on TVF. 

4 minutes ago, tryasimight said:

Absolutely nothing but yet another bash of the Thai people,  their country and their beliefs. 

It has everything to do with the post. Why did the minister blame the Thai people? It is known as deflection. He is unwilling to take responsibility for a health crisis, on his watch. It is their fault. It has nothing to do with me. Get the drift? It is not about bashing the Thai people. I love and adore the Thai people. I am married to one. They have so many qualities I admire, I could go on for hours. This is about calling a spade a spade. We all have our shortcomings. Face is perhaps the greatest of all Thai shortcomings, in my humble opinion.

Edited by spidermike007
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, Enoon said:

Many people, perhaps the majority, all around the world, have a tendency towards "irresponsibility".

That is exacerbated if the State, as in this case, basically ignores their behaviour (and the application of law) unless they have said the wrong thing about a VIP, or seem to be upsetting the nice comfortable status quo of the rich and powerful.

"There are no such things as bad soldiers, only bad officers (generals?) seems especially apt.

A general observation ?

1 hour ago, Cake Monster said:

So you actively condone shooting cats with BB guns do you ?

Sick

CATapult, blow pipe, club, anything goes when it comes to eradication but unfortunately there are elements that won't accept this or come up with a viable alternative.

• Thanks 1

Simply passing the "Buck" again.

How will they ever solve a problem when they refuse to accept or understand the problem in the first place.

Sometimes I really despair at the verbal nonsense.

Dr Jessada, come with me to the Tobacco Monopoly & have a look at literally hundreds of stray dogs

in dangerous packs roaming about looking for trouble. None of them have EVER had a registered owner.

Wake up Sir, the problem has been ignored for 30 years, & you continue to add to the confusion

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Cake Monster said:

So you actively condone shooting cats with BB guns do you ?

Sick

I feel that I have done myself an injustice here, so I would like to explain that the reason for condoning the shooting of stray vermin with BB guns is because real guns are not available for Westerners.

As to your other question about my health, I do have a touch of the flu coming on but I'm not too sick at the moment, thank you for asking.

Edited by Annunaki
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

The Ministry of Public Health should realize that not only the amount od stray dogs and cats have never been controlled/ Charity organisations and private sectors have been doing what they can to keep the strays   in some sort of clean order . The Ministry of Public Health should clean all the rubbish that's left on the side roads thats has been been dumped mainly by thias and stays festering and rotting. dogs however find food there and the thais with their little side cars motorbikes rummage through to find plastic bottles . many of the beaches have loads of dogs who are fed by the tourist and accumulate on the beaches which in turn are infested with dog Phoo and tar from the boats who dump old oil in the sea . Amazing Thailand Oh yes   

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, wvavin said:

The first step is to start shooting all the stray dogs & cats on sight. No need to check on ownership because if they are responsible, they should not appear along the roads.

does that also apply to people 

• Confused 1

15 minutes ago, Annunaki said:

I feel that I have done myself an injustice here, so I would like to explain that the reason for condoning the shooting of stray vermin with BB guns is because real guns are not available for Westerners.

As to your other question about my health, I do have a touch of the flu coming on but I'm not too sick at the moment, thank you for asking.

BB guns dont have the power to kill dogs 

• Haha 1

I have been coming to Thailand for many years and have seen Thai attitudes about culling the dogs. On Koh Samed it got so bad it was dangerous to walk on the beach without a club to protect yourself. The army came in with a bunch of vets to spay or if vicious destroy the dogs. One of my friends and his family were all standing outside there house when the kids should all have been in bed sleeping and when I asked why they weren't in bed he took me to the door and showed me about a dozen dogs inside destroying his house. I said why and he told me army killing or fixing dogs and that not Buddha way. No good.

• Like 1

On 3/19/2018 at 3:23 PM, dick dasterdly said:

"The soi dog problem in Thailand really is a blight on the country, and is undoubtedly the sort of thing that will keep the high roller tourists that are so keenly sought well away from the country"

Do you really believe this :shock1::laugh:?

If one is bitten and dies, perhaps yes.

On 3/19/2018 at 3:23 PM, dick dasterdly said:

"The soi dog problem in Thailand really is a blight on the country, and is undoubtedly the sort of thing that will keep the high roller tourists that are so keenly sought well away from the country"

Do you really believe this :shock1::laugh:?

I do, dont know about him, its a number of factors that keep the well heeled away, not to mention Families, to numerous to mention on here, and quite frankly i cant be Arsed.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, robertthesculptor said:

Always easy to play the blame game....party on

So nobody is to blame then ? any suggestions as to who might be to blame, or are you to busy Partying with your Kravat wearing Sculptor Friends.    Robertthe sculptor, says it all.    :cheesy:

• Like 1

6 hours ago, tryasimight said:

Sorry but this type of attitude is what is wrong with the Thai people and culture maybe you ought to get your head out of the sand. This particular problem like so many is due to this type of thinking. Sure it is their country and beliefs so why is their so call government complaining about it and blaming their own people. Are we saying anything different?  Sounds like you are part of the problem maybe you should read on and grow a backbone like the Thais and start to question what they themselves have acknowledge!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 3/19/2018 at 3:02 AM, keith101 said:

the best way would be to simply sterilise every stray dog and cat and any that owners are prepared to contribute to the cost of the service to eliminate the excessive amount of Soi dogs everywhere in this country , the passing of a law to make it mandatory could help the cause as well .

I think they should sterilise the owners, eventually that would solve the problem

• Like 1

On 3/19/2018 at 4:11 AM, JOC said:

Nonsense.....

The real problem is the unwillingness to cull the present stray population...

How many people will have to die before authorities realize, that there is only one (final) solution to the problem...?

Give it a rest. You are WRONG.  The worst part is that you wish to spread your ignorance of infectious disease management. The MoH is expressing a view consistent with public health positions around the world. 

Instead of pushing knee jerk simplistic reactions,  educate yourself on population dynamics, specifically what happens when  feral populations of dogs and cats  are reduced in a short period of time. Two things happen;

1. The population is quickly replaced because the same irresponsible animal management mentality remains, i.e. no spaying and neutering.

2. Infectious  deadly disease can quickly spread. Here's a hint: Read up on the bubonic plague.

The MoH has been fighting ignorance for decades and has always recommended that feral domestic animal populations be controlled. No one listened. Leave this matter to people who are educated. In respect to the  mortality rate here, it is negligible. If you really want to  know the hard reality, thousands more will die this year due to preventable deaths and through misadventure than they will of rabies. You are trying to spread panic and fear when there is no need for it.  I could take the money  spent on your fantasy of a massive slaughter, and could literally save more children from dehydration or malaria linked deaths than rabies.

2 hours ago, farmerjo said:

The issue seems to be with not getting rid of unwanted dogs but where do i dispose of them.

If you are caught killing animals on the basis you hint, you will face public rebuke including the potential for violence, and criminal prosecution. You may think you are funny, but you are not. There are Thais and  foreign residents who would have no hesitation in enlightening foreigners who wish to undertake such acts.

The foreigners who wish to behave in a cruel manner in Thailand will find themselves in a situation for which they are unprepared and for which their home countries will not be able to assist.  Learn form the past instances of where foreigners assumed they could act as vigilantes and ended up in fear for their lives. Think of machete man in Pattaya.

4 hours ago, DUNROAMIN said:

Blame it on the public, nothing to do with complete lack of responsibility from the Government. Half or more of dogs in Thailand are not owned by anyone, there all homeless strays, hence the name "soi dogs". Many of the dogs I have seen here are so mangy, under nourished and are in poor health. It is a disgrace to the Thai community and government that this is allowed to continue.

Adopt the same rules as Australia, all female dogs must be de-sexed after the age of 6 months. The only exception to this is if you are a certified and registered breeder, you can keep the female dog fertile for breeding.

If a dog is found roaming the streets and is not registered to an owner it is impounded for a period of time for an owner to claim the dog and pay a fine. If the dog has not been claimed or a new home found within 6 months, the dog is put to sleep.

Nothing to do with the government, agree to disagree when citizens run wild and create a situation that involves the health and safety of other citizen who would you think should step in? When Thailand is number #in the world for road accidents who do you think should step in?  When there is a medical epidemic like HIV, Dengue Fever, etc  who do you think should step in? You refer to Australia?  is that a government?  and if the honor system of the Australian people do put the dogs to sleep who do you want to step in?

Would your answer be the government by any chance? You say not the government but all your recommendation is asking the government to step in? Seems like this dog and cat problem in Thailand the people have failed wouldn't you think should be urge the government to step in or stand by and allow them to just simple say it is the Thai people, now that isn't rocket science at least to me!  The people have failed and the government has also fail to step in that is why they are being criticized!

Edited by thailand49

"Therefore he said he would like to propose the government to promulgate a law to tax and penalize irresponsible owners for the abandonment of unwanted pets."

Yes, now tax the pet owners, and you gonna make sure another millions have no shelter tomorrow. Thai logic at it's best. If you can't deal with it, call Chuck Norris.....