Beating at the temple - husband and wife set to face serious child abuse charges

webfact

4 hours ago, samjaidee said:

Nowhere in the article, either in English or Thai, does it say the the husband and wife are the parents of the two children who were beaten.

Why would a journalist omit such and important fact from the article?

Any thoughts, anyone? Any other sources that clarify their relationship?

I wondered the same thing! Just what is the relationship? Crap writing.

I can't see that the boys were physically hurt in a serious way.............. BUT.......... They were shamed in a way that they won't soon be forgotten by them....... I am pretty much on the side of the parents...... Good job..... I hope the law is not tough on them.........

I am 'Old' and in my youth we didn't have near as many 'juvinile deliquents' and criminals as we do today, per capativa.......

My mother (Bless her) always said..... "Spare the rod - spoil the child...... These kids weren't taken to any Hospital....... were They???????  I think the parents loved them more than any 'orphanage will love them'.........

And I expect a few bad replies to my post after what I have seen here ahead of my post, and I realize that opinions are all like A__holes.... We all have one............

Has any of the posters above me noticed what the boy had done??????????????

Without an memorable punishment those boys (most likely) would have gone on in their lives to do 'much worse' (As Thailand has Soooooooooo Much of Now Days)..........

You have your opinion........... I have Mine..........

Good on those Parents....... If they were WRONG........ they CERTAINLY had the right idea at heart.....................

11 hours ago, mok199 said:

and the boys may suffer a future of orphanages...having children is taken to lightly in some countrys,..and is the root cause of many social issues...leading to the endless cycle of poverty, crime and abuse ...Stop having children if you cant care for them...its simple

You call "stop having children" a simple solution? You can't fight mother nature. My wife has been begging her poor brothers and sisters to stop having children for years - they are now up to 3 a piece and every year a new one turns up by accident. Your simple solution doesn't work.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

Wow. Sounds like the parents really over reacted. In general, I would say the opposite is usually the case. I have been saying for a long time now, the youth of today are very scary people. They have little perspective on anything, and it seems that most parents worldwide, have lost the art of parenting. I am very, very fortunate to not have children. But, if I had them, I would be very strict. Children need boundaries, much like pets. They will test you, to determine where the limits are, and will try to find how far they can push you. I would not hesitate to show my kids where the line was!

These days parents are so hung up on trying to be "friends" with their kids, they hesitate to show them the limits. I see that everywhere I go these days. Here in Thailand it is very pronounced. I hear it is worse in China, where the parents spoil their kids rotten. It is very bad in the US.I am not apologizing for these parents, in this case. They were way over the top. I am speaking in general terms.

Please, no lectures on parent cruelty. I am NOT a believer in political correctness. On any level. Kids are kids. Parents are parents. In many cases, the kids own the parents. 

4 hours ago, Cheops said:

OMG, good that you don't have kids. Please don't ever try to have kids!

You sound like a feminine Opinion....... I raised 2 kids with 'tough' control and they are 'upstanding' citizens today........ You sound like you approve of modern day lenience on Kids that allow kids to go on thinking it is quite OK to go on doing Bad...... For me I think there is a connection between Kids in this post (stealing) and the increase on Criminal activity today, especially in Thailand today.........

I congratulate these parents for trying to do 'right' although a 'bit' (maybe) strong.......

BUT....... Take NOTICE........ There is no mention of the kids needing 'Medical Treatment'

41 minutes ago, tropo said:

You call "stop having children" a simple solution? You can't fight mother nature. My wife has been begging her poor brothers and sisters to stop having children for years - they are now up to 3 a piece and every year a new one turns up by accident. Your simple solution doesn't work.

mother natures receipt...1 egg... 250 million sperm..1 bottle of sangsom with ice..shag well and wait 9 mnths.......mabey if we remove the alcohol..???

Edited by mok199
speliing
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, mok199 said:

mother natures receipt...1 egg... 250 million sperm..1 bottle of sangsom with ice..shag well and wait 9 mnths.......mabey if we remove the alcohol..???

It's a problem I've been labouring with for years. Each additional niece and nephew costs us more money. Forced vasectomies would have helped, but it's too late now.... the 8th one is on its way. We've even paid for contraceptives along the way, but still, nearly one a year for a decade.

1 hour ago, tropo said:

Can't fight Mother Nature? Of course you can. There are things these days called contraceptive pills, or maybe your wife's "poor brothers and sisters" have never heard of them? Maybe you should explain that if a woman takes one pill every day, she will not have "an accident". If she forgets to take it "by accident", you can also get the "morning after" pill, which means she will not have a baby in 9 months time. Also it is possible for a man to have a simple operation so that he is unable to father children. 

The problem is that "Mother Nature" has inbred into every woman a need to have children, otherwise they are not a proper woman in their peers' eyes. It used to be called "barren", and such women were objects of scorn - not a "properly fulfilled woman". Nowadays, it is a matter of choice, and regardless of what certain religions have to say on the subject, nowadays women have the choice of when, or whether to have children at all Many couples decide that they would rather both have careers, make a bit of money, have material wealth, and enjoy "the fruits of their labour" -  then have children once they have a bit of security behind them rather than the household be dependent on one wage, and have a poorer lifestyle.

Obviously, if nobody had children, the human race would be doomed to eventual extinction, but to continually "pop" children into the world, and then expect society as a whole to look after them because you are financially incapable of doing so is an unfair burden on "childless people" (who may or may not be that way through choice)

So, you can fight "Mother Nature" - it just depends on whether you want to! It's a matter of choice - if you want to have children, fair enough, but you have to make sacrifices, and don't expect the rest of us to pick up the tab !!!

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, sambum said:

Can't fight Mother Nature? Of course you can. There are things these days called contraceptive pills, or maybe your wife's "poor brothers and sisters" have never heard of them? Maybe you should explain that if a woman takes one pill every day, she will not have "an accident". If she forgets to take it "by accident", you can also get the "morning after" pill, which means she will not have a baby in 9 months time. Also it is possible for a man to have a simple operation so that he is unable to father children. 

Maybe you should have read my previous reply first. 

Of course they have heard of them (contraceptive pills) and I've even bought them, but unless you're popping the pills directly into their mouths every day you're never going to guarantee success and even if you do they are not 100% reliable.

I don't run the wife's family with an iron fist, dude. They live in a different country, a country with a high fertility rate. Did you ever think that people may WANT to have offspring, despite what their brother-in-law is pontificating about NOT having children? It wouldn't matter what contraceptives you throw their way, it won't solve the problem. I'm actually part of the problem because they know, when push comes to shove, no matter how hard I protest (and I do, frequently), if the children really need help, I will help. Perhaps you'd just let them die? I don't. Also, once they are already born it useless to get angry about it.

Having said that, yes, a lot of developed nations have fought mother nature and won (or perhaps lost depending on your point of view because underpopulation is a huge problem too and hard to fix). You take tongue-in-cheek comments too literally. It wasn't meant to be a scientifically proven theory, but just how I feel after all the dramas prolific family breeding has caused me over the years. Some countries are in desperate need of children. Japan and China are in trouble with aging populations, but right now, mother nature is still winning overall, taking the whole planet into consideration.

Edited by tropo

12 minutes ago, tropo said:

Of course they have heard of them (contraceptive pills) and I've even bought them, but unless you're popping the pills directly into their mouths every day you're never going to guarantee success and even if you do they are not 100% reliable.

I don't run the wife's family with an iron fist, dude. They live in a different country, a country with a high fertility rate. Did you ever think that people may WANT to have offspring, despite what their brother-in-law is pontificating about NOT having children? It wouldn't matter what contraceptives you throw their way, it won't solve the problem. I'm actually part of the problem because they know, when push comes to shove, no matter how hard I protest (and I do, frequently), if the children really need help, I will help. Perhaps you'd just let them die? I don't. Also, once they are already born it useless to get angry about it.

Having said that, yes, a lot of developed nations have fought mother nature and won (or perhaps lost depending on your point of view because underpopulation is a huge problem too and hard to fix). You take tongue-in-cheek comments too literally. It wasn't meant to be a scientifically proven theory, but just how I feel after all the dramas prolific family breeding has caused me over the years. Some countries are in desperate need of children. Japan and China are in trouble with aging populations, but right now, mother nature is still winning overall, taking the whole planet into consideration.

I did read your previous reply, and 

14 minutes ago, tropo said:

First of all, if you want me to take you seriously - don't call me  "dude"! It's insulting, like calling a girl "babe"!

Secondly, "Did you ever think that people may WANT to have offspring," You've missed the point - yes, people want to have offspring, but I'll say it again - if you can't afford them - don't have them! You have readily admitted to being part of the problem, and if you throw a tantrum, and then once "they are born" you get over it, and have this "the children need help" attitude, it maybe explains why the "8th one is on its way", and prolific family breeding has probably cost you more than the price of a couple of beers over the years.

I'm not saying you should rule with an iron fist, "dude", but I would have thought that you should have learnt a few lessons after "3 apiece and every year a new one turning up "by accident", or is that just "tongue in cheek"? Somehow, I think not because you have already quoted "8", so don't complain about the money it's costing you , or as you would put it "dramas prolific family breeding has caused me over the years" You  obviously have the funds to afford your extended family, and if you want to carry on in the same way as you do now - up to you, but I am afraid that I wouldn't be taking the "population explosion" in my household so lightly, I can tell you!

I would also suggest that underpopulation is not such a big problem as overpopulation, (I think that there are quite enough Chinese and Japanese to go round, than you!) but I think I have made my point - if you want kids and can afford them, fair enough, but if you can't afford them - don't lumber the rest of us with your problems

1 hour ago, sambum said:

I did read your previous reply, and 

First of all, if you want me to take you seriously - don't call me  "dude"! It's insulting, like calling a girl "babe"!

No, you didn't read my last reply. I specifically mentioned I had spent money on contraceptives.

After getting this facetious comment from you:

"There are things these days called contraceptive pills, or maybe your wife's "poor brothers and sisters" have never heard of them? Maybe you should explain that if a woman takes one pill every day, she will not have "an accident". If she forgets to take it "by accident"...

Followed by a comment about the morning after pill. As if my wife's brothers and sisters are going to give me intimate details about how a condom broke so I can rush them down to the pharmacy to buy a "morning after pill" to prevent a pregnancy, which they probably want anyway, no matter how much I can try to convince them otherwise. Apart from that, emergency contraception is illegal in their country.

That's when I decided not to take you seriously anymore, and call you a "dude", dude.

So, yes, by all means, don't take me seriously. I have no problem with that.

My wife and I have put an extreme effort into preventing her family from breeding, including an education about contraceptives and buying them. It doesn't matter what you do or what you say, you will never be able to convince uneducated people in poor countries not to have children. They see too many success stories from members of other big families and hope they too can pull it off. Even you wouldn't succeed, despite the fact you know it all.

Edited by tropo

Not a child is the same, what is the same is the majority of parents who became 'parents' on a fortnight, and didn't and still don't have a clue about RAISING children not only FEEDING children, children born out of these relationships are usually tossed around between school and grandmother, so the incompetent of inability to raise, doesn't come to the surface, then something happens, and in order to show authority for once, excessive punishments like these occur.

And yes, children seek boundaries, which we let them, even a mistake is a learning process in out family, we can't imagine a life WITHOUT our children to be honest.

15 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

Wow. Sounds like the parents really over reacted. In general, I would say the opposite is usually the case. I have been saying for a long time now, the youth of today are very scary people. They have little perspective on anything, and it seems that most parents worldwide, have lost the art of parenting. I am very, very fortunate to not have children. But, if I had them, I would be very strict. Children need boundaries, much like pets. They will test you, to determine where the limits are, and will try to find how far they can push you. I would not hesitate to show my kids where the line was!

These days parents are so hung up on trying to be "friends" with their kids, they hesitate to show them the limits. I see that everywhere I go these days. Here in Thailand it is very pronounced. I hear it is worse in China, where the parents spoil their kids rotten. It is very bad in the US.I am not apologizing for these parents, in this case. They were way over the top. I am speaking in general terms.

Please, no lectures on parent cruelty. I am NOT a believer in political correctness. On any level. Kids are kids. Parents are parents. In many cases, the kids own the parents. 

• Thanks 1

19 hours ago, mok199 said:

and the boys may suffer a future of orphanages...having children is taken to lightly in some countrys,..and is the root cause of many social issues...leading to the endless cycle of poverty, crime and abuse ...Stop having children if you cant care for them...its simple

I was thinking exactly the same only last night as I watched a UK TV program about a family being evicted from their flat for non-payment of rent. Six children in total and wife heavily pregnant. Third world mentality struggling in the 1st world.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, tropo said:

It's a problem I've been labouring with for years. Each additional niece and nephew costs us more money. Forced vasectomies would have helped, but it's too late now.... the 8th one is on its way. We've even paid for contraceptives along the way, but still, nearly one a year for a decade.

my personal story..single no kids ,retired at 55,bought a nice shack on the beach ,met a thai gal .yada yada yada..now I have my first child, Josh is 4 now.....and sir ..I love my new life ,Im sober im healthy ,and yes I am broke..but I will always always be in my boys corner,and when he screws up I will take the beating with him...parenting is something most thais know nothing about ..my wife is great mother but her parenting skills are from the dark ages,...parenting is balancing act and having 2 different cultures, languages, poor schools and the fact we as the forienger are so out numbered in any given situation,only complicates matters, I already see my boys ,''fragile inflated thai male ego'',slowly emerging ,and this worrys me,so my wife and I talk and talk but she is thai and we all know what happens when you challenge or critizise a thai..I have made many enemys by speaking out over the years,but now I fight for my boy, and his right to say ''no''i don't agree ..have a good day .. ps yes they are a fertile bunch these thais

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, jackdd said:

In the Thai version they write เด็ก which refers to any child, if they were the parents they would write ลูก which would mean son or daughter. So i'm quite sure that these are not the parents. Just two adults who are married and two random children.

If that is correct, then these two deserve to be charged with assault.  How you discipline your own is your business, but it's a "no no" to touch other people's children.

12 hours ago, sawadeeken said:

You sound like a feminine Opinion....... I raised 2 kids with 'tough' control and they are 'upstanding' citizens today........ You sound like you approve of modern day lenience on Kids that allow kids to go on thinking it is quite OK to go on doing Bad...... For me I think there is a connection between Kids in this post (stealing) and the increase on Criminal activity today, especially in Thailand today.........

I congratulate these parents for trying to do 'right' although a 'bit' (maybe) strong.......

BUT....... Take NOTICE........ There is no mention of the kids needing 'Medical Treatment'

Thank you. A voice of reason, in the wilderness of "children run amok." It is an absolute fact, that children who know their boundaries, and grow up with a reasonable degree of discipline in their lives, and strong parents, or at least one strong parent, grow up to be better adjusted people, and have a better sense of themselves. I totally agree with sawadeeken on that point. 

I cannot tell you the number of times I have approached an adult in a movie theatre here, and asked if they can quiet down their child, or ask their child if they can stop running around the theater like wild monkeys in the jungle, screaming at the top of their lungs, while we are watching a film. Some have agreed, and had a conversation with their child, who bahaved better after that. Some simply said, "well, they are children. How am I supposed to ask them to be calm and be quiet?" I asked them, who is the parent here. You or them? And then calmly told them that the child, the owns them, the child is the parent, and they are the child, and they have already lost the fight. They sure did not like hearing that. But, it was the truth. 

Kids are not your friends. They are your children. Treat them as such. Love them, care for them, but do not try to be their friend, to the point where you are scared to death of offending them. That is purely ridiculous parenting.

• Like 1

If they were only tied to the tree and no physical abuse went on , I guess the parents just wanted to teach them a lesson. You shall not steal. Of course the shame is more of an issue here. But most Thai parents do not hit their kids .

12 hours ago, tropo said:

No, you didn't read my last reply. I specifically mentioned I had spent money on contraceptives.

After getting this facetious comment from you:

"There are things these days called contraceptive pills, or maybe your wife's "poor brothers and sisters" have never heard of them? Maybe you should explain that if a woman takes one pill every day, she will not have "an accident". If she forgets to take it "by accident"...

Followed by a comment about the morning after pill. As if my wife's brothers and sisters are going to give me intimate details about how a condom broke so I can rush them down to the pharmacy to buy a "morning after pill" to prevent a pregnancy, which they probably want anyway, no matter how much I can try to convince them otherwise. Apart from that, emergency contraception is illegal in their country.

That's when I decided not to take you seriously anymore, and call you a "dude", dude.

So, yes, by all means, don't take me seriously. I have no problem with that.

My wife and I have put an extreme effort into preventing her family from breeding, including an education about contraceptives and buying them. It doesn't matter what you do or what you say, you will never be able to convince uneducated people in poor countries not to have children. They see too many success stories from members of other big families and hope they too can pull it off. Even you wouldn't succeed, despite the fact you know it all.

Sorry, I was looking at a wrong "previous post" - my apologies.

However, by all means, don't take me seriously "anymore" (Did you ever?), and I certainly don't profess to know it all, but it seems to me like you're the one with the problem (or should I say "problems" in the plural), not me, so best of luck with them -  it seems like you and your wife have got your hands full in spite of all your efforts, sounds like you're going to need it -  "dude"!

1 hour ago, sambum said:

Sorry, I was looking at a wrong "previous post" - my apologies.

However, by all means, don't take me seriously "anymore" (Did you ever?), and I certainly don't profess to know it all, but it seems to me like you're the one with the problem (or should I say "problems" in the plural), not me, so best of luck with them -  it seems like you and your wife have got your hands full in spite of all your efforts, sounds like you're going to need it -  "dude"!

You're mistaking my posts for a whinge-fest. They are not! It's merely reality. I don't know why when anyone states a sad reality they assume that person is complaining. I've been involved with these type of problems since the first niece popped out in 2007, from her sister at age 14. She snuck out of the house and got herself pregnant. She's probably one of the smarter ones as she currently only has 2.

The difference between us is that I know the reality from being in the thick of it. You're theorizing, I'm living it. It's nice to say things are easy from the safety of a keyboard, but the reality is often quite different. In actual fact, I am probably making a difference. Perhaps I am cutting the families down to 3 a piece instead of the usual 6 - 10 in this area of the world. They don't require the influence of outside money to breed. They are currently averaging 2.67 per family, so they are just over the replacement fertility rate of 2.4.

6 minutes ago, tropo said:

You're mistaking my posts for a whinge-fest. They are not! It's merely reality. I don't know why when anyone states a sad reality they assume that person is complaining. I've been involved with these type of problems since the first niece popped out in 2007, from her sister at age 14. She snuck out of the house and got herself pregnant. She's probably one of the smarter ones as she currently only has 2.

The difference between us is that I know the reality from being in the thick of it. You're theorizing, I'm living it. It's nice to say things are easy from the safety of a keyboard, but the reality is often quite different. In actual fact, I am probably making a difference. Perhaps I am cutting the families down to 3 a piece instead of the usual 6 - 10 in this area of the world. They don't require the influence of outside money to breed. They are currently averaging 2.67 per family, so they are just over the replacement fertility rate of 2.4.

I'm not theorising at all - I am married to a Thai lady with 2 grown up children, and I have a grown up daughter of my own from a previous marriage, so I know what happens in this country and my homeland.

I also never said things were easy - where did you get that from? In actual fact, I wished you the best of luck in your situation, but I still stand by what I said in my original post which is that people should not have kids if they can't afford to look after them, and I think we have exhausted the topic now, so have a nice day with your extended family - sorry but that situation would not be for me! 

1 hour ago, sambum said:

I'm not theorising at all - I am married to a Thai lady with 2 grown up children, and I have a grown up daughter of my own from a previous marriage, so I know what happens in this country and my homeland.

I also never said things were easy - where did you get that from? In actual fact, I wished you the best of luck in your situation, but I still stand by what I said in my original post which is that people should not have kids if they can't afford to look after them, and I think we have exhausted the topic now, so have a nice day with your extended family - sorry but that situation would not be for me! 

You are theorising because your situation and mine are world's apart, and not even in the same country. You are theorising that I should be able to prevent breeding in my wife's family by educating them about contraceptives and the folly of having children they cannot afford. That just doesn't work. Mother nature is your enemy.

Of course, people shouldn't have kids if they can't afford to look after them. That has been my mantra my whole life. I don't even have a child of my own or a previous marriage. The difference is ideology. Westerners constantly stress about the future. Poorer communities tend to live day to day. They leave their children in the hands of a higher power.

Of course, my situation would not be for you. It wasn't for me either, but one day became the next and one year leads to another and eventually, this is how things turned out irrespective of whether the situation suited me or not. These things don't happen overnight. You took a different route by marrying an older lady with her own children. It's quite likely that her sisters and brothers were already matured with their own families too. My wife's siblings were all young teenagers or younger when we met. That's where our situations deviated. I don't know if you planned this and decided that marrying an older woman with a ready-made family would better suit your future needs or not. I'm merely stating that controlling breeding is not up to you or me. You can try as you like, mother nature is not easy to control. You can't control it because ultimately you cannot control other people's lives, as more than one parent has learned the hard way. Were you in the same boat I'd put money down you'd also fail.

Edited by tropo