Last name incorrectly translated on work permit.

October of 2016 I was issued my work permit. I had no idea they incorrectly translated my last name. Now after I got married, my marriage certificate has the correct translation and as I'm using the marriage certificate for tax purposes (next year) my work staff is telling me I will have problems because the last names are different (slightly) 

How can I get the name corrected on the work permit? It's due for renewal in October this year. Can I request a new one with correct translation? 

Thanks

Yes I believe the Labour Department will amend the Thai spelling. I had the same issue when I applied for Permanent Residence. My name had been transliterated incorrectly for years but no one noticed (or cared) up until then.

I don't recall the process but it was easy. They didn't issue a new WP, just crossed out the old Thai script and typed it again.

1 hour ago, Bangkok or bust said:

How can I get the name corrected on the work permit? It's due for renewal in October this year. Can I request a new one with correct translation? 

You can request this change anytime or wait until the renewal, here is the form required to make the change and you should provide your marriage certificate as the documentary evidence for the change.

https://www.doe.go.th/prd/assets/upload/files/alien_en/172ea2f9ddfe20a6eb965dc36bd6da59.pdf

9 minutes ago, Mattd said:

You can request this change anytime or wait until the renewal, here is the form required to make the change and you should provide your marriage certificate as the documentary evidence for the change.

https://www.doe.go.th/prd/assets/upload/files/alien_en/172ea2f9ddfe20a6eb965dc36bd6da59.pdf

Thank you very much.

10 minutes ago, Mattd said:

For me the biggest thing is to get everything matching the name on your tax records.

I would make sure that the other names match it.

The tax office will not accept a name change, as they explained to me, if we did anyone could then claim your tax rebate using other paperwork.

11 minutes ago, overherebc said:

For me the biggest thing is to get everything matching the name on your tax records.

The tax office will not accept a name change, as they explained to me, if we did anyone could then claim your tax rebate using other paperwork.

Agreed, it is important, although in this instance not so bad, as this change is the Thai version of his surname.

His TIN will not change, nor the English spelling of his Surname in his WP & passport, whenever I've dealt with the revenue department then these are the key items for identification and my full name is always spelt in English on anything to & from the RD, including on any cheques for a tax refund, even though everything else may be in Thai.

I have to admit there is a phobia here regarding changes to names, especially if Thai, my ex. wife has changed her forename 4 times and this has caused all sorts of issues in the past when dealing with anything official, whole stack of name change certificates have to be provided and yet there has and always will be one constant, her ID number!

Edited by Mattd

10 minutes ago, Mattd said:

Agreed, it is important, although in this instance not so bad, as this change is the Thai version of his surname.

His TIN will not change, nor the English spelling of his Surname in his WP & passport, whenever I've dealt with the revenue department then these are the key items for identification and my full name is always spelt in English on anything to & from the RD, including on any cheques for a tax refund, even though everything else may be in Thai.

I have to admit there is a phobia here regarding changes to names, especially if Thai, my ex. wife has changed her forename 4 times and this has caused all sorts of issues in the past when dealing with anything official, whole stack of name change certificates have to be provided and yet there has and always will be one constant, her ID number!

Worked for one, very good, Thai company for a few years and the MD changed his name.

You can imagine the paperwork involved in that.

3 hours ago, thedemon said:

Yes I believe the Labour Department will amend the Thai spelling. I had the same issue when I applied for Permanent Residence. My name had been transliterated incorrectly for years but no one noticed (or cared) up until then.

I don't recall the process but it was easy. They didn't issue a new WP, just crossed out the old Thai script and typed it again.

I don't think there is a 'correct' way to write a Western name in Thai, as it depends how you pronounce your name and how other people pronounce it.

Same with Chinese, they try to make something that 'sounds' the same, but is often not how we'd pronounce it.  

At the end of the day your Thai name, whichever one you choose, is upto you based in your ability to say it in Thai and write it when required.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, seancbk said:

At the end of the day your Thai name, whichever one you choose, is upto you based in your ability to say it in Thai and write it when required.

In this instance the OP just wants to align the Thai spelling of his existing surname, so it matches his marriage certificate and work permit, you do not get a choice like that.

My Thai drivers license noticed my birthdate is incorrect.  Even though my passport spells out the month.  I figured ignore it until renewal. 

Wife said when is your real birthday 6/1 or 1/6.......crazy things they ask

1 hour ago, Mattd said:

In this instance the OP just wants to align the Thai spelling of his existing surname, so it matches his marriage certificate and work permit, you do not get a choice like that.

Yes and even without that issue if it is an inaccurate transliteration that you might have to put up with for the rest of your life it is worth putting some effort into getting it right while it is still relatively easy to do so.

12 hours ago, overherebc said:

I recommend strongly against trying to apply for a change to match the Thai spelling of the name on the marriage records to the Thai spelling on the tax records. Instead, get the spelling on the work permit changed.

Once the Thai spelling of a foreigner is registered in the respective government database for the first time under the Civil Registration Act, which in the case of the OP seems to have occurred with his wedding, it is advisable to use thenceforth only that spelling for other official documents and records.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Bangkok or bust said:

October of 2016 I was issued my work permit. I had no idea they incorrectly translated my last name.

In what respect was your surname incorrectly transcribed into Thai on your work permit? Did your employer give a Thai transcription of your name on the application form for the work permit and the Department of Employment typed it differently on the work permit?

Regardless of how it happened, the district office that registered your marriage presumably used the Royal Thai General System of Transcription (RTGS) for its transcription of your name.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Maestro said:

In what respect was your surname incorrectly transcribed into Thai on your work permit? Did your employer give a Thai transcription of your name on the application form for the work permit and the Department of Employment typed it differently on the work permit?

Regardless of how it happened, the district office that registered your marriage presumably used the Royal Thai General System of Transcription (RTGS) for its transcription of your name.

I guess the staff at labor department took it upon themselves to leave an "S" out of my name. 

The same mistake was made on my divorce document, which my fiance corrected for them at the Amphure. So My new marriage certificate has the correct Thai spelling. I will use that to get the correction done.