Why Asian women might prefer to date white guys

honu

There's the one obvious answer that's going to occur to people here, for financial gain, and that's part of it.  So is a potential status-level boost, or problems with dating local Asians, seeing foreigners as a viable alternative.

I answered a Quora question about all that, and listed what I thought the full set of reasons might be:

https://www.quora.com/Whats-something-that-Asian-girls-specifically-prefer-about-white-guys-over-Asian-guys/answer/John-Bickel-5

The last part isn't so simple.  People aren't as into cultural stereotypes or gender stereotypes as they had been these days but there's still something to all of that.

Women can keep getting more assertive and independent and Eastern and Western cultures can mix and shift but the old standard forms don't completely vanish.  They never were principles that held in all cases, type-stereotypes, but the funny thing about stereotypes is that there's usually an underlying truth to them, mixed with them not being true in a lot of ways and cases.

It occurs to me that to the extent those stereotypes still do apply (that Asians are more group oriented, or men more assertive / aggressive, and so on) that the stereotype set for Asians matches up with women better, and men's type better with Western culture.

Maybe all this is just common sense, or maybe I'm way off on some parts.  It's written more for a Western-based audience, for the typical Quora reader, (like Yahoo answers, but a dedicated social media site), where it's not such familiar ground.

The perspective was more about why Asian women would feel an attraction, not why using an older white guy as a steady stream of income without actually maintaining much of a romantic relationship works out much better. 

That was the first part though, that it really could just be a financial move.  Just minus the idea that it wouldn't have to get in the way of dating or maintaining a second long-term relationship.

There are various reasons, here are the main reasons:

Money: The dark girl from Isaan or a woman who was married already or has children already won't find a wealthy Thai man, but a Farang is possible, so they go for foreigners

Appearance: Look at the advertisements, many "luk kreung", white skin and so on. The look of a westerner is considered attractive, so for a girl who grows up in this environment a foreigner is more attractive (also other attributes, like height etc.)

Character: Maybe some Thai girls just prefer the character of westerners more than the character of Thai men. Maybe some have bad experience with Thai men and think with a foreigner everything will be better.

Attention in their social circle: Having a Farang BF is something special or exoctic. As soon as her friends (real friends, friends at work, school, university, whatever) find out that she is dating one she gets a lot of attention, everybody wants to know how it is to date a foreigners, the girls like to ask her things like: Does your BF have a Farang friend who i can meet?

Edited by jackdd