5 vs 1: French tourist attacked in Pattaya [VIDEO]

Jonathan Fairfield

7 hours ago, hyku1147 said:

No. They have decreased in both frequency and severity.

Most of the time, a Farang makes a Thai lose face. Loudmouths get away with it in the Anglo West, but it dosn't go unanswered here. On the other hand, Farangs need to be very careful in certain night clubs because the staff can react with little provocation. That being said, I have had 5 loudmouth confrontations  in the last year, 2 in Cambodia, and three in Pattaya - and they were all with rude Farangs.

Did you have 4 friends with you?

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, jacko45k said:

They were, more than nowadays?

Pre 10 years back, attacks on tourists were unheard of, and I have felt the increase was more 'recent' times.

:cheesy: No. Stop wearin' them rear-view rose-tinted glasses, man. 10 years ago? Try 20 already. Not only were they "heard of" but regularly reported and decried by the hysterics and fear-mongers of that time. Pattaya was already inundated with obnoxious thugs insulting, assaulting, drugging, robbing, and extorting tourists. Police helpless! And also setting up and extorting tourists! It was so bad that the Golden Egg Layers were already going the paradise of Cambodia, leaving the impoverishment we see today.

And since then we've just been caught in the Perpetual Pattaya Death Spiral with yearly death announcements by our professional TVF Coroners. There's never any improvement, as you well know. No wonder!!!

There are two types of articles appearing in the Pattaya Mail with regularity: those where business and political leaders decry the decline in tourism and propose ways to improve the situation; and a steadily increasing number of reports of tourists being insulted, assaulted, drugged, robbed and extorted. All the good intentions and empty proposals by community leaders are not going to change the behavior of the people at street level, and it is they who are driving away the life blood of the city.

. . . It doesn’t matter if the streets are cleared of garbage, no one is going to walk down them if doing so leaves them open to being insulted and assaulted. Having a beach promenade doesn’t matter if strolling along it means taking the risk of being knocked down and robbed. No one is going to participate in the vibrant night-life if there is a good chance that they will wake up three days later in the hospital with all their possessions gone, or in some cases, not wake up at all. No one is going to seek an exotic experience if it means they might be set up by girls with both a legal age and under age ID, and then extorted for immense sums by the police.

Pattaya is being inundated with rude obnoxious thugs who do not care about the city or its visitors. They do not listen to the community leaders, and the police do not have the budget or manpower to control them. They are driving away the tourists and the income and jobs that they bring. Inevitably, this rabble will win as they reduce everyone to their level of poverty.

Meanwhile, tourism to Cambodia is increasing by 50% every six months...

--Lawrence Neal, "Down On Pattaya, Pattaya Mail, Vol. V No.5, Friday 31 January 1997 - 6 February 1997

4 hours ago, uffe123 said:

20 years ago nice place to come for weekend with family. No more

1. No. 2. Better than ever! :biggrin:

Edited by JSixpack
  • Like 1

Multiple racist posts and replies have been removed.

11) You will not post slurs, degrading or overly negative comments directed towards Thailand, specific locations, Thai institutions such as the judicial or law enforcement system, Thai culture, Thai people or any other group on the basis of race, nationality, religion, gender or sexual orientation.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Henrik Andersen said:

Meaby this was a  grumpy Lb but it sounds better of group of 5 Thai men 

And he doesn't really remember what happen but remember group of 5 men??????

I wonder how much you would remember after getting the siht kicked out of you by as many?

• Like 1

21 hours ago, hyku1147 said:

10 years back  tourist beatings  were commonplace.

20 years back, not so much.

Seems the trend is a roller coaster ride, hopefully going back to the numbers 20 years ago.............................:thumbsup:

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, chrisinth said:

20 years back, not so much.

Seems the trend is a roller coaster ride, hopefully going back to the numbers 20 years ago.............................:thumbsup:

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, JSixpack said:

Ooops, never saw that J.....................:smile:

Edit: After reading the article shown by JSixpack, maybe 20 years (rightly so thinking about it) was not far enough back, but I still feel that the number of incidents were less than 10 years ago.

My personal viewpoint on what happened then was the sudden influx of the Thai 'ma-laeng saab' (cockroaches) who would offer a shoulder to cry on for the working girls. Increasing the girls to their own little harems and taking the money that was destined originally for home after a time. Introduce the drugs for additional reliance and start them gambling to increase the odds of a profit and it was win-win. These people are still there, in greater numbers now-a-days.

This viewpoint is based on source, back then when living there, I was out and about in Pattaya a lot. Knew a lot of girls working the bars and go-gos. The above was the general consensus from the girls I knew well.

Only one factor to the problem I know, but for me a major one.

Edited by chrisinth
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Just Weird said:

Really?  Lucky you were there to witness it and clarify everything.

Hehe sorry if I came off too confident in my opinion. 

It's just a guess.

It fits the facts we do have.

I could be wrong of course.

they look like girl scratches on his back or wannade girls scratches. if he got away from a beating by 5 thai guys with such little injuries i woould be very surprised. seems the truth is he really has no clue what happened and saying he was attacked by 5 guys sounds better than a couple of girls/man girls. man up frog boy. no need for the crying crap

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Polaky said:

How quickly people turn on Pattaya because of a couple indiscretions by a bunch of anti socials, It is still a lovely place to holiday as more and more tourists arrive every day as testimony , family friendly resort,,, if you don't venture out after dark, when quality tourist's are attacked it becomes a problem, because as we all know there are not that many quality tourists, so they should be protected, quality tourists include Frenchmen and women, quality tourists are not cheap charlie's and contribute to the well being of Thai businesses, these sort of attacks happen everywhere not just Pattaya, Thai's in general would also be outraged by these events as it burns a hole in their pocket as well as their pride, when the culprits are brought into custody, once again will families be able to venture out after dark and empty their wallets to assist the thai economy.

I don't think that you've ever been to Thailand. 

• Like 2

There alwaya have been this kind of incident late at night in a big party town like Pattaya. The only difference is that nowadays there is social media to post about it and Thai Visa forum for all of you that hate Pattaya to vent your feelings time and time again. Its getting boring. Get a life please.

Edited by jimn
  • Like 1

Maybe just maybe this is the solution to ridding Pattaya of its perceived image. I mean by the sounds of the place you need to be very unlucky in the looks department if you cannot score earlier than 2am and if your the type that does not know when the nights over then walking about at 4am is going to come at a cost. Tourists out after 2am with no visible police presence and drunk are kind of asking for trouble. Feel a bit sorry for Pattaya as it does sound like it could be all this trouble in a very small part of this place and if that is the case then that is a tad unfair.

5 hours ago, JarekN said:

I really can't wait till the tourism in TH crashes and half of the tools have to go back to planting rice :P

Sadly, if that were to actually happen, it would likely be mostly the nicer folks heading back home, and the concentration of the "tools" you refer to would just increase.

• Like 2

Sorry, but something doesn't add up here. A few years ago I had an argument with a Thai guy on Chinese New Year. But it turned out really nasty and five people kept on kicking me when I was on the ground. Nobody had the intention to stop until my wife then told them that I'd be already dead.

They were five or six and I was left with a broken nose three broken rips, plenty wounds that needed stitches and a lot of blood. I don't see anything similar when I look at the Frenchy.