Whats wrong with you foreigners

The last time I spoke to a farang was in Vientiane doing a visa run.

I spoke to 4 chaps.

1. Old army veteran, chatted to him for 10 minutes. He confirmed in the 1st minute he had killed someone. He also confirmed 4 times that he knew he talked a lot. I actually believed what he said and yes he talked a lot about himself.

2. One chap that asked me twice what number I was in queue.

3. A guy who seemed ok but he then began talking about the end of the world like he knew it was happening in 2019. Loudly in the queue.

4. English guy young, dirty, was literally only talking to people to announce "I work online" was very funny as he asked what one guy does, guy answers and says next " you should check out pai" English guy automatically assumes the guy asked him what he does and says " I work online"

That was 2nd June. 

I have not spoken to a farang since.

On the odd occasions I converse with a farang it is usually a casual “ watcha” or “ hey “ or just a nod of the head, which is fine.
I have had longer conversations than this [emoji51], but any conversation that turns into a list of things they’ve done or places they’ve been then I usually cut short the conversation with an excuse and go on my way. If they perceive that I am not interested in their “ oneupmanship “ no problem !

A few months ago I encountered a farang ( we were both on bicycles in the local soi, I was with my gf ) and we exchanged names, hometowns in the uk and length of time in LOS. It was a short but pleasant conversation with a fellow Brit and as I stated that I knew the house he lived in he invited me to call in for a beer sometime to which I accepted although I had no intention of doing so.
A couple of weeks later he passed me on the back of his wife’s mc and blanked me ( turned his head to the other side as he passed ).
A couple of weeks later as I was in my car waiting for the gf in the 7/11 I saw him approaching on foot, I gave him the benefit of doubt and as he drew level I dropped the window and gave him a friendly “ watcha “ ! He seemed surprised and just said “hey” but carried on, but then tried to engage my gf in conversation as she walked back to the car .

Made me wonder what was the guys motive for trying to appear friendly on the first meeting !!

5 hours ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

On the odd occasions I converse with a farang it is usually a casual “ watcha” or “ hey “ or just a nod of the head, which is fine.
I have had longer conversations than this emoji51.png, but any conversation that turns into a list of things they’ve done or places they’ve been then I usually cut short the conversation with an excuse and go on my way. If they perceive that I am not interested in their “ oneupmanship “ no problem !

A few months ago I encountered a farang ( we were both on bicycles in the local soi, I was with my gf ) and we exchanged names, hometowns in the uk and length of time in LOS. It was a short but pleasant conversation with a fellow Brit and as I stated that I knew the house he lived in he invited me to call in for a beer sometime to which I accepted although I had no intention of doing so.
A couple of weeks later he passed me on the back of his wife’s mc and blanked me ( turned his head to the other side as he passed ).
A couple of weeks later as I was in my car waiting for the gf in the 7/11 I saw him approaching on foot, I gave him the benefit of doubt and as he drew level I dropped the window and gave him a friendly “ watcha “ ! He seemed surprised and just said “hey” but carried on, but then tried to engage my gf in conversation as she walked back to the car .

Made me wonder what was the guys motive for trying to appear friendly on the first meeting !!

Very awkward situation. What did the chap try to talk to Mrs Dwyer about?

I forgot to mention a 5th farang in my post. Quiet Irish chap with a 8 year old thai/Irish son who spoke very good English with an Irish accent (son) was a top bloke.

15 hours ago, sanemax said:

When felangs come and talk to me, they dont seem to want to talk with me, they just want to talk to me about themselves .

They just seem to want to tell me about themselves , how many times they've been married and which Countries their former Wifes came from , how many kids they got , what job they are doing , how much they used to drink and for how long that they havent touched a drop for and theyve always got a manly reason for quitting drinking "All my mates died from alcohol poisoning" , "Doctor said that one more drink will kill me " , "I been in jail too many times for doing things when drunk" , "I lost three wifes through drinking, dont want to lose another one" and the underlying message behind everything he says seems to be *I'm better than you in every aspect*

Every sentence begins with "I" and every seventh word is "I" , and after 30 minutes of telling me about themselves , they shake my hand , tell me their name, and walk away

Life can be made a good deal easier, and, one possibly learns more, by being a good listener ?

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

I have had longer conversations than this emoji51.png, but any conversation that turns into a list of things they’ve done or places they’ve been then I usually cut short the conversation with an excuse and go on my way. If they perceive that I am not interested in their “ oneupmanship “ no problem !

I've been fortunate to have a varied and interesting life, I don't even start to relate my story to strangers, first they are better company and comfortable talking about themselves, so this I encourage, second, most could be a little envious of my lifestyle and achievements, probably accuse me of fabrication, embellishment, and heaven forbid 'oneupmanship'!

Edited by 473geo
Because nothing is impossible

3 minutes ago, 473geo said:

I've been fortunate to have a varied and interesting life, I don't even start to relate my story to strangers, first they are better company and comfortable talking about themselves, so this I encourage, second, most could be a little envious of my lifestyle and achievements, probably accuse me of fabrication, embellishment, and heaven forbid 'oneupmanship'!

Fabrication seems to be your style. You have used someone else's content to quote me.

1 minute ago, Rc2702 said:

This is not one of your interesting life stores is it. Your right, very envious.

Yes when I put 'envious' in I suspected noses might be disjointed at the audacity, no worries...enjoy your evening

10 minutes ago, 473geo said:

Yes when I put 'envious' in I suspected noses might be disjointed at the audacity, no worries...enjoy your evening

I'm sure it will be a best seller at pound land on a 241. You too.

I have observed quite the opposite with the dark-skinned men. Seems like they always spot each other when out and about, and acknowledge each other with either a nod, a smile, a "hey!" or a "hey brother!". Doesn't matter whether they're from Nigeria, Kenya, Belgium, USA, or even Thai (when I walk with my half black-half white friend around ekamai, this half Thai-half black school boy always notices him and one day my friend nodded at the boy and he nodded back). Please excuse the terms that I used that may or may not be correct where you're from. I don't know what other word(s) would be appropriate. I just thought that this pattern of behavior is quite pleasant. A sort of "brotherhood" because they all share similar skin color and ethnicity, that it doesn't matter where they're from, they still acknowledge each other instead of ignore or run away from each other like OP's story. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, 473geo said:

Couldn't be an autobiography too busy making new chapters ? life is good

There was a discussion recently about people who feel the need to say that. I imagine the same people like to bang on about themself and their interesting lives. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Rc2702 said:

There was a discussion recently about people who feel the need to say that. I imagine the same people like to bang on about themself and their interesting lives. 

Imagine away because I am not 'people' and as long as I feel good about myself, and my life, I sure have no reason or need to relate my life experiences to 'people' I meet. Of course where applicable such as the farming forum there is perhaps a requirement to qualify advice or comment with a little 'experience'

4 minutes ago, 473geo said:

Imagine away because I am not 'people' and as long as I feel good about myself, and my life, I sure have no reason or need to relate my life experiences to 'people' I meet. Of course where applicable such as the farming forum there is perhaps a requirement to qualify advice or comment with a little 'experience'

All this because you misquoted me. Really interesting this. No oneupmanship here at all. No way.

If you like I can send you a PM.

Do you have a 32 inch or bigger screen for viewing purposes? 

2 minutes ago, Rc2702 said:

All this because you misquoted me. Really interesting this. No oneupmanship here at all. No way.

If you like I can send you a PM.

Do you have a 32 inch or bigger screen for viewing purposes? 

Nice try lead me in, but you failed,  because oneupmanship is not the same as holding up your corner against attempts at unwarranted criticism

My laptop is 15" my TV is screen is not much bigger not into the home cinema stuff

1 minute ago, 473geo said:

Nice try lead me in, but you failed,  because oneupmanship is not the same as holding up your corner against attempts at unwarranted criticism

My laptop is 15" my TV is screen is not much bigger not into the home cinema stuff

Give it a bloody rest. You are boring the living daylights out of me.you misquoted me. For clarity. You quoted the wrong persons content and made it look like my post. So give it a blinking rest mr perfect life!

1 hour ago, 473geo said:

To emphasise that point, I would have deleted the post before posting; I know - easily said in retrospect; less easily done in the heat of the moment.

I brought all my prejudices here - and top prejudices they are, too, but before I strike up a conversation I hesitate; what if he’s fae Tarnent? If he kens the boys fi the ‘Burgh?

22 hours ago, NoMeAmes said:

I have observed quite the opposite with the dark-skinned men. Seems like they always spot each other when out and about, and acknowledge each other with either a nod, a smile, a "hey!" or a "hey brother!". Doesn't matter whether they're from Nigeria, Kenya, Belgium, USA, or even Thai (when I walk with my half black-half white friend around ekamai, this half Thai-half black school boy always notices him and one day my friend nodded at the boy and he nodded back). Please excuse the terms that I used that may or may not be correct where you're from. I don't know what other word(s) would be appropriate. I just thought that this pattern of behavior is quite pleasant. A sort of "brotherhood" because they all share similar skin color and ethnicity, that it doesn't matter where they're from, they still acknowledge each other instead of ignore or run away from each other like OP's story. 

Yes I've noticed the same. Very occasionally a black guy acknowledges me and I acknowledge him simply because we're both foreigners. I appreciate the gesture. A black person acknowledging the presence of another black person in a country like Thailand could also be, other than perceived kinship due to the fact that they are a very small minority here, much smaller than westerners.

Although I have occasionally seen black people in unlikely places like Isarn and northern Thailand, on average I don't have to look very hard and can spot a westerner almost anywhere in Thailand - from petrol (gas) stations along the highway to rural areas and small border crossings with neighboring countries, westerners are everywhere it seems! Earlier this month I saw a westerner riding a motorcycle with sidecart, had his dog with him coming from a local Thai-Cambodian border crossing that is not yet open for foreigners. Was he also there, like me, to enquire about when the border will open to foreigners? Just 20km later, another westerner was walking along the highway about 20km south of Aranyaprathet. Normally one only sees farang in Aranyaprathet city, particularly around the border crossing and not in a rural area like I was in.

But yeah it is kind of funny to see black people here automatically seeking each other out and becoming friends, just because they have the same skin color. To most westerners, this is something that should be avoided because we've been taught it's "racist" to associate only with our own kind, LOL. Perhaps this helps to explain why many a westerner runs away from another westerner. Of course there are, as I have pointed out before many unsavory types but it's not fair to paint everyone with the same brush. I certainly don't judge people until I've actually had a conversation with them and know a little bit about them. Equally of course, there are many westerners I avoid like the bar stool types in Pattaya - they can be trouble. Then again I don't go to girly bars so I won't meet these types of people unless I see them in the local Tesco Lotus or something.

On 6/17/2018 at 12:02 AM, Rc2702 said:

The last time I spoke to a farang was in Vientiane doing a visa run.

I spoke to 4 chaps.

1. Old army veteran, chatted to him for 10 minutes. He confirmed in the 1st minute he had killed someone. He also confirmed 4 times that he knew he talked a lot. I actually believed what he said and yes he talked a lot about himself.

2. One chap that asked me twice what number I was in queue.

3. A guy who seemed ok but he then began talking about the end of the world like he knew it was happening in 2019. Loudly in the queue.

4. English guy young, dirty, was literally only talking to people to announce "I work online" was very funny as he asked what one guy does, guy answers and says next " you should check out pai" English guy automatically assumes the guy asked him what he does and says " I work online"

That was 2nd June. 

I have not spoken to a farang since.

Geez there must be a lot of riff-raff applying for Thai tourist visas the Vientiane embassy these days. Last time I needed a visa from there was a few years ago and I actually met a very interesting American fella. I showed him around Vientiane for the rest of the day on my motorcycle and we exchanged contact details. Haven't seen or heard from him since, but he certainly livened up the day for me.

• Like 2

No, that's not racism.  Has nothing to do with racism.  I wouldn't even call that ignorant.  There are foreigners in Thailand who assume that every Thai person in Thailand can speak English.  Now that's ignorant. 

Let me put it to you another way. I lived many years in Hawaii. It used to be true that 99 percent

Of the tourists came from Japan. Now it is half overrun with Koreans. Some of the local staff who should be saying Aloha, or Hello are greeting the Koreans with “Konaychaiwa!” and “ogenkidesuka?”

I seen more than once the Korean got angry and yelled I AM NOT JAPANESE!

Is that just ignorance? Isn’t it racism to assume that any tourist with an Asian face speaks Japanese?

Similarly in Thailand I don’t assume people with a “white” face speak English. I think it is most appropriate to use the local language, Thai. People have some pride in their culture so I don’t go around pushing English on folks. Why don’t you go up to Quebec? Try speaking English to all all the white people there and see how politely you are accepted.

As for the need to greet every Farang in the street as my close comrade no need. I treat strangers in the the same why Thai people treat other random Thai people. Politely. Making small talk in elevators and immigration lines is not part of everybody’s culture.

Now if some want to talk to me in English, or Thai (basic) I’m happy to respond but it won’t be me initiating small talk in an elevator.