back to training - loaded carries

robblok

On 6/21/2018 at 10:30 AM, Justfine said:

40.25kgs for 800m. Had to fight for it but feel fine after. Forearms still pumped though. 

That is quite a bit you did well done. My experience is that it sometimes varies where i feel it. Its like when one weak point picks up an other takes its place. Before it was grip and forearms. Now its more shoulders and traps and then some days it changes.

• Replies 360
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 6/22/2018 at 6:38 PM, Justfine said:

Good weights session today as well. Spliting was a good idea.

Splitting is always a good idea loaded carries are often used as a finisher not a starter so splitting it is a good idea if you don't do it as the last exercise.

Had a good session in the morning 7:30  and then at 13.00 i did weights. I had a bit of time off and less frequency. I noticed a strength gain in weight session but not for the loaded carries. 

7 minutes ago, hyku1147 said:

I am making good progress [using 5 3 1] on squats, and satisfactory progress on bench; however, dead lift progress has been poor - at best. Consequently, I tried pyramiding the DL (Which some posters had recommended), and I was amazed by the results. The last double and single were 8 -10 percent higher than what I had achieved with 5 3 1. Also, I has no DOMS the next day.

Thanks for the good advice.

Cheers.

Need some time to google the digital and letter stuff, but sounds your stuff is working.... cool...:thumbsup:

55 minutes ago, transam said:

Need some time to google the digital and letter stuff, but sounds your stuff is working.... cool...:thumbsup:

DL = Dealift

DOMS = delayed onset muscle soreness (just the standard sore muscles the day after)

1 hour ago, hyku1147 said:

I am making good progress [using 5 3 1] on squats, and satisfactory progress on bench; however, dead lift progress has been poor - at best. Consequently, I tried pyramiding the DL (Which some posters had recommended), and I was amazed by the results. The last double and single were 8 -10 percent higher than what I had achieved with 5 3 1. Also, I has no DOMS the next day.

Cheers.

Making progress is always motivating, I think i made some progress with shoulder presses. At least today after my break, i normally could only do 10 reps now I could do 12 to 14. So I might raise the weight if this goes on.

Changed my chest training a bit to all dumbbell training instead of using a barbell, just to change it up and started with incline DB press and then flat DB press with the same weights. I am quite happy i got power hooks these things make working out with heavy dumbbells a lot safer.

8 hours ago, robblok said:

Making progress is always motivating, I think i made some progress with shoulder presses. At least today after my break, i normally could only do 10 reps now I could do 12 to 14. So I might raise the weight if this goes on.

Changed my chest training a bit to all dumbbell training instead of using a barbell, just to change it up and started with incline DB press and then flat DB press with the same weights. I am quite happy i got power hooks these things make working out with heavy dumbbells a lot safer.

Have you ever missed the bar when trying to hook back up at the end of your set? I did one time, but instead of letting it crash to the floor I muscled it down in the most awkward of positions. That's not a great idea with heavy DB's but instinct took over. Fortunately, I got no injury from it. I'll be trying hard never to do that again LOL. I've also knocked the bar with the hooks on the way up which is quite off-putting. It's still better than cleaning them off the floor, but you have to be very careful with them. 

12 hours ago, hyku1147 said:

Cheers.

It would be warming up your back muscles more and increasing blood flow with more reps.

6 hours ago, tropo said:

Have you ever missed the bar when trying to hook back up at the end of your set? I did one time, but instead of letting it crash to the floor I muscled it down in the most awkward of positions. That's not a great idea with heavy DB's but instinct took over. Fortunately, I got no injury from it. I'll be trying hard never to do that again LOL. I've also knocked the bar with the hooks on the way up which is quite off-putting. It's still better than cleaning them off the floor, but you have to be very careful with them. 

Missed the bar once and the DB came behind my head, i dropped it because i had the feeling it would twist my arms off. I still find it far safer to use then to mount your dumbbells yourself. Personal opinion of course. I don't seem to be hitting the bar but i do get the DB's from a position slightly behind me.  I think it will change things up a bit in my program not only different order but different exercise. (kinda). 

5 hours ago, robblok said:

Missed the bar once and the DB came behind my head, i dropped it because i had the feeling it would twist my arms off. I still find it far safer to use then to mount your dumbbells yourself. Personal opinion of course. I don't seem to be hitting the bar but i do get the DB's from a position slightly behind me.  I think it will change things up a bit in my program not only different order but different exercise. (kinda). 

I'm referring mainly to the incline DB presses, which I do at about 45 degrees. It was 70 lbs, but I held onto it like a trooper LOL.

The problem is you have to place the bar far enough behind you so that the hooks don't make contact, yet close enough so that you don't have to reach too far behind you to hook them back up. There's quite a learning curve to using them, that's for sure. They are quite scary at first. Up to 60lbs, I prefer to lift them off the floor.

18 hours ago, tropo said:

I'm referring mainly to the incline DB presses, which I do at about 45 degrees. It was 70 lbs, but I held onto it like a trooper LOL.

The problem is you have to place the bar far enough behind you so that the hooks don't make contact, yet close enough so that you don't have to reach too far behind you to hook them back up. There's quite a learning curve to using them, that's for sure. They are quite scary at first. Up to 60lbs, I prefer to lift them off the floor.

It was incline DB press that was the culprit, so similar exercise. Your 100% right about the learning curve but you get the hang of it quite fast.. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/2/2018 at 4:38 PM, Justfine said:

Went to a gym at CM for 80 baht. Well stocked with lots of free weights and machines. Others I saw online wanted up to 400 baht.

Seems like a fair price..400 bt for a workout is too much

• 4 weeks later...

Western Personal Martial Arts Trainer, Life Coaching (Bangkok)

Western Personal Martial Arts trainer/Self Defense, Ancient Strengthening Martial Arts Exercises Life Coaching. Over 15 years experience of Martial Arts, Long Experience, Functional concepts,

Want to really get fit and challenge yourself? There is no better time to start than right now!

What makes my training different from others is that I am fully passionate about what I teach out, and I adapt the training exercises for you to ultimately reach your set goals. All exercises are steps towards your goal of becoming a better self.

If you spend too much time thinking about a thing, you'll never get it done.

Always be yourself, express yourself, have faith in yourself, do not go out and look for a successful personality and duplicate it. B. Lee

Jay. LINE APP ID: jayjayjj1

• 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...
On 10/10/2018 at 3:33 AM, tropo said:

It has been quiet here. How is it going with the loaded carries? Did you keep it up or change to something else?

I kept it up for a while but the holiday and some other things came in the way of it. I did have good results. Right now I am back doing them building my strength up again. I now do them less frequent and I see progress going faster. Still not close to what i did back then. 2018 has been a bad year for me fitness wise. The first after many years of not missing much. Now I hope 2019 will be good, so far it seems ok and i got my diet tuned. 

I hope I don't mess up again as this really works. 

Might get some battle ropes too.. But only after doing this for 3 months so I know I keep it up. I don't want to buy something and not use it. 

I like farmers walk a lot mainly because its tough, does not take too much time and I can do it first thing in the morning to get it done.

I used to do it almost 7 days a week. Now I just do it for 2 or 3 days in a row and take a day off. I also don't go to my limit, prefer to keep a bit in the tank. 

Now at 5 1/2 rounds.. im possitive i could be at 7 or so in a few weeks and then I am back where i stopped. 

Just real lucky to have a park in front of my home to do it. Would be nice to have a prowler sled but i think i would get some complaints from the neighbors if I used something like that on the streets. The sound and so on.

Still doing them, i did notice one thing on days that i walk a bit later (more sun) performance goes down. 

Also shows why working out in an airconditioned gym is better as working out in one that has no aircon. Temperature does matter and you can work out harder when its cooler. (within limits of course)

• 1 month later...

I gave them a bit of a rest as my normal training was suffering, as i am on a caloric defict this added to the stress.

Today i started again did them just now, wanted to see if around 5pm was the same as around 8:30 am. Sometimes training in the evening suits me better.

Now just eating a bit more and adding this exercise.

I think doing them in the evening around 17:00 to 18:00 will be easier for me more convenient. 

I think with all training people just have to find what works best. Mornings might be better fat burning wise but if evenings mean I do it more then evenings it is.

Was good not too hot. 

Definitely easier now to do it around 17:00 to 18:00 or even later then in the morning. Just did an other morning session and it was a lot hotter then in the evening. 

The Thais got it right i see a lot less of them exercising in the morning and more in the evening.

Solution found, straps. Changed the exercise from a grip based one to one that takes more from the rest of the body. I feel exhausted (in a good way) my traps are on fire instead of the side of my shoulders and hands. Doubled the amount of rounds that i walked. Going to add more weight next time. This for me better, i feel it in other parts burn more energy and don't feel like i need to cry in pain because of my hands.

i have kept doing the loaded carries on days that I dont workout in my gym. Now with straps and i really start to feel it in my legs calf muscles and shoulders. No longer crying about my hands. The change from straps no straps really made a difference in where i felt the exercise and how much I could do.

Plus I seem to have inspired people now there is a Thai girl doing the loaded carries too with a pair of blue kettlebells. I approve of it, not so much of the fact she is doing it in a sweat suit as if its not hot enough. Sweating never made people lose more fat, but people still believe in it.

• 2 weeks later...

After giving my body a weeks rest as everything started to hurt and weights i could lift went down (sign of training too much) I just started again. This time in the morning.. bad choice.. its cooler out of the sun but in the sun its a lot hotter then during the evenings. So I will try to revert back to evenings for training. 

I still think its a good way to burn calories and maybe even pack some muscles on the shoulders traps.

Archived