The Joys of Banking in Thailand

1 minute ago, Dazinoz said:

I appreciate the security but 18 pages of paper to change phone number? To me that is less security because of all the paper trail.

Yea 18 is a bit overkill but i have read about bank employees sometimes being criminals then a big trail is better. But still I get your point. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Langsuan Man said:

This is why you fight to keep you phone number here in Thailand and is one of the reasons that the government finally forced "number portability" on the mobile phone companies

Had my number for nearly 5 years. Been getting a lot of people adding my on Line by phone number. People I don't know and when I ask them who are they they just ignore me. So decided to change number. Probably not such a great idea as now also having issues with other apps like Uber and Grab.

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

57 minutes ago, grumbleweed said:

Same problems here. As per most processes, a forest clearing the size of a small town is a basic requirement.

And Bangkok bank are the good ones. With the yellow bank it's less frustrating to cancel online banking and start again 

Yep, its good we have computers to cut down on paperwork.

• Haha 1

I can sympathise!

I am still trying to get my local branch of SCB to put in my new passport number for my account - this is now over 1 year. They still haven't managed to do it despite more than 6 attempts.

The problem is as you mentioned, much of this has to be done at the branch where you open the account, and if you are unlucky like me you will have a branch with staff who still have webbed fingers and toes. They are clueless!

The city branches can do this in minutes, but not out in the sticks, oh no - try opening a direct debit with them - that took three weeks, but then later just try cancelling the direct debit, then you will see what hell is like.

Edited by Formaleins
  • Sad 1

6 minutes ago, Formaleins said:

I can sympathise!

I am still trying to get my local branch of SCB to put in my new passport number for my account - this is now over 1 year. They still haven't managed to do it despite more than 6 attempts.

The problem is as you mentioned, much of this has to be done at the branch where you open the account, and if you are unlucky like me you will have a branch with staff who still have webbed fingers and toes. They are clueless!

The city branches can do this in minutes, but not out in the sticks, oh no - try opening a direct debit with them - that took three weeks, but then later just try cancelling the direct debit, then you will see what hell is like.

My branch is a reasonably major one in Chiang Mai but everything still has to goto head office. I guess anything not in Bangkok is regarded as being "out in the sticks" by the Bangkokians.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, dotpoom said:

I totally agree....constantly I have to remind myself that they are doing this to protect "my" money....then my attitude changes.

On one occasion back home I tried to borrow money from a bank to buy a pub/bar. After many weeks of putting me through the ringer....they turned me down.

The way things turned out...the smoking ban...the financial collapse...I would still be hocked up to my eyeballs to this day had they given it to me. I would have missed out on my carefree and happy life in Thailand for the last 17 years.

Someone "up there" was looking after you.

What I didn't like about the security was the original 3 page form is for just about all the changes you could think of for your account. I only ticked and changed one on one page, but had to sign the 3 pages where nothing was entered. I asked the teller to put pen line diagonally through the blank pages...."can not do"....so in this case I believe security compromised. But I never have much money in the account so not much of a worry.

1 minute ago, samsensam said:

hummm... being asked to compete a large number of forms does not necessarily equate to effective security. the fact that the web site has out of date forms and staff are not aware of current procedures and processes may indicate failings in customer information provision and staff training. such failings could be indicative of failings in other areas of the organisation which may, worryingly, include security.

They should just use the Dutch system (probably available in other countries too). YOu place your card in a scanning device have to enter your pin and the device scans a colored image (better security as numbers). 

But Thais are light years behind.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, samsensam said:

hummm... being asked to compete a large number of forms does not necessarily equate to effective security. the fact that the web site has out of date forms and staff are not aware of current procedures and processes may indicate failings in customer information provision and staff training. such failings could be indicative of failings in other areas of the organisation which may, worryingly, include security.

Fully agree.

7 minutes ago, robblok said:

They should just use the Dutch system (probably available in other countries too). YOu place your card in a scanning device have to enter your pin and the device scans a colored image (better security as numbers). 

But Thais are light years behind.

It amazes me with these developing countries have to re-invent the wheel. So many good systems around the world why not select best features from them and set up a good system from the start.

But I forgot Thais are number 1 at everything.

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Dazinoz said:

It amazes me with these developing countries have to re-invent the wheel. So many good systems around the world why not select best features from them and set up a good system from the start.

But I forgot Thais are number 1 at everything.

I am not sure that the information will be shared free of cost, so it might be more cost effective to develop it yourself. I can imagine that banks don't want to give out their secrets as hackers would love to see the full security features. 

Maybe the tellers at the branches used are less capable than the branch I use.

I've changed both my passport and phone number with Bangkok Bank, both took a single visit and IIRC about 4 forms to fill in. They cancelled my bank book on both occasions and issued a new one on the spot.

Entire process was approx. 30mins each time.

I recently had to go into Kasikorn Bank on Soi buakhou to get my internet banking set up. Needed to change my passport number to my new one and change my address from up Ubon Ratchathani way. Filled out a few forms and showed my passport and that was it.

She also installed the K-Bank app on my phone and went through the whole process with me.

The lady did the lot with no fuss and I was in and out in around 30 minutes.

The staff in that branch are really helpful so i will always go there if i need anything.

The bureaucracy in this country is ridiculous and is often led by the incompetent practices of the banks. I have moved from Bangkok Bank as they insisted on issuing me one of those stupid Union Pay ATM cards so I went to set up a K Bank account instead. 3 days later and what amounts to over 20 sheets of paper (many in duplicate), I finally managed to get the account set up (honestly I nearly gave up on so many occasions).

I run a business and on a daily basis I must sign at least 10 pieces of paper for many different government departments. And don't get me started when it comes to work permits for myself and my staff. It's as if they are all in cahoots with the paper companies to destroy as many rain forests as they possibly can in as short a time as they can.

I love this place but this is by far my biggest bug bear.     

• Like 1

It's overkill.

In a way is to protect us cause the bank is afraid their own tellers change multi account phone numbers at once, siphon the money out and do a runner

But 18 pages...

KB is one of the culprits for tellers pulling fast ones

Edited by Telly
Added kb

19 hours ago, robblok said:

The alternative is no security and you losing all the money in your bank. Just saying.. its a headache but things like this need to be tightly regulated. 

Just had similar issues w/my bank in USA - they needed to call with a code verification, and though my phone ## is the same, the call was not coming through, 2 phone calls, walk throughs of the web page, creating a temporary, then new permanent password, verifying my ID and answering questions, even though the lady does know me, all just to get access to my online account... about 30 minutes. 

I was patient - this is not the first time and won't be the last - I appreciate the security and that my mother has an unusual maiden name... it is just the way of the world... my first time in Thailand a mere 40+ years ago, there was no online banking, no debit cards, and calling home was very expensive and letters took 2 months... I find it amazing that I can call for 1 baht a minute and have instant access to my accounts and money 99.8 % of the time...

What an amazing world... 

• Like 1

You should think yourself lucky. I had to fly to Abu Dhabi to change my number. There was absolutely no way they would change the number without a trip to the branch. They would not even accept a letter. This all came about because ADCB introduced OTP and my old Abu Dhabi number was deleted for inactivity. Barclays IOM on the other hand had no problem to change remotely. It was all done by phone. After going through the security checks of course.  

Den

20 hours ago, Dazinoz said:

I appreciate the security but 18 pages of paper to change phone number? To me that is less security because of all the paper trail.

Try to change an Thai Address at you're Home Country Bank,It took me 8 Months,in the end it came down to a  ,,  /  " The Banks Computer system doesn't compute  a  ,, / " if you're number here is 24/1 over there one has to use 24-1    :wink:

What I have found to work well is to walk into the branch, and phone up the call center. At least for SCB they have staff there who know what they're doing and are well versed in English. Explain what you need to them, then hand over the phone to an employee in the bank to explain to them what they need to do.

They save face even if they are clueless and things get done properly.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1