The Joys of Banking in Thailand

4 hours ago, grumbleweed said:

Same problems here. As per most processes, a forest clearing the size of a small town is a basic requirement.

And Bangkok bank are the good ones. With the yellow bank it's less frustrating to cancel online banking and start again 

Totally Agree 100%

I went through the same process with Bangkok Bank recently when I changed my mobile number... I signed about 10 odd pages of forms that one of the branch staff filled out for me... Waited about 2 weeks to get my new login ID username (ibanking) sent to me via sms to my new mobile number, and about a week later a new PIN password was sent to my girlfriends address that gave me access to online banking again.  All in all you will be looking at a 3 week turnaround for the whole process to be completed, after which you can change your login ID and password/PIN once logged in...

With respect to the yellow bank Krungsri... it was a lot easier... once logged in either online via web or using their app, you could make the changes yourself instantly...

It may take longer with Bangkok Bank but most importantly your funds are still secure and you can still access most functions via debit card or in branch whist waiting for your new ID/PIN

regards AJ

Edited by APJ291

3 hours ago, Formaleins said:

I can sympathise!

I am still trying to get my local branch of SCB to put in my new passport number for my account - this is now over 1 year. They still haven't managed to do it despite more than 6 attempts.

The problem is as you mentioned, much of this has to be done at the branch where you open the account, and if you are unlucky like me you will have a branch with staff who still have webbed fingers and toes. They are clueless!

The city branches can do this in minutes, but not out in the sticks, oh no - try opening a direct debit with them - that took three weeks, but then later just try cancelling the direct debit, then you will see what hell is like.

Banks are like immigration offices, and other Thai establishments, they change bosses every so often, and the first thing they do is make up their own rules and change things just for the sake of change and to let all the employees know who is the boss.

1 hour ago, Telly said:

It's overkill.

In a way is to protect us cause the bank is afraid their own tellers change multi account phone numbers at once, siphon the money out and do a runner

But 18 pages...

KB is one of the culprits for tellers pulling fast ones

A question, how many papers did you have to sign when you married your Thai wife in Thailand?

I nearly had writers cramp by the time I was finished.

15 minutes ago, possum1931 said:

A question, how many papers did you have to sign when you married your Thai wife in Thailand?

I nearly had writers cramp by the time I was finished.

One thing I won't be doing in Thailand.

1 hour ago, milwaukeeboy said:

Call me old fashioned, but I will never use a hand held electronic device for financial transactions involving my bank accounts.

Done it for years and never had a problem. Don't know if still a problem but there was a lot of problems with "dumpster diving" where people were getting other peoples info from paperwork put into dumpsters.

3 hours ago, evadgib said:

You could change you LINE settings so that others can't add unless you agree.

yep, but there were other issues too not just Line. My old phone was destroyed so bought a new one and did number at same time. Not such a great idea now. Already had issues with the Uber and Grab apps but were sorted by a simple email.

Some banks allow you to change your phone number in their online banking, of course you have to do this while you still have access to your old phone number

And some banks allow you to change your phone number at the ATM, for this you just need your debit card and pin

Just now, jackdd said:

Some banks allow you to change your phone number in their online banking, of course you have to do this while you still have access to your old phone number

And some banks allow you to change your phone number at the ATM, for this you just need your debit card and pin

Didn't think about it before changing number. Tried via the computer and could change home and work phones if I had but could not change mobile. Didn't try atm.

Thai banks really are 30 years behind the rest of the World.  While doing business used to take a customer's check to their bank and branch and ask for the cash- bearer check.  Banks would refuse as I had no account in that bank. so, open account- check immediately deposited- amount immediately withdrawn. Account immediately closed. Asked bank manager why so difficult to cash a check made out to me -the bearer. He could provide no answer. 

23 hours ago, Dazinoz said:

So 18 pages in total at this bank, sent to Bangkok just to change phone number.

Been there, done that. Typical of Thai banking in general and BKK Bank in particular.

There's a reason you can't change the phone number in online banking, and that's that the phone number is used to receive One Time Passwords which can unlock a lot of stuff in your account. And if someone hacked or stole into your online banking, being able to change your mobile and get your OTPs would be a bad security breach.

But as for the banks and their paperwork, I wouldn't mind filling out the forms if it meant that my account with them would be more secure. But sadly, the paperwork blizzard doesn't mean that at all, as any number of past account misdeeds, including those by bank staff and their acquaintances -- have shown here. And out of date websites or web documents is just par for the course here. It's more the rule than the exception.

I was looking at the corporate website for one of the big international consumer electronics firms in Thailand the other day, and it was showing info on product sales and promotions from 2015 as the most current entries on the website. Again, par for the course here.

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Dazinoz said:

My branch is a reasonably major one in Chiang Mai but everything still has to goto head office. I guess anything not in Bangkok is regarded as being "out in the sticks" by the Bangkokians.

Consider this, you're probably fortunate that they don't require you to travel to BKK to apply in person at the bank headquarters office!!!!  (Just joking....)

2 hours ago, kenk24 said:

Just had similar issues w/my bank in USA - they needed to call with a code verification, and though my phone ## is the same, the call was not coming through, 2 phone calls, walk throughs of the web page, creating a temporary, then new permanent password, verifying my ID and answering questions, even though the lady does know me, all just to get access to my online account... about 30 minutes. 

One of the U.S. brokerages I deal with now has voice ID over the phone. You set it up the first time by reading, and them recording, a particular sentence. And then when you call in in the future, their system asks you to repeat that sentence. And that's how they verify you for incoming phone calls to talk about the details of your account, etc etc... (Still can log into your account online via the normal ID and password stuff. The voice ID is just for telephone access).

I'm assuming the voice ID system works. Otherwise a very large U.S. brokerage would not be using it. But on the other hand, I've never tested it. Ought to have someone call on my behalf sometime and make sure another person's voice doesn't gain entry to my account!!!

I got tired of being told I had to go to the (no longer convenient) branch where I opened the account. 

So I just opened a new account at another branch. 

We have different stories to tell. I recently tried to set up online banking with K bank. Attempts online and at the branch were ludicrous flops so I gave up.  BKK has been fine for me for a decade. 

11 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Consider this, you're probably fortunate that they don't require you to travel to BKK to apply in person at the bank headquarters office!!!!  (Just joking....)

Not so funny. My original account was in Patong Beach before I lived in Thailand. When I moved to Thailand, Chiang Mai to be more specific I opened account here. There was about 1800 baht in the Patong Beach one. After a couple of house moves I "lost" the passbook and ATM card for the Phuket account. I reported them as lost and the card and book were stopped. Anyhow before a trip to Phuket I found the book. So I took it on my trip to Patong and went into the branch where the account was opened. I wanted to transfer the balance and close account. I was informed that the book was reported lost and I had to get a police report. I said I found the book so why need report. Nope I had to get that report. So I asked where police station was. After a little discussion I was told I needed to report my lost book that wasn't lost back in Chiang Mai. End of story.

• Sad 1

I changed my phone number with Bangkok Bank about a year.  For this change did "not" need to go to the branch I opened the accounts at.    Just need to go to "a branch;" not the branch you opened the account at.  See below from Bangkok Bank webpage.

I'm in Bangkok...the branch I opened my accounts at is the main branch in central, highrise Bangkok on Silom Rd in the same building at the HQ Bangkok Bank building.

I just went to a Bangkok Bank branch a nearby mall in western Bangkok, filled out the one page form which a copy of my passport main page was attached to....and "maybe" a copy of the passbook(s) front page.   The branch did their thing on the form/signature/etc.,..then said it would take 3 to 4 business days for the change to take effect since they had to send it to a Bangkok Bank central processing point.  

Approx 3 days later my phone number is indeed updated and I'm fully back online for various transaction related to my Bangkok Bank ibanking.

http://www.bangkokbank.com/OnlineBanking/PersonalBanking/iBanking/BualuangiBanking/FAQ/Pages/PersonalisedServices.aspx

image.png.b8b63ab4442ce7c2415d99ec69506619.png

I have a good BKK bank story. Recently put BKK atm card into a yellow bank ATM to withdraw 5,000 baht, everything normal up until the point were the money should come out, then nothing happened. A couple of minutes wait then some timeout message on the screen and gave me back my card. Went to the green ATM nextdoor and got 5,000. 

I was busy running around away from home so forgot to check account for a couple of days, but sure enough it said 2 x 5,000 baht withdrawals. 

A couple of days had gone by and (as others had mentioned) the account is in Phuket and I was in Pattaya, so decided just to let it go. Avoid yellow atms, only use BKK bank etc in the future.

I had no idea where to start, the yellow bank, as it was their ATM or BKK bank, but my account not local etc.

The good thing is, a couple of weeks later, the 5,000 baht was reimbursed back into my account, without even asking, under the heading of ATM error adjustment. So well done BKK Bank, they must do some sort of ATM reconciliation etc.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

One of the U.S. brokerages I deal with now has voice ID over the phone. You set it up the first time by reading, and them recording, a particular sentence. And then when you call in in the future, their system asks you to repeat that sentence. And that's how they verify you for incoming phone calls to talk about the details of your account, etc etc... (Still can log into your account online via the normal ID and password stuff. The voice ID is just for telephone access).

I'm assuming the voice ID system works. Otherwise a very large U.S. brokerage would not be using it. But on the other hand, I've never tested it. Ought to have someone call on my behalf sometime and make sure another person's voice doesn't gain entry to my account!!!

Interesting stuff and they have face recognition tech now too... my issue was to gain online access to view my balance in my investment account, sometimes they give me a code and the robo call me to enter the code. This time, the robo call didn't come. I have a long term relationship with bank managers there and they know my voice... and withdrawal patterns... there tends to be more and newer security every year. Much better than getting ripped off.

46 minutes ago, Pib said:

I changed my phone number with Bangkok Bank about a year.  For this change did "not" need to go to the branch I opened the accounts at.    Just need to go to "a branch;" not the branch you opened the account at.  See below from Bangkok Bank webpage.

I'm in Bangkok...the branch I opened my accounts at is the main branch in central, highrise Bangkok on Silom Rd in the same building at the HQ Bangkok Bank building.

I just went to a Bangkok Bank branch a nearby mall in western Bangkok, filled out the one page form which a copy of my passport main page was attached to....and "maybe" a copy of the passbook(s) front page.   The branch did their thing on the form/signature/etc.,..then said it would take 3 to 4 business days for the change to take effect since they had to send it to a Bangkok Bank central processing point.  

Approx 3 days later my phone number is indeed updated and I'm fully back online for various transaction related to my Bangkok Bank ibanking.

http://www.bangkokbank.com/OnlineBanking/PersonalBanking/iBanking/BualuangiBanking/FAQ/Pages/PersonalisedServices.aspx

image.png.b8b63ab4442ce7c2415d99ec69506619.png

Yes, if you re-read my original post you will see where I went to a branch the second time but the 18 pages still happened whether it should have or not.

5 hours ago, APJ291 said:

Totally Agree 100%

I went through the same process with Bangkok Bank recently when I changed my mobile number... I signed about 10 odd pages of forms that one of the branch staff filled out for me... Waited about 2 weeks to get my new login ID username (ibanking) sent to me via sms to my new mobile number, and about a week later a new PIN password was sent to my girlfriends address that gave me access to online banking again.  All in all you will be looking at a 3 week turnaround for the whole process to be completed, after which you can change your login ID and password/PIN once logged in...

With respect to the yellow bank Krungsri... it was a lot easier... once logged in either online via web or using their app, you could make the changes yourself instantly...

It may take longer with Bangkok Bank but most importantly your funds are still secure and you can still access most functions via debit card or in branch whist waiting for your new ID/PIN

regards AJ

Actually, very surprisingly, I just received an email and new number is now working. So only 2 business days. Thank BBL.

On 3/27/2018 at 8:22 AM, Formaleins said:

I can sympathise!

I am still trying to get my local branch of SCB to put in my new passport number for my account - this is now over 1 year. They still haven't managed to do it despite more than 6 attempts.

The problem is as you mentioned, much of this has to be done at the branch where you open the account, and if you are unlucky like me you will have a branch with staff who still have webbed fingers and toes. They are clueless!

The city branches can do this in minutes, but not out in the sticks, oh no - try opening a direct debit with them - that took three weeks, but then later just try cancelling the direct debit, then you will see what hell is like.

Yes in Bangkok they still had a copy of my old passport made 10 years ago, and I changed for the new passport in 5 minutes.

Realised this morning I had to update my Commonwealth Bank account in Australia. Phoned them and verified a few personal details, phone number changed in less than 5 minutes and NO paperwork.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, Dazinoz said:

Realised this morning I had to update my Commonwealth Bank account in Australia. Phoned them and verified a few personal details, phone number changed in less than 5 minutes and NO paperwork.

The term "monkey business" didn't just show up without a reason