No Rear Lights

simoh1490

This subject is one of the major reasons why I could never understand the Thai mentality. You must be a special kind of stupid to drive on a dark road with no rear light. Why would you not realise the danger of doing that? It's absolutely mind-boggling how so many people can be so stupid.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Bangkok Barry said:

This subject is one of the major reasons why I could never understand the Thai mentality. You must be a special kind of stupid to drive on a dark road with no rear light. Why would you not realise the danger of doing that? It's absolutely mind-boggling how so many people can be so stupid.

Yes its strange how people can endanger their lives over the cost of a rear light. 

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, robblok said:

Yes its strange how people can endanger their lives over the cost of a rear light. 

I really don't believe that the cost has much to do with this.

#49 on this thread is much closer to fact from my own observations also.

Fears of ghosts and cost of a light,possibly a few cases but very few.

1 minute ago, happyas said:

No, it is laziness...:stoner:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, happyas said:

I don't think its about ghosts.. or even the cost of a rear light..just the inconvenience of getting it replaced is too much trouble for people. 

25 minutes ago, transam said:

No, it is laziness...:stoner:

I believe,not laziness, not cost, not too much trouble [except in a very few cases ]

I commute North to South 6 nights a week,and see the exact scenario.

Quote from #49;

"A couple of reasons IMO;

The usually older bikes/older riders [ and a few younger ones] who ride along along totally oblivious to all and everything around them, existing in that one square foot that surrounds their heads,and would have no idea if their lights are working or not, and not care if they are or not.

The other, very noticeable ones are the boy racers who fly past me sounding like all hell has broken loose, open pipes, no number plates, and the vast majority with no tail lights, and frequently no headlights on.

These guys, i simply put down to showing disdain to the laws, a small rebellion against society if you may, that's up to them , doesn't worry me at all."

Edited by happyas

Just now, happyas said:

I believe,not laziness, not cost, not too much trouble [except in a very few cases ]

Quote from #49;

"A couple of reasons IMO;

The usually older bikes/older riders [ and a few younger ones] who ride along along totally oblivious to all and everything around them, existing in that one square foot that surrounds their heads,and would have no idea if their lights are working or not, and not care if they are or not.

The other, very noticeable ones are the boy racers who fly past me sounding like all hell has broken loose, open pipes, no number plates, and the vast majority with no tail lights, and frequently no headlights on.

These guys, i simply put down to showing disdain to the laws, a small rebellion against society if you may, that's up to them , doesn't worry me at all."

Mrs.Trans is 100% full of Thai superstitions, BUT, if one of her bike lights fail she goes straight to the local bike shop to get it fixed, which costs peanuts...

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, canthai55 said:

Asked the wife about the ghosts in the mirror, and following tail lights home ...

Never heard of it.

Bar Stool BS

Strange as I do not do barstools or visit bars for that matter and this came from genuine thai people. Heyho. Must depend on where they come from. 

2 hours ago, canthai55 said:

Asked the wife about the ghosts in the mirror, and following tail lights home ...

Never heard of it.

Bar Stool BS

My wife agrees with your wife - total none sense.

Also I thought Thais on motorbikes only use their mirrors for checking their face and picking spots.

On 3/28/2018 at 4:51 PM, StevieAus said:

My 54 years old Lambretta TV 175 requires the lights to be turned on manually

Should I have it modified ???

I don't know about European countries , but in the US most states that I know about do not require motorcycle lights to be on in daylight hours .

So, out there, you are free to ride with not a bulb lighted on your bike.

As I mentioned manufacturers have them on for safety reasons, to make bikes more visible . You might want to keep that in mind in making your decision.

Motorists these days are used to lights on running bikes. You are looking for trouble if you don't turn yours on.

11 hours ago, worrab said:

Strange as I do not do barstools or visit bars for that matter and this came from genuine thai people. Heyho. Must depend on where they come from. 

Born in Ban outside Doi Saket.

Lived and worked here all her life.

If that does not qualify for a resident for this Forum ...

I think that in general most young Thai riders don't give a toss about maintenance on their bikes.

How would they know if a brake bulb was blown if they don't do a 'walk around' check at least once at month.

I doubt they even check fluid levels. I have heard many a scooter drive by with the engine sounding like it's full of marbles or drier than a weet-Bix biscuit.

And then they wonder why their precious bike won't go any more. 

Preventative maintenance is a very foreign idea...

Edited by CMKiwi

31 minutes ago, Dante99 said:

Has not had much time to develop here.  Technology not that long ago consisted of a machete and a hoe.

Do you really believe that preventative maintenance is a recent concept?

Edited by garryjohns

7 hours ago, canthai55 said:

Born in Ban outside Doi Saket.

Lived and worked here all her life.

If that does not qualify for a resident for this Forum ...

I was not criticising your wife in any way. Just saying that my Thai friends from the BKK area have heard these stories and they do not use barstools either. 555

25 minutes ago, Dante99 said:

For some groups of people, yes.

As you well know, i meant, in regard to your post that i replied to, ie ; 

4 hours ago, CMKiwi said:

Preventative maintenance is a very foreign idea..

Dante99

"Has not had much time to develop here.  Technology not that long ago consisted of a machete and a hoe."

My point being that it has indeed had as much time [hundreds, if not thousands of years]  to develop here as it has in all other places in the world..though you seem to think otherwise.

Edited by garryjohns

1 hour ago, garryjohns said:

As you well know, i meant, in regard to your post that i replied to, ie ; 

4 hours ago, CMKiwi said:

Preventative maintenance is a very foreign idea..

Dante99

"Has not had much time to develop here.  Technology not that long ago consisted of a machete and a hoe."

My point being that it has indeed had as much time [hundreds, if not thousands of years]  to develop here as it has in all other places in the world..though you seem to think otherwise.

Yes, I do.  As my post states, it is about time and technology.  

11 hours ago, transam said:

I had one of those....:stoner:

11 hours ago, transam said:

I had one of those....:stoner:

Yes I seem to think we have discussed or mentioned this before?

It doesn’t go out at night or very far in the daytime

On 3/29/2018 at 7:48 PM, Wandr said:

I don't know about European countries , but in the US most states that I know about do not require motorcycle lights to be on in daylight hours .

So, out there, you are free to ride with not a bulb lighted on your bike.

As I mentioned manufacturers have them on for safety reasons, to make bikes more visible . You might want to keep that in mind in making your decision.

Motorists these days are used to lights on running bikes. You are looking for trouble if you don't turn yours on.

To be honest my comment was somewhat tongue in cheek, I obtained this Lambretta when I lived in Australia where you are required to drive a motorcycle with the headlight switched on

I have always driven here with the headlight switched on but as with my Honda PX it is only on local roads I value my life too much to drive elsewhere 

8 hours ago, CMKiwi said:

I think that in general most young Thai riders don't give a toss about maintenance on their bikes.

How would they know if a brake bulb was blown if they don't do a 'walk around' check at least once at month.

I doubt they even check fluid levels. I have heard many a scooter drive by with the engine sounding like it's full of marbles or drier than a weet-Bix biscuit.

And then they wonder why their precious bike won't go any more. 

Preventative maintenance is a very foreign idea...

I think that is a pretty fair comment from my observations and also in many cases also applies to cars

For the people lower down the food chain without too much spare disposable income I suppose it’s a question of priorities live now and worry about the motorbike tomorrow.

5 hours ago, Dante99 said:

Yes, I do.  As my post states, it is about time and technology.  

Dante99

So, for example, in your eyes the guy 200 years or one thousand ago who replaced his split handle on his hoe or machete before it later  actually broke when he was using it or when he fixed the wobbly wheel on the buffalo cart before it fell off mid journey are not doing "preventative maintenance"?

7 hours ago, garryjohns said:

Dante99

So, for example, in your eyes the guy 200 years or one thousand ago who replaced his split handle on his hoe or machete before it later  actually broke when he was using it or when he fixed the wobbly wheel on the buffalo cart before it fell off mid journey are not doing "preventative maintenance"?

Of course not, they were doing preventative maintenance but very very little of it and very simple stuff, nothing like the guys running railroads and factories were doing 200 years ago.  The quantity and complexity of the activity also effects its establishment.

Anyway sorry Gary, I have no more interest in your effort to tell me what is in my eyes.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

18 hours ago, garryjohns said:

Do you really believe that preventative maintenance is a recent concept?

An American friend who lives nearby wanted to get his lawn mower serviced, regular maintenance he called it, I told him I thought he had no chance but we could try. At the first shop the idea of maintenance drew such a blank that we stopped trying, at the second shop the owner managed to develop a short list of things this novel activity might include and invited us to add to it, "want more", he asked! We left him to it and a few days later we went to pick up the mower, he's changed the oil, cleaned the air filter, he couldn't find the right plug so he cleaned the old one - he decided not to replace the carb. diaphragm because he didn't know how and he sharpened the blade in situ using an angle grinder. Preventative Maintenance, don't make me laugh.

16 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:

Unless Thailand joined the planet later than the rest of us they've had the same time to develop as everyone else.

Oh please! Technology development is dependent on a range of factors, educational standards, the quality of universities and vocational schools, the extent to which up to date technology is available and use of that technology in the marketplace. Thailand places restrictions in the form of import tax on a lot of technology hence it's not easily obtainable at a reasonable price and it's not commonly used in the workplace - and so on and so on. Why else do you think countries such as the US excel in the field of technology, it's because it's available, people are trained in it's use and people are educated, Thailand is the opposite of all those things.

• Confused 1
  • Thanks 1