Thais and Google Maps

banagan

Why don't Thais use Google maps, or understand Google maps?

I've shown to tuk tuks, they look confused.

Shown to real estate agents, they don't understand.

Real estate ads on Facebook, never a map location, just some directions.

Edited by banagan
  • Haha 1

My gf recently planned a big party (for the son entering the monkhood) and spent some time producing a very nice invitation including a (useless) map, to be printed and sent to 600 + invitees.
Asked me what I thought of it. My response was that it's great but how about the google maps reference?
Her response to that was that Thai people don't use it.

Sent from my F3116 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

I guess I can count myself lucky as I had a Fedex delivery driver that could talk to me in English when he called about my delivery but also said he would find me using Google maps. He got to my house in the burbs of Ban Chang and was waiting for me when I arrived at home that day

5 minutes ago, longball53098 said:

I guess I can count myself lucky as I had a Fedex delivery driver that could talk to me in English when he called about my delivery but also said he would find me using Google maps. He got to my house in the burbs of Ban Chang and was waiting for me when I arrived at home that day

Na, the FedEx guy just stopped to ask directions & fluked your house.

19 minutes ago, longball53098 said:

He probably used the navigation feature, so he got the directions from Google Maps, Grab Taxi drivers sometimes also do this. But if the navigation of Google Maps fails they are usually lost because they can't grasp the concept of how maps work.

Just tell any Thai to show you where he/she lives on for example Google Maps without typing in anything in the search, they will fail.

Edited by jackdd

They can not understand how I can find the way to a place I have never been before :biggrin:

They were very concerned that I would get in the car and drive down 600 km to find a spot.

I have a big Thailand map on the wall.

The "show me Bangkok" question is quite a challenge for most.

I also have a world map besides.

Better don't even try a quiz!

Edited by KhunBENQ

Ask a local for any directions and the standard response is noooon, over there and they'll point in the general direction. I have adopted this practice myself when asked where I live. Generally they are directionally bankrupt!

Most, almost all Thais I know can barely use or cannot use maps at all, even career fishermen looking at a map of the area they fished for 30 years has no idea what is depicted.  I can count on one hand the Thais I know that use google maps or GPS directions regularly.

3 hours ago, KhunBENQ said:

They were very concerned that I would get in the car and drive down 600 km to find a spot.

I had them pleading with me not to go when i said i was doing a road trip Chiangmai to Mukdahan, did the trip in 1 day

I guess for them it was like saying i was going to drive from Singapore to Scotland

Same almost anywhere in SE Asia... Man I hate when order Grab/Uber and the driver calls me where am I.

The dot that you can see it on your bloody phone! Not to mention they can't speak/understand English as well.

Edited by NutsMango

Isn't it a case of (horror) low IQ? If children going to kindergarden lose an IQ point after one year then how much do they lose over 12 years or 16 (after Uni) by being exposed to the Thai education system? Sad but true, anyone involved with training the locals quickly realises the intellectual short comings of our hosts!

• Sad 1

Many have no clue about N-S-E-W.  

My first experience with the lack of navigational skills.  I asked a local how far to the intersection?  1-2 km... it was actually 9km.  I have never asked how far again.    

Out of desperation (frustration??) after a road trip, I sat down with the gf,  a map and compass and for about 2 hours it was pure entertainment.  
In the end there was hope.  Several lessons later, she can do ok.  

She was recently promoted to co-pilot.

On 29/03/2018 at 1:36 PM, KhunBENQ said:

They can not understand how I can find the way to a place I have never been before :biggrin:

I have a big Thailand map on the wall.

The "show me Bangkok" question is quite a challenge for most.

I also have a world map besides.

Better don't even try a quiz!

Years ago in Pattaya, the usual touts came round beer bars selling stuff.

One guy had a world map. I asked where it was printed. He proudly said "Thailand". I knew that already, as it had Singapore in the southern hemisphere.

Edited by bluesofa
  • Haha 1