anyone here know how to resuscitate

opalred

1 hour ago, faraday said:

Stop attempting to be clever.

I was making a joke about terminology based on Nationality, as there are differences.

But of course, Google told you that.

After failing to demonstrate any first-hand knowledge of CPR and cardiac events, now you're attempting to be a clever keyboard comic.  And NO!  Unlike you, I didn't need "Google".  I only used my training and 15 years experience as a medic with a hospital-based ACLS ambulance service to realize your total lack of knowledge relating to CPR or cardiac events. 

• 2 months later...

Hi All,

I'm French emergency nurse, had setup a Thai company 3 years ago, importing and selling Automated External Defibrillators (AED) Thai or English language and other first aid items (all in compliance with Thai FDA & Customs, AED have warranty).

My company is N&J Life Support Ltd., easy to find me on the web, do no hesitate to contact me.

As some of you said, in Thailand most of ambulances don't have AED or defibrillator, there's traffic in Bangkok and rescue foundation staff training is often... how to say... So it's important to learn first aid and equipp your facilities (condo, workplaces) by AED and first aid kits.

Take care

Jeremy

On 3/29/2018 at 9:31 AM, lvr181 said:

Here is a guide. For Emergency Services change the phone number.

poster-resus-lg_1.gif.81c581aa5cbdfcfb396db6e45f404522.gifCardiopulmonary-Resuscitation-(CPR).jpg.d19af41223e2c43c9f2cc348b79e43c0.jpg

Actually these pictures are not compliant with the lastest guidelines. Now, after saw the victim is unresponsive + No Breathing (or no normal breathing) => 30 chest compressions immediately then 2 rescue breath (if not trained or don't have protection device like pocket mask, face shield, can do continous chest compressions without rescue breath). ASAP, other bystanders are calling EMS (1669 in TH) and grapping an AED. Use the AED as soon as it's available and follow it instructions until the EMS takes over.

If the victim has an health insurance, i suggest to call 1724 (BDMS National EMS dispatch), they have good skills and equipments, 200 ambulances in Thailand. They'll provide prehospital advanced life support which'll improve the survival rates.

To purchase an AED or first aid course, contact me ?

Edited by JeremyEMS

On ‎3‎/‎29‎/‎2018 at 7:42 AM, Suradit69 said:

Hard to tell what you're asking.

Knowing how to perform CPR isn't likely to be of much use if it's yourself  who's in need of resuscitation. 

Or are you compiling a list of people who do know how so that you can plan to always stay close to at least one of them?  If so, it looks like JoeyG is a potential candidate.

Certainly some people do know how, some people don't know but think they do, some others who do know would be reluctant to go mouth to mouth with you regardless of their skill set and others would just use their mobile phones to video your last moments in the hope that it will go viral on social media.

Last training I attended in 2009 was that mouth to mouth is no longer necessary, and the compression rate is very fast. The most important thing is to position the head properly so the tongue does not block the airway. Also to ensure that there is actually no heart beat, as doing CPR on a person with heart beat can actually cause problems.

Given that rapid transport to hospital is necessary for successful resuscitation, and the ambulance being properly equipped, I don't hold out much hope in LOS. Even in the city, traffic will delay arrival at a hospital.

Re the OP, bear in mind that a rescuer can only resuscitate for a limited amount of time, as it's very strenuous. Also, for old people, they sometimes end up with broken ribs if done properly.

IMO, one has to consider if they want to end up in a bad state from O2 deprivation by resuscitation that wasn't done properly or ambulance delay to hospital.

Personally, I have told everyone I know to not do anything if I have a heart attack or stroke.

On ‎3‎/‎29‎/‎2018 at 9:31 AM, lvr181 said:

Here is a guide. For Emergency Services change the phone number.

poster-resus-lg_1.gif.81c581aa5cbdfcfb396db6e45f404522.gifCardiopulmonary-Resuscitation-(CPR).jpg.d19af41223e2c43c9f2cc348b79e43c0.jpg

The first part doesn't mention checking neck pulse before starting compressions, and mouth sweep isn't done anymore as more risk of pushing an unseen obstruction further in. Only remove visible obstruction.

NEVER turn an unresponsive accident victim without checking for spinal trauma first.

I think if one was doing 2 ventilations and 15 compressions every 15 seconds one would become exhausted very quickly. Given 2 ventilations would take longer than 15 seconds...……………………..

On ‎3‎/‎29‎/‎2018 at 2:14 PM, Telly said:

Here in Thailand you better hope you've got a thinking English speaker near you who can type apply CPR in Google.

AED is a life saver for western society but not here.

Stupid rules like you have to be a qualified person to use it. Limited locations like hospitals. Even nurses overall don't have much experience with an AED.

over 20 years and never had to actually resuscitate a patient, though done all the mandatory training. In the UK anyone can use an AED if it's available, as really easy, but if never used have to read the instructions first.

Interestingly, I wasn't allowed to resuscitate a child as not a trained children's nurse, while Joe Bloggs could do so. They didn't even give us training in child resuscitation, as not allowed to do it.

On 3/29/2018 at 9:19 AM, jackdd said:

Most westerners probably had to learn it when they did their driving license and maybe on other occasions as well, for example in the army

So in my life i had to learn how to do it twice. If i could do it today in a stress situation? Maybe somehow, but not proficient

Can Thais do CPR?

If they work in the hospital / ambulance / rescue sector they are able to do it.

I would assume that if they are or were in the army or police they were taught about CPR, so they can do it somehow, but not proficient.

The average Thai is never taught about CPR so he/she can't do it.

Our entire work staff do it every year. Local hospitals have units setup for such training for companies. And this isn't Bangkok or commercial area either.

I asked my missus to take a course on CPR when we moved here 2 1/2 years ago. She still hasn't got round to it.

But, yes, I am trained in CPR and have used it once, years ago, on an old chap who collapsed outside the working man's club.

3 hours ago, grollies said:

I asked my missus to take a course on CPR when we moved here 2 1/2 years ago. She still hasn't got round to it.

But, yes, I am trained in CPR and have used it once, years ago, on an old chap who collapsed outside the working man's club.

I'm thinking of having DNR tattooed on my forehead, so if I collapse outside a working man's club no one will resuscitate me. Good on you for doing it, but not everyone wants to be resuscitated.

On 6/25/2018 at 3:29 AM, thaibeachlovers said:

The first part doesn't mention checking neck pulse before starting compressions, and mouth sweep isn't done anymore as more risk of pushing an unseen obstruction further in. Only remove visible obstruction.

NEVER turn an unresponsive accident victim without checking for spinal trauma first.

I think if one was doing 2 ventilations and 15 compressions every 15 seconds one would become exhausted very quickly. Given 2 ventilations would take longer than 15 seconds...……………………..

Checking neck pulse hasn't been done since many years now, reasoning is that if there is no breathing there will also be no pulse. By heart I think the present recommended rate is 2 ventilations to 30 compressions.

Mouth to mouth is still done though.

A couple of weeks ago they were running classes in a shopping mall in Chiang Mai there were nurses and doctors and plenty of manakins looked a professional set up with many people waiting to learn ABC.  

10 hours ago, stevenl said:

Checking neck pulse hasn't been done since many years now, reasoning is that if there is no breathing there will also be no pulse. By heart I think the present recommended rate is 2 ventilations to 30 compressions.

Mouth to mouth is still done though.

I did my last hospital refresher training about 8 years ago, and there was no need to do ventilations, though one could give 2 initial breaths. They worked out that doing compressions at the new higher rate did in fact move air in and out of the lungs. They definitely did neck pulse then. There was no need to do ventilations unless with two people. With one person just do rapid compressions.

reasoning is that if there is no breathing there will also be no pulse.

Of course one can have a pulse with no breathing. Do you think someone that has a blocked airway from food has a stopped heart? Doing compressions on someone with a heart beat can cause serious problems.

25 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

I did my last hospital refresher training about 8 years ago, and there was no need to do ventilations, though one could give 2 initial breaths. They worked out that doing compressions at the new higher rate did in fact move air in and out of the lungs. They definitely did neck pulse then. There was no need to do ventilations unless with two people. With one person just do rapid compressions.

Of course one can have a pulse with no breathing. Do you think someone that has a blocked airway from food has a stopped heart? Doing compressions on someone with a heart beat can cause serious problems.

Its for this reason that shaking the patient to see if they respond is part of basic life support training.

Actual guideline doesn't require checking for a pulse as many people would waste valuable time not doing cardiac compressions as a result.

Edit: I did my ILS update today funnily enough.

Edited by RonniePickering22

1 minute ago, RonniePickering22 said:

Its for this reason that shaking the patient to see if they respond is part of basic life support training.

Actual guideline doesn't require checking for a pulse as many people would waste valuable time not doing cardiac compressions as a result.

A person with a blocked airway can be unconscious, and still have a pulse. If time is so vital the casualty is probably beyond help anyway. If the casualty doesn't regain pulse and/ or breathing within a few minutes, unless a properly equipped ambulance arrives quickly they are probably beyond help, and even if they survive, brain injury from lack of oxygen is likely.

There is a reasonable time between when someone becomes unconscious and death to check breathing and pulse. Just checking to see if the area is safe takes time, calling for help takes time, checking for spinal injury takes time. The last thing needed is a wannabe rescuer seeing a person lying on the ground and starting compressions without checking first. That's how people end up a quad.

Don't panic!

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

A person with a blocked airway can be unconscious, and still have a pulse. If time is so vital the casualty is probably beyond help anyway. If the casualty doesn't regain pulse and/ or breathing within a few minutes, unless a properly equipped ambulance arrives quickly they are probably beyond help, and even if they survive, brain injury from lack of oxygen is likely.

There is a reasonable time between when someone becomes unconscious and death to check breathing and pulse. Just checking to see if the area is safe takes time, calling for help takes time, checking for spinal injury takes time. The last thing needed is a wannabe rescuer seeing a person lying on the ground and starting compressions without checking first. That's how people end up a quad.

Don't panic!

Thaibeachlovers as an experienced healthcare professional with over 25 years of experience I'm simply quoting you the current guidelines for Basic Life Support for the average joe who finds someone unconscious in the street.

Obviously those of us with advanced training can approach a situation differently.

Funny my initial CPR training always involved an assessment of potential cervical spinal injury which has disappeared from all but ATLS courses nowadays!

1 minute ago, RonniePickering22 said:

Thaibeachlovers as an experienced healthcare professional with over 25 years of experience I'm simply quoting you the current guidelines for Basic Life Support for the average joe who finds someone unconscious in the street.

Obviously those of us with advanced training can approach a situation differently.

Funny my initial CPR training always involved an assessment of potential cervical spinal injury which has disappeared from all but ATLS courses nowadays!

Fair enough. As it's over 8 years since my last in hospital training, things may have changed.

Very strange that they no longer check for spinal injury!

• Like 1

In any case the things which save life in cardiac arrest these days are early phone call to ambulance services...access to an AED device and early intervention in a cardiac catheter lab.

The rest is just the best of.

Edited by RonniePickering22
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Fair enough. As it's over 8 years since my last in hospital training, things may have changed.

Very strange that they no longer check for spinal injury!

They have simplified it to make it more accessible to joe public...no bad thing imho.

12 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Blocked airway would be different approach.

I am giving you the latest guidelines. You can question them and ignore them, but your information from 8 years ago is out of date.

35 minutes ago, stevenl said:

Blocked airway would be different approach.

I am giving you the latest guidelines. You can question them and ignore them, but your information from 8 years ago is out of date.

Doesn't make sense to just start doing CPR on an unconscious person without ascertaining if they have an airway first.

Obviously things may have changed, but it worked back then, and it's what I'd do now in that situation. 

On 6/27/2018 at 12:50 PM, thaibeachlovers said:

Doesn't make sense to just start doing CPR on an unconscious person without ascertaining if they have an airway first.

Obviously things may have changed, but it worked back then, and it's what I'd do now in that situation. 

I learnt CPR many years ago in the UK and was taught that as one of the first things to do is check the airway for blockages, As yet I have never had to use it.

Last week I was talking to a nurse instructor at one of the top Thai hospitals and she told me that mouth to mouth is no longer taught because of risk of HIV.

Personally, if I saw someone drowning or with heart stop and not breathing, I wouldn't hesitate to use mouth to mouth.

14 hours ago, petedk said:

I learnt CPR many years ago in the UK and was taught that as one of the first things to do is check the airway for blockages, As yet I have never had to use it.

Last week I was talking to a nurse instructor at one of the top Thai hospitals and she told me that mouth to mouth is no longer taught because of risk of HIV.

Personally, if I saw someone drowning or with heart stop and not breathing, I wouldn't hesitate to use mouth to mouth.

When it's not necessary to use mouth to mouth, why would you do so? Compressions provide sufficient air intake.

Kudos to you risking your life to perhaps save a stranger, but if you did get HIV, your sex partner would not appreciate you potentially infecting her, and your family, or people that depend on you, will not appreciate it.

Given that if one is determined to put themselves at risk for strangers, there are devices available to prevent the risk of disease transfer while doing mouth to mouth, I assume you have acquired such, to keep yourself safe.

On 6/27/2018 at 12:50 PM, thaibeachlovers said:

Either you don't understand, or you don't agree with Ilcor's latest guidelines.