Stray dogs rounded up in Jomtien

Rimmer

5 hours ago, geriatrickid said:

I was unaware there was an isue of  dogbites, because there are no claims filed with the  local authorities. Any chance these are the jerks provoking them with sticks and the like?

I was bitten myself sitting on a motorbyke taxi... Talking with the doctors in the hospital, they mentioned it's common.... 

Edited by Gabor

11 hours ago, darksidedog said:

I assume they dont want to run the risk of getting bitten. Knock em out, give them the vaccine and wander away.

Shame they didn't neuter them at the same time, so the problem of Soi dogs naturally dies away in time.

I skimmed over two pages of replies and did not see anyone else mention the obvious that you did.

Why not neuter them at the time? 

Neuter all unlicensed dogs. A simple human solution that would eliminate the problem over time.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, johng said:

Tranquiliser darts ? Or maybe the vaccine administered via dart ?

Tranquilliser darts, I expect the method is a bit random for the actual, probably more expensive, vaccine.

Trouble is don't they need a booster after a year and then one every 3 or so years to remain effective?

Just don't see it being maintained... hopefully it may eradicate!

19 hours ago, chrisinth said:

Last time I saw dogs being darted by blowpipes it wasn't to knock them out to vaccinate them. One shot, one kill. This was in Thailand (Phitsanulok) about 10-15 years ago. Not saying that is what is happening here, just that it has happened before.

The people with the blowpipes were I believe Cambodians and it was a major cull in certain areas.

Don't believe it doesn't happen because it is a Buddhist country because it does. Seems a bit expensive knocking them out, vaccinating them and then releasing them again. Anyone seen the vaccinated dogs afterwards?

how does one know if a dog has been vaccinated????

Does one ask the dog in doggie language??

10 hours ago, sirineou said:

Why not neuter them at the time? 

Why not take them away to a dog pound...and wait for the "owner" to come claim them

then the "owner" can pay for vaccinations, neutering etc before the animal is released.

this will stop the problem of animals roaming around causing accidents,biting,barking,chasing,defecating,scavenging in liter bins and scaring tourists.

If the "owner does not come to claim or no new "owner" wants to adopt the animal after a few weeks then they should be humanely sent onto the next life.

• Like 1

When I lived in Africa (where like in Thailand, rabies is endemic) all dogs had to be vaccinated. Teams would go around injecting the serum, and after doing so would tattoo the dog to show that it had received a vaccination.

The tattoo was placed on the inner ear flap where the skin is hairless. The mark itself was a small numeral indicating the year that the vaccine was administered. EG a dog vaccinated this year would have the figure 8 tattoed on it (or in Thailand 1) and when the time came for a booster shot 3 years later the tattoo would read 1 (or Thailand 4).

The tattoo itself only took a few seconds to administer withe a machine that looked like an office stapler.

No need for discs or books for proof of vaccination just look in the animals ear(s).

A simple, quick and whatsmore very cheap method that Thailand could well do with considering.

Edited by Toknarok
sp

42 minutes ago, johng said:

Why not take them away to a dog pound...and wait for the "owner" to come claim them

then the "owner" can pay for vaccinations, neutering etc before the animal is released.

this will stop the problem of animals roaming around causing accidents,biting,barking,chasing,defecating,scavenging in liter bins and scaring tourists.

If the "owner does not come to claim or no new "owner" wants to adopt the animal after a few weeks then they should be humanely sent onto the next life.

Because most of these dogs do not have an owner.  the prospect of adoption slim, and even if they were adapted what to guaranty that they will not find their way back in the streets as they originally did?   

10 minutes ago, sirineou said:

Because most of these dogs do not have an owner.

yes that's why I put "owner"  in commas  ( the misguided fools who feed them will not claim to be the owners)

my point is that an animal, any animal roaming the city  without its "owner"

should be rounded up and taken to the pound...this includes those without "owners" or Strays or Soi dogs or whatever you want to call them....Take them to the pound  and wait for someone to claim them

before release they need to be vaccinated,microchiped,neutered etc at the "owners" expense

if they find their way back to the street the microchip will tell who's doggy it is.

• Like 1

Ok then, “Yipun know nothing , Kaolie know nothing,” and so on every nation that requires licensing and vaccination, holds owners accountable, and doesn’t have packs of wild dogs everywhere. A situation that is not by accident.

The dogs on the street and taken to shelters, ie dog pounds. Then the unfortunates that cannot be identified and returned to owner or adopted are destroyed in a humane process usually involving a CO2 gas chamber. No in my country, they don’t shoot them on the street but there IS a cull , and it is ongoing and continuous. All because people do not care for their animals.

The half-hearted attempt here to round up a few dogs and sterilize and vaccinate until the bad news about rabies subsides will do nothing significant and next year we will back to the same situation because the under lying problems are never addressed. “Mai Phen Rai”

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mercman24 said:

at the end of the day the problem here is not the rabies scare but the absolute number of uncontrolled wild dogs running amok, they have no owners,

Agreed, root problem is wild dogs (and monkeys), rabies epidemic is an indicator problem.

There need to be licenses for dogs & cats. It's a fine source of revenue for the dog catchers. Licenses for dogs & cats should be more expensive if the dog or cat isn't spayed or neutered. If Thais can require licenses for signs and dart boards, they can license dogs & cats.

Catch any Thai dog or cat running lose without a collar and license tag, lock them up, only release them if they pay a 500 baht fine. Put them down after 2 weeks if they can't make bail (or if no one pays for them).

I love dogs, and would love to be able to have another one of my own someday, but neuter & release is useless. It's much more costly than putting them down and doesn't solve canine homelessness. I'm obviously no Buddhist.

• Like 2

On 3/30/2018 at 12:56 PM, Henrik Andersen said:

So they only vaccinate the dogs on beach please take all the soi dog's away including all 27 dogs in my soi 

2 accidents in 2 days dogs running after tourists and motorbikes F..... dangerous here 

Same on Cozy Beach. 

On 30/03/2018 at 11:17 AM, johng said:

Good to see them being rounded up.

Why not remove them completely ?

There are a lot on Bahn Amphur beach too...not just locals feeding them though.

they have NOT been rounded up they have been vaccinated for rabies.

they all need killing

• Thanks 1

i live in Jomtien, these dogs are a nuisance, this is meant to be a holiday resort, yeah right, with dogs shitting all over the place on the beach,
Me 2 Today I was sitting opposite the food market on the beach eating some BBQ chicken and rice.I had 2 dogs watching me and if was making me fill guilty so I walked away to sit on the Volleyball stand and they followed me plus 2 more who saw what was going on.Some people thought it was funny and gave them some of the there food.I can see it how it can get out of hand.I love dogs but I can see its getting worst all the time I walk up that beach all the time I can see me accidentally scaring a sleeping one and getting bit on the ankle.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, KiChakayan said:

What a waste of time and money. What is the cost of a .22 bullet? Dogs must be revaccinated yearly! 

Utter stupidity..

Would you really want a bunch Thai's running round your soi with .22 rifles???

Better sticking to the blow pipe and tranquillisers (and when out cold finish of with a hammer to skull), at least if they miss they are unlikely kill anyone.

• Like 1

Unless they're tranquilizing them, then vaccinating them and tagging them, how do they know which dogs have been vaccinated?

What's to stop them from vaccinating the same dog 2-3 times?

How will they know when they've vaccinated them all?

The article could have used some more details. 

Who writes these articles, volunteers?