SURVEY: What are your Songkran Plans?

Scott

SURVEY: What are your plans for Songkran?  

156 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Songkran always draws a lot of attention from the road accidents to the water battles.   Some foreigners love it, others hate it.   What are your plans for Songkran?

For those outside of Thailand, please feel free to vote according to what you would do if you were currently in the country.  

Please feel free to leave a comment.

I find Songkran the best time to buy or get those handy waterproof passport holders, which are otherwise difficult to find. 

I miss the old days, when the fun was done in good moderation. Water was thrown only to those who were participating the festival. Not thrown to every scooter which travels on the roads. 

One of my most favourable memories comes from my first Songkran in Thailand. 

I was trying to get to Khaosan road by taxi. Taxi caught on traffic jam and the driver suggested that it's best for me to walk the 500 meters to the destination, so I did.

While walking, there were some kids playing with the water. The kids saw that I had my backpack and that I was not prepared to the full water war. They stopped me, then very very politely put some powder and water to my cheeks with their hands. Laughed with big smile and went on their way. 

Once I got to my hotel, I changed my clothes and was ready to get soaked. Outside, not a minute later, I was wet! That was, when it was ok to do so. 

Good memories from 2003

I am not in Thailand at the moment but Songkran did cross my mind. I will not

be booking my return ticket date until it is over. Stay dry and safe.  

5 minutes ago, geriatrickid said:

I'm leaving on a jet plane.............. I join many others airlifted and evacuated out of the land of death and serious injury.  Frankly, I will have no sympathy for the foreigners who kill or injure themselves during Songkran as they engage in  drug and alcohol fueled stupidity.

Me too.

In addition, we haven't even got on to the Thai adaptation of taharrush gamea. Leave them to it.

37 minutes ago, natway09 said:

The vote does show results suggesting grumpy older men are alive & well on Thai Visa.

It reminds me of the British lady saying "I cannot possibly go for a swim,,, its raining"

No. Grumpy old git taunt answered here.

6 hours ago, alex8912 said:

BTW do you know how many people die in their own houses? The bathtub slip is a BIG one.  Staying home is not always “safe”. 

No one's consciously trying to kill or injure me at home.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, oilinki said:

I find Songkran the best time to buy or get those handy waterproof passport holders, which are otherwise difficult to find. 

I miss the old days, when the fun was done in good moderation. Water was thrown only to those who were participating the festival. Not thrown to every scooter which travels on the roads. 

One of my most favourable memories comes from my first Songkran in Thailand. 

I was trying to get to Khaosan road by taxi. Taxi caught on traffic jam and the driver suggested that it's best for me to walk the 500 meters to the destination, so I did.

While walking, there were some kids playing with the water. The kids saw that I had my backpack and that I was not prepared to the full water war. They stopped me, then very very politely put some powder and water to my cheeks with their hands. Laughed with big smile and went on their way. 

Once I got to my hotel, I changed my clothes and was ready to get soaked. Outside, not a minute later, I was wet! That was, when it was ok to do so. 

Good memories from 2003

First Songkran, 1974. Same very good memories.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Samui Bodoh said:

I think this is one of those issues that varies greatly depending where you are.

On Samui, this is really a 'one day wonder' (at least in my town, with a few exceptions) and so there really isn't a good reason not to join in. And, it's hot, it's fun, people are happy, and there is a real nice spirit in the air; things are good. Sanuk!

I'll join right in, and if I get 'hit' either a day before or after, I'll just smile, laugh, and (hopefully!) pull out a loaded squirt gun of my own!

Happy Songkran all!

PS Please Please DON'T DRINK AND DRIVE!!!!

Samui is great for this. One crazy day and then everyone is back out enjoying the beach, shopping, going to restaurants, spending money. More than a day or two seems more geared to  (and I sympathize) the Thai folks that don't have all that much to celebrate -- and you know who they are -- and tourists on vacation.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, pmarlowe said:

Samui is great for this. One crazy day and then everyone is back out enjoying the beach, shopping, going to restaurants, spending money. More than a day or two seems more geared to  (and I sympathize) the Thai folks that don't have all that much to celebrate -- and you know who they are -- and tourists on vacation.

Same as Hua Hin, one day and it's over.

I am not in Thailand right now (not by choice) wife is still there will join me at the end of the month and we will return end of summer,

We live on a quiet street, (Khon Kaen) aside from some of the kids playing we don't have much trouble, a couple of relatives come from BKK we all wear colorful shirts and go to Ubonrat dam  there is a festival there with music and vendors. Has done it a few times, always good natured fun, never had a problem. This Year I hear Aunt and Uncle are not coming from BKK, too much traffic. very nice people I miss them.

059.JPG

058.JPG