Arnold Schwarzenegger recovering after emergency open-heart surgery: TMZ

rooster59

Arnold Schwarzenegger recovering after emergency open-heart surgery: TMZ

arnold.JPG

Actor and former California Governor Arnold Schwarzenegger underwent emergency open-heart surgery on Thursday TMZ reported. Nathan Frandino reports.

Arnold Schwarzenegger is reportedly recovering after emergency open-heart surgery.

TMZ reported that the 70-year-old body builder, actor and former politician went in for a catheter valve replacement... but developed complications during the procedure.

The celebrity news site says the surgery lasted several hours Thursday but that he's now in stable condition.

A statement by Schwarzenegger's representative was not immediately available.

reuters_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Reuters 2018-03-31

The full story, 

Actor and former governor of California Arnold Schwarzenegger has undergone heart surgery, but contrary to some reports, it was a planned procedure, according to his production company's chief of staff, Daniel Ketchell. Earlier reports claimed that the former "Celebrity Apprentice" host had emergency open-heart surgery.

The 70-year-old is in stable condition, said Ketchell. In a statement on Twitter, Ketchell explained that Schwarzenegger had an pulmonic valve replaced at Cedars-Sinai hospital in Los Angeles on Thursday. The valve was originally replaced in 1997 due to a congenital heart defect. 

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/arnold-schwarzenegger-undergoes-heart-surgery/

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, HLover said:

He'll be back...

Screenshot_2018-03-31-17-01-28-019_com.google.android.googlequicksearchbox.png

Of course this had to come up! While it’s no secret that steroid abuse can lead up to this, in Arnold’s case it a congenital heart disease which he inherited from his mother who died from it. 

Also, back in Arnold’s days the steroid thing was a completely different story than it is today. 

When you train hard six days a week you fairly quickly reach the point where you can gain maybe 1cm in circumference per muscle group per year. During the 8 weeks of preparation time for a show you restrict your calory intake from 8 to 10000 down to around 1500 while still training as hard as always to get rid of the body fat. Since your body doesn’t get the required energy from nutrition it will literally break down muscle tissue to feed itself, which translates to a loss of about 4 to 5cm in circumference per muscle group, which in turn means training hard for 4 to 5 years to gain that back. To avoid this Arnold and Co. used steroids. 

Nowadays they run cycles all year round depending on how many shows they do per year.

Edited by pacovl46
Fixed a typo

I had a similar procedure a few years ago, the recovery was the hardest thing I have done in my life.

First the separate your ribcage to get to the heart, then the ribcage is wired together again and have to lay flat on your back for a couple of months until the bones heal.During the surgery you are on a heart and long machine, and after you come out your breathing is so weak you can hardly talk and have to do breathing exercises for a few weeks.

I hope I never have to do this again, but like him the vave only lasts 10-15 years and will have to be done again, 

The choices were a bovine valve that only lasts for about 15 years or a mechanical valve that lasts forever but you would need to be on powerful blood thinners  for the rest of your life. For active people such as me that was not an option.

Some talk about steroids,  Schwarzenegger's and mine were both congenital conditions, that means that we were born with it.

The good news is that there is a new procedure now where they don't have to open up the rib cage and can insert a new valve through a catheter (TAVR) , which is the procedure  Schwarzenegger was scheduled  to have but apparently had complications with which prompted the open heart procedure.

Though I don't agree with some of his politics , I find him to be a nice man, and wish him a speedy recovery.

PS:  Correction,  TAVR is  Thanscathoder Aortic Valve Replacement which is what I had,  his condition was  Transcatheter Pulmonary Valve Replacement 

ot TPVR

Edited by sirineou
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, kokopelli said:

The full story, 

Actor and former governor of California Arnold Schwarzenegger has undergone heart surgery, but contrary to some reports, it was a planned procedure, according to his production company's chief of staff, Daniel Ketchell. Earlier reports claimed that the former "Celebrity Apprentice" host had emergency open-heart surgery.

The 70-year-old is in stable condition, said Ketchell. In a statement on Twitter, Ketchell explained that Schwarzenegger had an pulmonic valve replaced at Cedars-Sinai hospital in Los Angeles on Thursday. The valve was originally replaced in 1997 due to a congenital heart defect. 

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/arnold-schwarzenegger-undergoes-heart-surgery/

It was correctly reported that he underwent emergency open heart surgery.

He was scheduled for  a  transcatheter pulmonary valve replacement represents a ...(TPVR)  where the valve is replaces via a catheter, that apparently went wrong and an emergency open heart procedure had to be performed.

• Like 1

On 3/31/2018 at 3:02 AM, HLover said:

He'll be back...

Stop it, please. 25% of people die from heart conditions whether they take steroids or not. He hasn't taken them for over 30 years and when he did it was nothing compared to what bodybuilders today take. He probably had a congenital heart weakness. 

I can sympathize.  Major surgery when you are 60-70-80  is rough.  I have a scar from my nipples down to my nads from an open repair of an abdominal aortic aneurysm.  Hereditary thing. Fortunately, I was warned and tested.  

5 hours ago, tropo said:

Stop it, please. 25% of people die from heart conditions whether they take steroids or not. He hasn't taken them for over 30 years and when he did it was nothing compared to what bodybuilders today take. He probably had a congenital heart weakness. 

Thank you, doctor.

Edited by HLover

On 3/31/2018 at 5:02 PM, HLover said:

He'll be back...

However Bio-identical testosterone replacement under physician supervision has great benefits.  The tweet above refers to steroid abuse.

Hope Arnie recovers OK.

He was a terrible Governor, and I admit I did vote for him.

But he always seemed/seems a pretty decent human being, and he certainly brought some excitement to Sacramento after the dull days of Gray Davis.

'Most' of his movies aint bad either.

Get well Arnie, we miss you

7 hours ago, HLover said:

Thank you, doctor.

Nothing he  posted was incorrect. i knew right away  that  a valve replacement was most likely congenital. Heart murmurs are caused by .  blood   backflowing because of a defective valve. Credit goes to the people that shut down the stupid  steroid remarks. Arnie would have had his heart issues  long ago if it was steroids related.