Australian man critical after hit and run in Samui, family told no license invalidates insurance

rooster59

• Replies 465
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, Thian said:

So they started a gofundme because it was a hit and run accident right?

I also thought about donating before i read the rest of this story.

Now it is an accident without any car involved? And it's not sure if he wear a helmet right (so it's not)? Also he didn't have a proper driverslicense right? Was he sober?

I mean.....come on...of course i wish him all the best but the story gets worse and worse the more i read...

Yes you are right, The problem with lots of these go fund me pages, they start them not telling the truth or leaving bits out, often needing to change them as the story comes out in the media.

There was one a couple of months ago were a guy did a page that he was bashed at gun point in thailand, turned out he was pissed , breaking into rooms, and fell off a wall. But not before he had collected money and the false story was all over the UK press.

3 minutes ago, Peterw42 said:

Yes you are right, The problem with lots of these go fund me pages, they start them not telling the truth or leaving bits out, often needing to change them as the story comes out in the media.

There was one a couple of months ago were a guy did a page that he was bashed at gun point in thailand, turned out he was pissed , breaking into rooms, and fell off a wall. But not before he had collected money and the false story was all over the UK press.

I read on stickmans that he already got 50k au$ on the gofundme....on the wrong info that is....not that it matters but if i had paid and read the truth later i would not be happy to say it polite.

Just now, Thian said:

Also that swiss guy who was eating chicken on the road in pattaya where he switched off the motor of a thai motocydriver...he got beaten up by a group of thai men he claimed, later we saw the video but there were no thai men with sticks as he said...

get tired of it...glad i didn't pay....will never do from now on.

6 hours ago, TonyPaul said:

Yes travel Insurance does not cover unless you have a local Licence. But  I am hoping that the 50cc is a typo for 500cc? Are there any bikes under 50cc?

They are called mopeds under 50cc 

Of course not...and also not if was pissed....

You know, i have no more words for it...almost went searching for the gofundme, glad i read more.....this is not cool..can't appreciate it.

If you like gofundme you should try thaicupid, no shortage of girls with fake profiles (possibly LB) begging for money

1 minute ago, scubascuba3 said:
21 minutes ago, Thian said:
Of course not...and also not if was pissed....

You know, i have no more words for it...almost went searching for the gofundme, glad i read more.....this is not cool..can't appreciate it.

If you like gofundme you should try thaicupid, no shortage of girls (possibly LB) begging for money

555 no cheers mate, i have a very honest wife and am very happy with her.

But i still understand this story, that guy even can't speak so his parents did the gofundme for him together with his brother?

They should check that bike he had and if the brakes were working properly...if not than maybe he can claim the rentalcompany to be responsible for it all. We also almost had accidents because of faulty brakes on our scooters at koh larn.

16 minutes ago, Thian said:

Also that swiss guy who was eating chicken on the road in pattaya where he switched off the motor of a thai motocydriver...he got beaten up by a group of thai men he claimed, later we saw the video but there were no thai men with sticks as he said...

get tired of it...glad i didn't pay....will never do from now on.

Yes these people are ruining it for the genuine, and honest, cases.

I would probably chip in a couple of dollars for a " did a stupid thing, can you help" gofund page. But the blaming insurance (for something not covered) or making up stories about hit and run etc, that turn out to be rubbish, I would be reluctant to help.

5 hours ago, tropo said:

Where are the license checks, you ask? In Pattaya, checking foreigners for a license is big business. You'd be lucky to ride a full day without encountering at least one check.

This is a Samui thread, 13th year and here never asked for driving licence, in the monthly helmet check they never asks for a DL. 

3 hours ago, Russell17au said:

I have been to Phuket and I have presented my Australian licence so that I can hire a motorbike, my licence shows the classifications of "car-MC" would the bike renter legally be able to rent me a bike. Remember this is legally not because he is Thai and money hungry

I believe if you look at your drivers licence you will actually see the classification of R for motorcycle next to the other classification which is C if you also drive a car, as for car-MC don't know where you got that from, or automatically thought that is how it would look on your licence ?

In Thailand they will accept your drivers licence, insurers won't, and the law in Thailand says you must have an International Driving Permit with your drivers/riders licence, but most 99% of the police force don't enforce it, I have tested them scores of times, even giving them just my IDP and that was good enough for them.

What you want is to validate your insurance policy, and that isn't going to happen unless you have the above.

29 minutes ago, Thian said:

So they started a gofundme because it was a hit and run accident right?

I also thought about donating before i read the rest of this story.

Now it is an accident without any car involved? And it's not sure if he wear a helmet right (so it's not)? Also he didn't have a proper driverslicense right? Was he sober?

I mean.....come on...of course i wish him all the best but the story gets worse and worse the more i read...

Please do not try to sit on such a tall horse.

A car involved or not, it could have been your son or brother. Some baht/ bucks/ Euros, can't be a mistake if you can afford it. A lot of can't. 

This thread is Thaivisa at it's worst..........(or best:whistling:)

Nobody cares to read more than one or two posts before hitting the keyboard...

So the same questions are asked over and over again

And get the same replies over and over again....

The OP is long forgotten....was sidetracked after the first two pages

Welcome to the wonderful and bizarre world of Thaivisa......!!

33 minutes ago, AGLV0121 said:

Most scooters are 49cc's, perfectly street legal. You can pay a visit to the next scooter store and ask them about the cylindrate.

I prefaced my comment with "I don't know if..." 

Over my 7 years in Thailand, I have read hundreds of posts in dozens of threads on the topic and the consensus is that nobody really knows.  They cannot be registered if the engine is 50 CC.  I think 100 CC is the lower limit for registration, but all I'm going to claim to know is that I could not register my 50cc Honda Dio. 

And in hundreds of posts over dozens of threads, enough people posted first hand experiences of being stopped and fined for taking them on a public road.  And, of course, there were guys who claimed they've not been pulled over in years and years of using theirs.  But that means nothing because impunity doesn't equal legality.  Police were quoted to say (I'm paraphrasing here) "you don't need to register or insure them, but they're limited to the village- don't take them on public roads".

My suggestion is for anyone looking to ride a <50cc scooter in Thailand to get legal advice before they end up in a hospital with invalid insurance.  Squeaking by without getting pulled over and fined may lead people to believe they're legal.  But looking at a few million baht in hospital bills is a bad time to find out the advice on TVF isn't reliable.

8 hours ago, ThreeEyedRaven said:

If he was hit by someone else, then their insurance should be paying, though to drive here without the correct license and ensuring you have valid insurance is definitely a risky and inadvisable thing to do. The roads here are shockingly dangerous even when you have a lot of experience here, which many renters simply do not have.

You are correct, but in this case, its a hit and run, if they ever find the culpirt, and, he/she has insrance, family will have to sue their insurance company to pay - long road to walk in Thailand......Insurance companies will do whatever it takes to NOT pay.:coffee1:   Best of luck to him, but my confidence level is very low.

6 minutes ago, 4MyEgo said:

I believe if you look at your drivers licence you will actually see the classification of R for motorcycle next to the other classification which is C if you also drive a car, as for car-MC don't know where you got that from, or automatically thought that is how it would look on your licence ?

In Thailand they will accept your drivers licence, insurers won't, and the law in Thailand says you must have an International Driving Permit with your drivers/riders licence, but most 99% of the police force don't enforce it, I have tested them scores of times, even giving them just my IDP and that was good enough for them.

What you want is to validate your insurance policy, and that isn't going to happen unless you have the above.

MC is a heavy vehicle endorsement,  Russell17au was showing how many Australians trick the rental shop into thinking its a bike license. I have seen Australians do it myself.

4 hours ago, JungleBiker said:

If they find him and he doesn't have insurance then he will have to pay out of his own pocket. For the rest of his life, if necessary. That's what a policeman taught me many years ago when I was caught riding a motorbike without insurance. I have never forgotten that lesson. 

From what? 

Tax return, you don't need to declare income if you are a rice farmer that make 300 baht per day 

5 minutes ago, TunnelRat69 said:

You are correct, but in this case, its a hit and run, if they ever find the culpirt, and, he/she has insrance, family will have to sue their insurance company to pay - long road to walk in Thailand......Insurance companies will do whatever it takes to NOT pay.:coffee1:   Best of luck to him, but my confidence level is very low.

As previously stated, it was a single vehicle accident, no hit and run (as initially reported)

1 hour ago, FitnessHealthTravel said:

You can ride up to a 125cc bike or scooter in Australia with just a car license. He must have been on a bigger bike. Also there is some severely damaged car or truck hiding somewhere. There aren’t many repair shops on Samui so tracking it down is possible if they can be bothered. 

How can can it be costing A$20,000 a day for him to be in the ICU? They seem incredibly excessive even for his injuries. Good luck to him and his Family. 

I think you want to confirm what you just said, i.e. "you can ride up to a 125cc bike or scooter in Australia with just a car licence", not from where I am coming from, that might be the case in South Australia, but not other states, having said that, I always open to being corrected if you can prove what your saying backed up with a link, excluding South Australia of course.

I will agree that $20k per day is on the upside by far.....

7 minutes ago, Peterw42 said:

MC is a heavy vehicle endorsement,  Russell17au was showing how many Australians trick the rental shop into thinking its a bike license. I have seen Australians do it myself.

Ahh, thanks for explaining that Peterw42, makes sense to me now 555

1 minute ago, Peterw42 said:

As previously stated, it was a single vehicle accident, no hit and run (as initially reported)

Thanx, I just came back from a Thai friends place of bsiness and the Thai newspapers and TV is calling this a scam to collect money with a go fund me page.  His alcohol level is four times the legal limit and no helmet could be found on the scene..........sorry for the Guy 'for being stupid' in Thailand.

1 hour ago, AGLV0121 said:

Most scooters are 49cc's, perfectly street legal. You can pay a visit to the next scooter store and ask them about the cylindrate.

Most scooters have cylinder size on display, click 125 means 125 cc, in 13 years in Thailand I have seen only one scooter below 50 cc and that was from the around 1950. 

On samui you can not rent anything under 110cc

24 minutes ago, jenny2017 said:

Please do not try to sit on such a tall horse.

A car involved or not, it could have been your son or brother. Some baht/ bucks/ Euros, can't be a mistake if you can afford it. A lot of can't. 

If they were just honest i might have done so...but if i had paid and later found out that the story wasn't the truth i would claim my money back.

And stop talking like you know it all, how much did you pay?

15 minutes ago, TunnelRat69 said:

Thanx, I just came back from a Thai friends place of bsiness and the Thai newspapers and TV is calling this a scam to collect money with a go fund me page.  His alcohol level is four times the legal limit and no helmet could be found on the scene..........sorry for the Guy 'for being stupid' in Thailand.

well if it's true he was 4 times the limit and considering it was 4am, then i find that easy to believe, and yes very stupid. the guys the other day in patts who crashed but got off a lot lighter will hopefully read this story and truly learn that bikes and alcohol here is a seriously dangerous thing to do.  anywhere but certainly here. but is there an actual scam or are they just looking for the money to sort his med bills? 

**what i mean is did they lie about a hit and run?

I for one would like to live in a world where the lives of human beings are put above the profits of insurance companies and the healthcare business. 

We have a long way to go still as a species, that some of us think pieces of paper with a value written on it is more important than a life. 

22 minutes ago, 4MyEgo said:

The MC is a Heavy Vehicle Multi Combination for driving large semi's with more than one trailer like B-Doubles and road trains, but what I am trying to show is that because I have a MC classification showing on my licence alongside my car classification how easy it would be to convince someone that does not understand licence classifications from other countries how easy it would be to convince them that the MC stands for motor cycle when in fact it does not. I also have an R on my licence

Archived