Australian man critical after hit and run in Samui, family told no license invalidates insurance

rooster59

I have been to Phuket and I have presented my Australian licence so that I can hire a motorbike, my licence shows the classifications of "car-MC" would the bike renter legally be able to rent me a bike. Remember this is legally not because he is Thai and money hungry

• Replies 465
  • Created
  • Last Reply
30 minutes ago, Russell17au said:

If you know that you do not have a valid motorbike licence isn't it your responsibility not to go and try to hire a motorbike. You cannot take the responsibility of hiring a motorbike away from this guy because he knew he did not have a motorbike licence.

eggs Zackery Russell

26 minutes ago, Peterw42 said:

Yes , the poor innocent guy, they made him lie about having a license, and they forced him to go riding at 4am (probably pissed) , then they forced him to drive to fast, hit a wall at high speed. And they made him not wear a helmet.

He is responsible for his own actions.

Have you ever thought of applying to work with the Samaritans ?  :giggle:

Sorry for this poor guy and his family. Hope he pulls through although he will never be the same. For all you guys who always post that a license is not needed here and you can buy your way through checkpoints and how you have been here for blank years without a problem, this one's for you. 

3 hours ago, wombat said:

would i want to live with a spine broken in 4 places....i don't think so.

hopefully that really means broken spinal vertebrae bones versus actual cord transections and if so can recover especially since he is young. can also recover from traumatic intracranial bleeding if the blood has beed removed.  broken ribs heal as do punctured lungs

5 hours ago, midas said:

But it doesn't say he was driving without any license? Just that he didn't have a motorcycle license. Do insurance companies refuse to pay out if you have a licence to drive a car in Australia? But then rent a motorbike?

Of course they do not pay out. 

You need a valid licence for the vehicle you are driving. 

If you had a bike licence, why would you use it for a car,?. 

Not allowed. Or vice versa. 

Sorry for sounding brutal, but I keep all mine up to date. 

Bike, High powered. 

Yes there are different types of bike licenses. 

You have to drive a bike under 250cc before you can progress to a higher power bike. 

Car. Or truck to 3.5 tonnes. 

Different types of car license too. 

Automatic. Manual. Probationary. 

You have to drive for three years before coming off the P plates. 

I keep my Aussie heavy vehicle, and UK various classes,  plus my Thai car and bike licenses. Up to date. 

Basically because I would possibly not be able to get them again.. 

The biggest problem is the rental of bikes to unlicensed people. 

For a quick tourist dollar... 

(The bus driver was a classic example of how Thais overlook the road safety laws and users lives, by giving him a job driving a double deck bus, while having no license for it, plus prior convictions) 

Flying Coffins.... 

OK let me ask a few questions.

1. Does Aussie law require MC drivers to wear helmets?

2.  If Alcohol or drugs are found in the system is your insurance company liable or are you on your own in a CAR accident.

3.  If you are exceeding the speed limit and recklessly driving what happens?

4.  Do all Aussie car insurances cover you driving in Thailand.

5.  How many people do you think to come here for a wedding party and do not party?

6.  How many people do you now that stay at a party until 4 am and have not been drinking?

I am sorry for the guy but the issue is the same all over the world. people get on crotch rockets and think that they are god's gift to motorcycles.  They drive fast thinking that they have it under control and when they hit the brakes realize they have nothing.  This includes people that have driven smaller motorcycles with the same license.  

The rental companies if anything should be restricted to renting small 100cc bikes only.

29 minutes ago, Acemaker said:

Blah, Blah, Blah, another Go Fund Me Basher, change the Record please, we have all heard it a Million times already.

Let me take a guess. You have no health insurance or any money saved so someday you will need your own go fund me handout. Good luck with that. 

19 minutes ago, Russell17au said:

I have been to Phuket and I have presented my Australian licence so that I can hire a motorbike, my licence shows the classifications of "car-MC" would the bike renter legally be able to rent me a bike. Remember this is legally not because he is Thai and money hungry

all the times rented a bike including big ones never asked for license

1 minute ago, kingstonkid said:

2.  If Alcohol or drugs are found in the system is your insurance company liable or are you on your own in a CAR accident.

5.  How many people do you think to come here for a wedding party and do not party?

6.  How many people do you now that stay at a party until 4 am and have not been drinking?

I am sorry for the guy but the issue is the same all over the world. people get on crotch rockets and think that they are god's gift to motorcycles.  They drive fast thinking that they have it under control and when they hit the brakes realize they have nothing.  This includes people that have driven smaller motorcycles with the same license.  

The rental companies if anything should be restricted to renting small 100cc bikes only.

Australia requires all bike riders to wear protective clothing and helmet. 

Even push bike riders are required to wear a helmet. 

Drink or drugs in the system and the insurance is void. 

Your Australian car insurance will not cover you in Thailand. 

It covers the nominated vehicle and nominated driver. In Australia. 

I would expect that your travel insurance will cover certain expenses. 

But not driving without a licence. 

Driving under the influence. 

Exceeding the speed limits or reckless driving is seen as contributing to the cause of the accident. 

Alcohol and drugs also... 

Insurance will be voided.

6 minutes ago, kingstonkid said:

the bike renters should not be restricted to under 100cc but they should be educated to know what the licence classification are so that they only rent to licenced riders. As you did not answer my question I will not bother to answer yours

8 minutes ago, atyclb said:

hopefully that really means broken spinal vertebrae bones versus actual cord transections and if so can recover especially since he is young. can also recover from traumatic intracranial bleeding if the blood has beed removed.  broken ribs heal as do punctured lungs

I concur. I suffered a fractured skull, subdural haemotoma, fractured cheek and sinuses, fractured neck, fractured ribs, punctured lung, bruised heart, ruptured spleen, traumatic abdominal puncture (7hrs surgery, a brachial plexus injury (22hrs surgery), two fractured vertabrae, fractured knee and a penetrating fracture of my left ankle around 3 years ago. 

2 weeks in a coma & 3 months on a brain injury ward followed by intensive physiotherapy and rehab and to look at me you wouldn’t know I have disabilities until I told you or showed you. 

I was 36 when my accident happened and now I lead a very fulfilling and non-restricted life, apart from not working 555

The human body is a wonderful thing

5 hours ago, hansnl said:

Insurance companies are always right, and will do anything not to pay.

Clemency is not part of any financial intitute, including banksters and insurance artists.

In your homecountry there's a fund which will pay the damage in case the causer disappears...i've had that myself many moons ago...car drove into me on my motocy and disappeared, the waarborgfonds paid the damage i had.

30 minutes ago, Russell17au said:

LICENCES and PERMITS

To ride a motorcycle in Thailand, and remain strictly within the law, you must possess and produce:

• A national motorcycle drivers licence issued in your home country, valid for a motorcycle AND,
  • An International Driving Permit. *NB - Some members believe your home licence in English with a photo satisfies Thai law. In the end it is "up to you".
  • The maximum period that you can drive a hire car or bike legally on an IDP is 60 days on a Tourist Visa, 90 days on a Non-Immigrant O visa. For rentals in excess of that a Thai Driver's Licence is required. To obtain a Thai drivers license requires a formal in-person application, as well as hold and be admitted to Thailand on a non-immigrant visa status. This link to the the Department of Land Transportation website explains the procedure.

This information was published on Trip Adviser and given by one of the Royal Thai Embassies. 

5 hours ago, darksidedog said:

It is long overdue for motor bike rental companies to be forced to not rent a vehicle out to any one who does not have a valid licence for the country. There are way too many accidents and way too many people thinking they are insured, then finding out that they are not, leaving someone else to foot the bill.

For what its worth, I am assuming the Thai mentality is, we have tourists, make of it what you can and feed your families, as we don't know how things will be tomorrow.

The flip side is, for around $38 he could have had an International Driving Permit from NRMA, i.e. if he actually had a motor cycle riders licence.

I used to do this every time I would come to Thailand when on holidays so that my insurance would be validated, now I have both, receiving my Thai one 2 years ago.

Anyone with half a brain knows that in Oz, you have to have a valid motorcycle riders licence to ride a motorcycle, no different here or in Bali, the latter I am told.

I have travelled around the world in my earlier days and was still smart enough to know that you required a licence to ride or drive in those countries.

So as tragic as these events are, and keep occurring, renters MUST be aware of the fact, i.e. you don't have to be a rocket scientist to know that, and you can forget the Thai's taking a stance on the renters or shops that rent the motorbikes, for that matter.

Now unless the Australian Government takes a stance and requests this at the highest level with other countries, but they are not going to control people, so the onus is on the traveller to:

A) Get the appropriate licence/s and permit, and make sure that they are current at the time of renting a motorbike

B) Read the policy before they buy it, i.e. read the fine print, does it cover motorcycles, and what cc's if they do, also noting that most won't cover you if you don't have a helmet on, let alone a helmet.

I feel for the bloke but am over these weekly events, a bit like you take your life in your own hands when riding/driving in Thailand, and from the injuries he has sustained, I don't know if it is worth him pulling through, hate to say that, but he will be suffering for a long time to come if he does.

4 minutes ago, Thian said:

And what if they find him but he was drunk and had no insurance? Will they take all his posessions to make him pay?

Quite possibly. 

Thai police can enforce seizure and demand substantial funds to cover damages, third parties, and all costs. 

If the driver is not licensed. 

And therefore not insured. 

Many examples on Google. 

And all sound bad... 

2 minutes ago, dallen52 said:

Quite possibly. 

Thai police can enforce seizure and demand substantial funds to cover damages, third parties, and all costs. 

If the driver is not licensed. 

And therefore not in. 

Many examples on Google. 

And all sound bad... 

I see, well i hope they find him.....and that he's rich..

Food for thought. Every time I applied for travel insurance in an Asian country, the insurance company would ask "Are you going to hire a motor bike"? if the answer was yes, the premium would skyrocket. I think maybe this fellow tried his luck without the correct insurance, not to mention riding a scooter in Thailand in the early hours of the morning, really, common sense got lost here somewhere.

Tragic story, I hope he recovers.

22 minutes ago, 4MyEgo said:

For what its worth, I am assuming the Thai mentality is, we have tourists, make of it what you can and feed your families, as we don't know how things will be tomorrow.

The flip side is, for around $38 he could have had an International Driving Permit from NRMA, i.e. if he actually had a motor cycle riders licence.

I used to do this every time I would come to Thailand when on holidays so that my insurance would be validated, now I have both, receiving my Thai one 2 years ago.

Anyone with half a brain knows that in Oz, you have to have a valid motorcycle riders licence to ride a motorcycle, no different here or in Bali, the latter I am told.

I have travelled around the world in my earlier days and was still smart enough to know that you required a licence to ride or drive in those countries.

So as tragic as these events are, and keep occurring, renters MUST be aware of the fact, i.e. you don't have to be a rocket scientist to know that, and you can forget the Thai's taking a stance on the renters or shops that rent the motorbikes, for that matter.

Now unless the Australian Government takes a stance and requests this at the highest level with other countries, but they are not going to control people, so the onus is on the traveller to:

A) Get the appropriate licence/s and permit, and make sure that they are current at the time of renting a motorbike

B) Read the policy before they buy it, i.e. read the fine print, does it cover motorcycles, and what cc's if they do, also noting that most won't cover you if you don't have a helmet on, let alone a helmet.

I feel for the bloke but am over these weekly events, a bit like you take your life in your own hands when riding/driving in Thailand, and from the injuries he has sustained, I don't know if it is worth him pulling through, hate to say that, but he will be suffering for a long time to come if he does.

Everyone should read this post that is Australian and comes to Thailand

1 minute ago, atyclb said:

all the times rented a bike including big ones never asked for license

I believe that I would be able to convince any bike renter that the MC is a motor cycle licence when in fact it is not and this is where the problem is, the law needs to be made that if the bike renter rents a bike to an unlicenced rider then they will be held responsible for allowing an unlicenced rider on the roads and hit them with a heavy fine and also if someone tries to hire a bike with the wrong class licence then the renter should know the different licence classes from each country

You can ride up to a 125cc bike or scooter in Australia with just a car license. He must have been on a bigger bike. Also there is some severely damaged car or truck hiding somewhere. There aren’t many repair shops on Samui so tracking it down is possible if they can be bothered. 

How can can it be costing A$20,000 a day for him to be in the ICU? They seem incredibly excessive even for his injuries. Good luck to him and his Family. 

7 hours ago, transam said:

So did the shop rent out a bike to a bloke with no bike license from any country...?

I haven't seen a shop yet that asks for the drivers license.

Instead of the international press focusing on the thailand entertainment industry, they should better focus far more on these kind of misfortunes. Maybe people will 
learn Thailand is a dangerous and expensive country to get involved in any accidents.

17 minutes ago, FitnessHealthTravel said:

You can ride up to a 125cc bike or scooter in Australia with just a car license. He must have been on a bigger bike. Also there is some severely damaged car or truck hiding somewhere. There aren’t many repair shops on Samui so tracking it down is possible if they can be bothered. 

How can can it be costing A$20,000 a day for him to be in the ICU? They seem incredibly excessive even for his injuries. Good luck to him and his Family. 

Incorrect.

You can ride a 50cc moped with a car license in Australia, and only in certain states, nothing bigger. A moped is a pushbike (pedals) with a small (under 50cc) engine.

In QLD, SA, WA, NT you can ride a moped under 50cc with a car license. For ACT, NSW, TAS & VIC you need a motorbike license for any bike

It was a solo accident, no other vehicles involved, so no damaged car or truck.

Archived