Australian man critical after hit and run in Samui, family told no license invalidates insurance

rooster59

My UK insurance would cover me for a bike if I had a license Helmet and was sober but he fails all.  OK we should all feel sorry for him which I do and hope he gets better but he needs a Transplant of Common Sense which seems to be a worldwide thing.  

• Replies 465
  • Created
  • Last Reply
39 minutes ago, Just Weird said:

Exactly, that was the point of my rhetorical question to the poster I responded to, there is, so far, no other insured driver!

well you should of said that and made it clearer instead of beating around the bush.:post-4641-1156693976:

5 hours ago, colinneil said:

mate i dont agree with you, i am still alive, have a reasonable life, he could have a similar life to me if he pulls through.

Also why do many posters keep spouting on about whoever did this?

His sister has stated he was travelling around a bend and lost control, nobody else involved.

ok fine if your happy good on you. many people obviously including me have not read the information that you have read. we are not as up to date as you are. thx for your post.

9 hours ago, Briggsy said:

I take it Mum has never been to Thailand before. "The police are brilliant. They couldn't have done more."

Really? Is that what they told her?

Do you live at Samui?
Samui's police are very good, and very help-some (talk from experience).

10 hours ago, PoorSucker said:

If they find him and if he has insurance. 

The original Australian article however says:
»The extent of his injuries led police and family members to initially suspect Mr French had been the victim of a hit-and-run, but investigating officers now say that does not appear to be the case.«

EDIT: I noticed another poster mentioned "sole accident" and "driving into a wall at high speed" at around 4am; don't recall seeing any source for that when scanning through the 19 pages.

It seems to be an attitude/belief among tourists from most countries that because it's not 750/1000cc it's not a motorbike, it's like a push/pedal bike with a little engine therefore it can't be dangerous. You don't need a licence for a bicycle so a little 100cc thingy doesn't need a licence either.

As a long term biker I just don't understand the thinking. 

A lot comes from the stories passed from younger (stupid tourists ) who tell friends at home don't worry about it, we rented bikes and rode them back to the hotel every night and it wasn't a problem and so much cheaper than a taxi.

In UK , USA and Oz if riding a bike you can have some level of confidence in the way other road users' will behave.

In my mind holiday insurance companies, and I mean all should have in 'LARGE PRINT'  No motorcyle accidents will be covered, if you want coverage you should organise with a local company who will require you to have a motorcycle licence.

1 hour ago, TunnelRat69 said:

Thanx, I just came back from a Thai friends place of bsiness and the Thai newspapers and TV is calling this a scam to collect money with a go fund me page.  His alcohol level is four times the legal limit and no helmet could be found on the scene..........sorry for the Guy 'for being stupid' in Thailand.

The 4am bit might be a clue.

Very sad situation but according to the mother and a witness the victim

1- had no Thai M/C license

2- had no helmet

3- left the road at high speed at 4am very likely drunk but not sure.

4- whatever insurance he might have had from OZ most likely would not cover a    M/C in Thailand.

Any one of the four would void the policy, 1 & 2 are certain, 2 & 4 likely. It would only take one. Personally I will be reviewing and increasing my coverage and the bike goes on sale tomorrow. ( Hadn't ridden since a drove past and witnessed the aftermath of the triple death wreck with young Russian, bargirl and Korean in Jomtien a few months ago).

5 hours ago, TEFLKrabi said:

Once again most posters have got the wrong and are blaming the driver/rider. The fault should be with the rental shop for renting a bike without confirming proper documentation. As, at a guess, 99% of people who rent don’t posses a motorbike licence the issue should be with a system that allows them to rent, not with the poor guy.

Disagree, it's one's own responsibility.

We have read in the news here before about tourist in accidents saying: »I did something stupid that I would never do at home«; i.e. driving a motorbike without a proper license. People know that they need a Drivers License to drive a vehicle, and that the license shall be in accordance with the vehicle they drive. Renting a motorbike without license and driving experience is taking a big risk.

11 minutes ago, Stargrazer9889 said:

If you do not have a motorcycle licence in your home country, why do you think your

insurance would  cover you anywhere else in the world? This is something that all should know.

Geezer

Because you've got money, you're Chinese, Korean. Russian or don't give a shit.

11 hours ago, darksidedog said:

It is long overdue for motor bike rental companies to be forced to not rent a vehicle out to any one who does not have a valid licence for the country. There are way too many accidents and way too many people thinking they are insured, then finding out that they are not, leaving someone else to foot the bill.

All the the rental contracts that I have seen, say:

1. The renter acknowledges they have a valid motorcycle driving licence

2.  The rental fee does not include insurance and the renter has or will obtain accident insurance

If a renter chooses not to read the contract, it's their choice, but they must assume the consequences of their actions or non-actions.

It's not the rental agency's job to police the renters, nor is it their job to know which country's licenses are valid in Thailand. Most, if not all, rental agencies would have great difficulty in interpreting foreign licenses and also verifying the authenticity of a license.

1 hour ago, PoorSucker said:

From what? 

Tax return, you don't need to declare income if you are a rice farmer that make 300 baht per day 

Some thai man drove into my wife's car from behind..he wasn't insured and poor...my wife had prime insurance so they paid all damage to her car but her insurance  hired a lawyer to sue that man and he has to pay them for another 20 years now..

Yes she felt sorry for him but hey that's how it works...

1 hour ago, TunnelRat69 said:

Thanx, I just came back from a Thai friends place of bsiness and the Thai newspapers and TV is calling this a scam to collect money with a go fund me page.  His alcohol level is four times the legal limit and no helmet could be found on the scene..........sorry for the Guy 'for being stupid' in Thailand.

Wow, so it's even on tv now...so all of us farang look stupid and especially the ones like me who drive motobike every day, cheers.

But to make things clear: who made the story of hit and run accident? The police did? And the parents believed it and put that on the gofundme page? In that case i can't blame the parents for doing so.

14 minutes ago, Banana7 said:

2.  The rental fee does not include insurance and the renter has or will obtain accident insurance

And does the rental company also sell the insurance needed?

I never knew this so i also have been driving uninsured motobikes in thailand where the renter kept my passport for all the time i had the bike.

Also all my thai friends (15 of them) didn't know this i bet...we all drove rented scooters last year on koh larn.

1 minute ago, soistalker said:

Please never ride a motorcycle or scooter in Thailand. Please. 

At least watch an hour of YouTube videos of the super ubiquitous and stupendously stupid ways the crashes happen here, PARTICULARLY to two wheel riders.

Well if you see how many (especially young thai males) ride a motocy it's not strange that many get accidents. 

1 hour ago, newnative said:

I don't think it is.  I question the medical charges being that much a day.  

You do understand that medical procedures such as the several brain surgeries and copious blood transfusions he has already undergone. are not covered in the cost of a hospital room?

Intravenous fluids, medications, bandages, etc are all extra. 

1 hour ago, Thian said:

But to make things clear: who made the story of hit and run accident? The police did? And the parents believed it and put that on the gofundme page? In that case i can't blame the parents for doing so.

The original Australian article said:
»The extent of his injuries led police and family members to initially suspect Mr French had been the victim of a hit-and-run, but investigating officers now say that does not appear to be the case.«

Licence or no licence, an insurance company will always try to look for a breach for not paying.....

"No licence ?..if yes...well let's see..."no helmet ?..ok well if so...did you drink ?...No ?!...right!...then did your scooter have lights ?"...and so on....

It is a must to take double care before venturing out at 4am, should it be in Thailand or anyplace else abroad.....keep safe !

3 hours ago, mbamber said:

My UK insurance would cover me for a bike if I had a license Helmet and was sober but he fails all.  OK we should all feel sorry for him which I do and hope he gets better but he needs a Transplant of Common Sense which seems to be a worldwide thing.  

This is an australian insurers rules..re bike. Self explanatory-

. 9. Your claim arises from the use of a two - wheeled or three - wheeled motor vehicle unless you as the driver or a passenger are wearing a crash helmet (this is irrespective of the law in the country you are in). 10. Your claim arises from a y ou being in control of a motor vehicle without a current Australian driver licen c e . 11. Your claim arises from a you being in control of a motorcycle , moped or scooter without a current Australian motorcycle or driver licenc e or you are a passenger travelling on a motorcycle , moped or scooter that is in the control of a person who does not hold a current motorcycle or driver ’ s licen c e valid for the country you are travelling in.

1 hour ago, Thian said:
1 hour ago, Banana7 said:

And does the rental company also sell the insurance needed?

I never knew this so i also have been driving uninsured motobikes in thailand where the renter kept my passport for all the time i had the bike.

Also all my thai friends (15 of them) didn't know this i bet...we all drove rented scooters last year on koh larn.

Any motorbike – and car – in Thailand include a mandatory third-party insurance, which however covers next to nothing, 30.000 to 80.000 baht per person. If the vehicle has the statutory tax-sticker – showing year and month – it has an insurance.

Extra insurance with extended cover up to "class 1", including cover of driver and passengers, can be bought by the vehicle's owner. Rental vehicles advertised as "fully insured", or like, should come with some reasonable level of extended cover.

Depending of the rental shop, a rented motorbike may come with the mandatory insurance only.

It's important when renting a vehicle in Thailand, not only motorbike, to check insurance cover. And it's important also to check one's own travel insurance, if it covers when driving a motorbike, even pillion, as a vehicle insurance don't cover the often costly repatriation. Even a 1st class vehicle insurance can be limited to 200.000 baht or 300.000 baht per person in medical expenses, which don't cover much in serious cases.

And yes, probably many people on holiday in Thailand rent and drive motorbike without proper cover – and some even without Drivers License for motorbike – I also know a few, but accidents only happen to others...:whistling:

And by the way, it's not legal for a renter to hold a passport as guaranitie for motorbike; tourists shall carry their passport for identification; at Samui however often recommended to carry a copy, and leave the original in the hotel safe. 

14 hours ago, darksidedog said:

It is long overdue for motor bike rental companies to be forced to not rent a vehicle out to any one who does not have a valid licence for the country. There are way too many accidents and way too many people thinking they are insured, then finding out that they are not, leaving someone else to foot the bill.

14 hours ago, bsdthai said:

Ive been saying this for years as do many others. Wheres the license checks? Ive been riding and competing professionally since 8yrs. You learn to see who can ride and who can not. Atleast 99.999999% can not and i gringe watching these people on the road because you know there is a good chance they could cause or be a victim of a herendous accident. If only the government gave a sht about its appearance!!!!!!  Oh wait they do. Thats why they have fancy watches. Silly me....

14 hours ago, transam said:

So did the shop rent out a bike to a bloke with no bike license from any country...?

all bikes rented out by thais have insurance therefore if a bike gets damaged the insurance will pay for repairs to bike.

16 hours ago, PoorSucker said:

Every insurance is void if you don't have proper licence. 

Normal travel insurance does not cover MC driving even if you have licence. 

Only covers if the bike is less than 50cc, check the fine print. 

If you intend to drive a MC in Thailand you actually need an extra insurance for that. 

Only big bikers know this. 

I fully agree with the sentiments expressed here but do you know the names of those insurance companies in Thailand who offer this high quality extra insurance? Up to now I have found it somewhat difficult to even get 100% insurance never mind with extras.

It appears that fully comprehensive is an anathema to Thai companies unless I am missing something.

Regards Janner1

16 hours ago, transam said:

So did the shop rent out a bike to a bloke with no bike license from any country...?

Let us not make it the responsibility of the shop to ensure people have licences and valid insurance.

But as to your question, yes they will.

Archived