Would you still take BTS if....

On 03/04/2018 at 4:21 PM, alex8912 said:
On 03/04/2018 at 3:47 PM, dfdgfdfdgs said:

I don't think they would introduce that because the BTS is used by so many foreigners already (I'd guess about a 50/50 split between foreign and Thai riders?  At least on the Sumhumvit Line, Silom maybe not quite as many foreigners).

I'd be forced to still use it, there's no other efficient way to get around a lot of BKK.

50% of riders on the Sukumvit line are not foreigners lol. Are you kidding? At most on average 10-20% max. Twenty percent is actually quite high and probably incorrect. 

If by foreigners he is including all Chinese tourists, Japanese expats, Korean expats and other Non-Thai Asians.   Don't forget foreigner does not mean White person. 

Depending on the time of day and which stations you are travelling between the percentage of white people might be as high as 20%, but at other times only 2% or less.   

The BTS is bloody good, especially if you can choose to use it outside of the morning and evening rush.   Then again I can walk to the station at my condo in 2 minutes and I rarely go anywhere that isn't at a BTS stop.    

2 hours ago, dfdgfdfdgs said:

I think it's about 50%.  Maybe slightly less outside high season.  If you mean people who don't look Asian then yes maybe about 20%.  As usual all the Chinese, Japanese, Malaysians and Koreans get lumped in with the Thais.

Oh. Then why are the ones I see all speaking Thai and texting in Thai? It’s simply not 50% I rode it 4 times this week. 

On 4/3/2018 at 3:28 PM, Gruff said:

I probably still would but it would be another reason for not re-visiting Thailand in the future.

If something is a discount for a perceived 'poorer / disadvantaged/ group that is one thing. If it is a hike to extract money from foreigners that is another

Next thing you know they will be charging more for flights out of Thailand if you are a foreigner, more for fast food, more for everything if you are a foreigner , Ooooops I shouldn't of said that, they will probably take that under advisement! :shock1:

On ‎04‎/‎04‎/‎2018 at 7:43 AM, Sandy Freckle said:

So..., does one simply go to the window at MRT to get an 'elder card' ticket ? 

Go to a ticket counter to buy your ticket and ask for a senior ticket. I wave my driving licence around but they do not look at it. 

1 hour ago, RandG said:

Go to a ticket counter to buy your ticket and ask for a senior ticket. I wave my driving licence around but they do not look at it. 

Perhaps you should try and dress younger or something. 

On 04/04/2018 at 1:45 AM, InMyShadow said:

One station costs 16 baht. And the average is around 40 baht. Westerners should leave immediately if this is an issue

Why is this even a topic?

haha exactly. i mean how would it work in practice? separate ticket sellers/ticket machines for foreigners? how would you stop a foreigner buying  ticker at a thai machine? have staff watching every machine to make sure a pesky foreigner doesn't but a thai ticket? it's just a ridiculous proposition.

11 hours ago, alex8912 said:

Oh. Then why are the ones I see all speaking Thai and texting in Thai? It’s simply not 50% I rode it 4 times this week. 

Are you suggesting only Thai people can speak and write Thai?  By that logic I guess the Thais speaking English must be foreigners...

Anyway plenty of asians speaking other languages other than Thai and I see a lot of asian people typing/reading non-Thai languages on their phones.

Maybe depends when you travel.  I don't travel at peak times when maybe a lot more people (mostly Thais) are commuting and it drowns out the tourists.

6 hours ago, LawrenceN said:

No forms. You can do it for each single fare. I have shown my driver's license, and sometimes no ID.

I get the senior discount on the MRT by just going up to the window and saying, "one senior".   I've never shown ID- I've never been asked for it.  I guess I just look old.?

5 minutes ago, dfdgfdfdgs said:

Are you suggesting only Thai people can speak and write Thai?  By that logic I guess the Thais speaking English must be foreigners...

Anyway plenty of asians speaking other languages other than Thai and I see a lot of asian people typing/reading non-Thai languages on their phones.

Maybe depends when you travel.  I don't travel at peak times when maybe a lot more people (mostly Thais) are commuting and it drowns out the tourists.

If it speaks like a Thai, texts like a Thai and LOOKS like a Thai it’s a Thai!!  

On 4/3/2018 at 3:40 PM, dfdgfdfdgs said:

I thought that was just MRT.  BTS I think foreigners can get old-people cards.  No?

The opposite. The MRT gives a discount to ALL elderly people. The BTS refuses it to ALL who are not Thai.

Edited by Bangkok Barry

10% more for foreigners?  So Thais would pay, for example, 30 baht for a fare and I would have to pay 33 baht?  I see no reason to raise my blood pressure over a few baht!  Now if it was 10 x more (as in the case of national parks) then it would be a different story!

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

On 4/3/2018 at 3:40 PM, dfdgfdfdgs said:

I thought that was just MRT.  BTS I think foreigners can get old-people cards.  No?

No. You are incorrect. I have 2 MRT elder cards BTS will not issue as not Thai citizen. 

On 4/4/2018 at 1:43 PM, Sandy Freckle said:

So..., does one simply go to the window at MRT to get an 'elder card' ticket ? 

Yes. I am not sure if I am insulted or not, they never ask for proof of age 555.

On 4/4/2018 at 6:43 PM, Crossy said:

Pretty much, there may be a form to fill, if you have a Thai speaker to take it can't hurt. You need your passport of course to prove your age.

I have 2 cards, I have never been asked to fill out any form or show proof of age. But it has been a while, I think MRT charges ฿100 for the card and the min load is ฿150. 

7 hours ago, mstevens said:

10% more for foreigners?  So Thais would pay, for example, 30 baht for a fare and I would have to pay 33 baht?  I see no reason to raise my blood pressure over a few baht!  Now if it was 10 x more (as in the case of national parks) then it would be a different story!

And it is a discount for age not an increase for nationality / skin colour.

15 hours ago, mstevens said:

I never understand this argument.  It doesn't matter if you are charged 1 baht more or 1000 baht more.  You are being charged a different price based on who you are - in this case your nationality.  It's the same sort of dangerous thinking that put black people at the back of the buses in the US.  Everybody is equal, it doesn't matter where you are from or what you look like.  If you started using this sort of backward pricing strategy in your capital city, on a mass transit network where it has most exposure to Thai people, then that's when it starts to trickle down the foodchain, and why you are charged 10 baht more than a Thai for your noodle soup.

2 minutes ago, dfdgfdfdgs said:

I never understand this argument.  It doesn't matter if you are charged 1 baht more or 1000 baht more.  You are being charged a different price based on who you are - in this case your nationality.  It's the same sort of dangerous thinking that put black people at the back of the buses in the US.  Everybody is equal, it doesn't matter where you are from or what you look like.  If you started using this sort of backward pricing strategy in your capital city, on a mass transit network where it has most exposure to Thai people, then that's when it starts to trickle down the foodchain, and why you are charged 10 baht more than a Thai for your noodle soup.

Quite right, and while we're about it let's have those VIP channels at the airport closed. The very idea that one can pay not to queue and sweat for four hours is abhorrent to all democratically-minded citizens.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, dfdgfdfdgs said:

The question that was asked was "Would you still use the BTS if......" and not a question about one's views on double pricing.  I answered the question that was asked and explained the reason why I WOULD continue to use the BTS.  The whole double pricing issue has been discussed ad nauseum and most people have the same view as you, me included....but if we're talking a small difference in price of 10% on a service that only costs a few baht, I honestly don't think it warrants getting so upset about.  Life really is too short to sweat the small - or in this case, tiny - stuff!

Edited by mstevens

Couldn't agree more Sir, instead the VIP lanes should be used by the elderly, disabled, and young families.  As you would give up your seat on a bus or train, so you should make similar sacrifices at the airport for the benefit of society.

Scrap business class too, a huge polluter not to mention a congregation of pretentious snobs.

6 hours ago, mstevens said:

if we're talking a small difference in price of 10% on a service that only costs a few baht, I honestly don't think it warrants getting so upset about.  Life really is too short!

Not getting upset about this will ultimately lead to much worse injustices which you will eventually be forced to get upset about.  Much better to nip it in the bud at the outset.

On 03/04/2018 at 3:41 PM, richard_smith237 said:

I don't use it much anyway.... 

I'd have to drive to it and park (i.e. at a Shopping Mall, Gateway or Emporium) or take a taxi. 

It's then so hot, sticky... its also commonly overcrowded (8-10am & 4-8pm) that we often have to wait longer in the heat for the next train. 

It's often easier just to hop in the car... which may or may not take longer depending on the destination, but at least I'm in my own comfortable little cage, my own aircon temp, my own music etc... 

Yes, not very 'community minded' and it adds to the traffic... but I find simply too hot to use the BTS, especially at this time of year. 

So, the price doesn't bother me, especially if only 10% extra (compared to Thai's) although I would object in principle... the double pricing wouldn't impact my use when its a necessity. 

Please don't get a government job. We won't vote for you lol

If you're over 60 get a Thai to buy you a Senior Rabbit card (okay, enough with the jokes!). A blue light goes on when you enter and leave with a Senior card (red for Student cards).

I've never seen any BTS official harass a foreigner for this. Even if they did, they'll only confiscate your card so don't keep too much on it.

If you're over 60 get a Thai to buy you a Senior Rabbit card (okay, enough with the jokes!). A blue light goes on when you enter and leave with a Senior card (red for Student cards).

I've never seen any BTS official harass a foreigner for this. Even if they did, they'll only confiscate your card so don't keep too much on it.