No entrance fee for visitors wearing traditional clothing to historical sites

webfact

No entrance fee for visitors wearing traditional clothing to historical sites

PNECO610403001000101.jpg

BANGKOK, 4 April 2018 (NNT) - The Ministry of Culture has invited Thais to wear traditional Thai clothing to gain free access to all historical parks during the Thai Heritage Preservation Week until this Sunday. 

Culture Minister Vira Rojpojchanarat said April 2nd was first observed as Thai Heritage Preservation Day in 1985 to honor Her Royal Highness Princess Maha Chakri Sirindhorn. 

This year, the Ministry of Culture has organized a free event at Bangkok National Museum, featuring daily traditional and cultural performances from 5.30 to 8.00 p.m. People can also visit nearby Putthaisawan Throne Hall to pay respect to the image of Lord Buddha. 

The ministry has also urged Thai people to wear traditional clothes to historic sites across the country. They will then be exempted from entrance fees throughout this week. The move is aimed at promoting nationalism and cultivating a love of the history of Thailand.

nnt_logo.jpg
-- nnt 2018-04-04
  • Haha 1

It's worrying that a certain person seem to think reality was as it is in a TV series and wants the country to start going backwards to be like this 'dream'.  When in reality the lives of the majority of people back then were much harder and cruel than now.

Maybe he wants to also do away with the hospitals, have people riding cows to work, dig up the railways and roads too.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Thaiwrath said:
3 hours ago, webfact said:

The ministry has also urged Thai people to wear traditional clothes to historic sites across the country. They will then be exempted from entrance fees throughout this week.

I would imagine, with the two tier pricing, farang prices for the week will now be X 3, to make up for lost revenue ! :giggle:

I can see the bureaucrats now: You're a ferang, so you need to pay nothing x3...

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Denim said:

Note to self. Must rush out and get myself a traditional outfit tomorrow.

Might be free beers in Nana Plaza.

Oops read the fine print. Falangs need not apply, Thais only. I'm a bit disappointed myself it would have solved the whole double pricing conundrum for quite a few lol.

Edited by starky
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, jak2002003 said:

It's worrying that a certain person seem to think reality was as it is in a TV series and wants the country to start going backwards to be like this 'dream'.  When in reality the lives of the majority of people back then were much harder and cruel than now.

Maybe he wants to also do away with the hospitals, have people riding cows to work, dig up the railways and roads too.

And the elections mostly:clap2:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, webfact said:

The move is aimed at promoting nationalism

Finally somebody has admitted what it's all about.

Not to be confused with patriotism, nationalism is of course an indoctrination that fosters xenophobia, notions of racial superiority, contempt for other cultures and a general "we are better than the rest of the world" attitude. Exactly what the junta wants to keep locals in check.

• Like 2

I'll pay the fee instead of wearing the 'officially sanctioned' Thai dress.

Also, the traditional Thai dress for the 99% is not the 'traditional clothing' of the Hi-Sos that is being peddled by the Thai ministries.  What is being forwarded as 'traditional dress' is an exercise in revisionist history.

This was the traditional Thai dress for the 'average' Thai citizen perhaps with the exception of the city dwellers who were not the majority population in the country prior to 1942 when Western dress was mandated and a country-wide dress code was enforced:
5ac4a9b3e7ee9_ThaiDress.png.5760a0b97f3a9afcb2ae5356ebb7f50f.png

Edited by connda
  • Like 2

On 4/4/2018 at 5:42 AM, Denim said:

Note to self. Must rush out and get myself a traditional outfit tomorrow.

Might be free beers in Nana Plaza.

It says here 'Thai people', so if you are farang looking, you won't qualify and it's easy to spot that you're not Thai.:smile:

Edited by EricTh

On 04/04/2018 at 6:04 AM, Cadbury said:

So nationalism and cultivating a love of the history of Thailand is so important that free entry for those who go in fancy dress only lasts for a week. Similar to road safety programmes and bus inspections that only last for Songkran and Christmas/New Year.

Thailand the Hub of Short Term Fixes.

Problem is, there is never any fix, it's just a wet dream for those still capable. 

On 4/4/2018 at 5:35 PM, connda said:

This was the traditional Thai dress for the 'average' Thai citizen
5ac4a9b3e7ee9_ThaiDress.png.5760a0b97f3a9afcb2ae5356ebb7f50f.png

I'm not sure about this but from what I read these aren't really Tai costumes but more like Khmer costumes.

Click on link below.

http://eastasiaorigin.blogspot.com/2017/06/ethnic-origin-of-thai.html

Edited by EricTh