With no Phuket lifeguards on patrol, Chinese tourist drowns at Patong

webfact

With no Phuket lifeguards on patrol, Chinese tourist drowns at Patong

The Phuket News

1522820955_1-org.jpg

Chinese tourist Teng Yiding, 64, is rushed off Patong Beach with a weak pulse this morning (April 4). Photo: Patong Municipality Fire & Rescue Dept

PHUKET: A 64-year-old Chinese tourist has been pronounced dead after after he was pulled from the water unconscious at Patong Beach this morning (April 4).

The tourist, Teng Yiding, 64, from the northeastern Chinese province of Liaoning, which borders North Korea, was pulled from the water just after 11am.

A Patong Municipality Fire & Rescue Department officer at the scene, who asked not to be named, told The Phuket News that he was notified of the incident by Patong Police at 11:15am.

Full story: https://www.thephuketnews.com/with-no-phuket-lifeguards-on-patrol-chinese-tourist-drowns-at-patong-66644.php

tphuketnews_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Phuket News 2018-04-04

The person/persons stopping volunteers from patrolling the beaches are responsible for what's happening as well the company that won the contract to supply trained lifeguards . People will continue to drown unless they stop dragging their feet and get lifeguards onto these beaches .

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, keith101 said:

The person/persons stopping volunteers from patrolling the beaches are responsible for what's happening as well the company that won the contract to supply trained lifeguards . People will continue to drown unless they stop dragging their feet and get lifeguards onto these beaches .

There was a volunteer lifeguard doing duty.

Patong beach is special. There are limited places to swim because the jetski and parasail operators control most of the beach and no one is allowed to use the areas they control. The result is that swimmers are forced to use some congested areas and I don't consider them the safest. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, stevenl said:

There was a volunteer lifeguard doing duty.

Thought I read a news report that the army had chased all the volunteers off all the beaches ...

Let's see if this death shakes up the so called powers-to-be. Guess we will just have another meeting and more lip service and lies.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, keith101 said:

According to other news, the system is just about to restart

https://www.thephuketnews.com/phuket-new-lifeguards-late-to-go-on-show-66622.php#Qxie7RIzFCLCVPJ8.97

Anyway, we don't really know (unless you know more than reported) how the chinese guy came to drown, and if professional life guards could have done more.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, LivinginKata said:

Thought I read a news report that the army had chased all the volunteers off all the beaches ...

Let's see if this death shakes up the so called powers-to-be. Guess we will just have another meeting and more lip service and lies.

That was at Kamala beach.

From the link:

“When we arrived a lifeguard (sic) was trying to revive the man. They were administering CPR (cardiopulmonary resuscitation), but his condition was still very worrying and his pulse was very weak,” the municipality rescue official said." and
"The municipality rescue official later confirmed to The Phuket News that the “lifeguard” on duty was actually a qualified former Phuket lifeguard who was still patrolling Patong Beach free as a volunteer."

12 hours ago, arithai12 said:

According to other news, the system is just about to restart

https://www.thephuketnews.com/phuket-new-lifeguards-late-to-go-on-show-66622.php#Qxie7RIzFCLCVPJ8.97

Anyway, we don't really know (unless you know more than reported) how the chinese guy came to drown, and if professional life guards could have done more.

We know, professional lifeguard was present.

2 hours ago, cornishcarlos said:

If he had a weak pulse then they shouldn't have been doing CPR !!!

That is why, fully qualified/trained, lifeguards are so important :)

This comment is incorrect.

The lifeguard was correct to commence CPR on a person with a weak pulse.

Edited by fantom
  • Like 1

48 minutes ago, fantom said:

This comment is incorrect.

The lifeguard was correct to commence CPR on a person with a weak pulse.

Please explain and link to evidence that my comment is incorrect. I'm happy to learn something new.

Otherwise you are just replacing my opinion with yours and calling mine wrong !!

1 hour ago, cornishcarlos said:

Please explain and link to evidence that my comment is incorrect. I'm happy to learn something new.

Otherwise you are just replacing my opinion with yours and calling mine wrong !!

https://resus.org.au/faq/will-i-do-harm-if-i-give-chest-compressions-to-someone-with-a-beating-heart/

Always try to give CPR, unless the victim complains, then he is ok.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, cornishcarlos said:

Took your time... We already established that, 2 posts back :)

You are right, apologies, I was busy resusicating some lunch. :sorry:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1