Poll -- if you knew you would live 10 years longer would you be willing to severely limited your calories?

Jingthing

Poll -- if you knew you would live 10 years longer would you be willing to severely limit your calories?  

89 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Referring to this article about the probably life extending results of severely limiting your calories, let's have a POLL for entertainment purposes only. Why? Because we can. 

https://www.npr.org/sections/thesalt/2018/04/02/598295025/scientists-say-you-may-live-longer-by-severely-restricting-calories

Now, some researchers have found that when people severely cut calories, they can slow their metabolism and possibly the aging process.

The research doesn't conclude as yet anything 100 percent definite or how many extra years you might expect if you follow the restricted calories plan.

But this is just a poll and topic on Thaivisa. Suppose the proof was definitive and the extra years you could get would be TEN.

From that artificial assumption, then please make your choice. 

Or don't. 

To add, I realize this is a little complicated but the research is not about the health benefits of not being obese. It's not about a temporary program to get down to "normal" weight and then eat more normally. It's about something different. It's about eating a severely limited calorie diet for life.

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

I think Stephen Leather's character Jack Nightingale has a good answer for this.

Because he smokes a lot people tell him often he would live longer if he wouldn't smoke.

People tell him he will live 10 years longer. And he asks similar to:

Which 10 years? Will I live 10 years more like between age 30 and 40? Or will I live 10 years longer after I am 80?

And he argues there is not much point living 10 years longer when you are 80 only to sit another 10 years in front of the TV.

I think Jack Nightingale describes the situation very well.

Sitting looking at tv better than dead stupid man. Can still go to bar at 80 and look at whores. 

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

This is a tough question to accurately answer without knowing how you define "severely limit".  I already limit my diet to keep off the extra fat, but I still eat enough to fully enjoy all of my meals.  Now I suspect that I could gain a few more years of life if I were willing to fast for 24 or 48 hours every few weeks, but that's not a lifestyle I can see myself sustaining for any length of time; better to enjoy the years I have than to be miserable for a longer period of time.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, steve73 said:

plenty of other risky choices to cut down on (e.g. booze, drugs, motorcycles)

What! :ohmy:  They are what keep some people young, so life is worth living. 

Eat sufficient, don't have to clean the plate, don't eat ice cream and extra fries eat either or... You can have ice cream for supper! Just not with supper.

Exercise more to burn off a few calories. 

I voted #3

My understanding is that these studies are not about obesity. That's already known health risk. I think the calorie restriction they're talking about probably would involve a lifetime feeling of hunger but well short of starvation. Also with longevity what's mostly important is more quality years. 10 extra years in pain and a total wreck isn't so hot. I think the premise of this poll is getting more quality years. But hungry ones.

Sent from my Lenovo A7020a48 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

3 hours ago, helloagain said:

Sitting looking at tv better than dead stupid man. Can still go to bar at 80 and look at whores. 

Wow,

Well, seeing as you put it like that, what a great way to spend an extra ten years watching TV and visiting bars to look at whores!

And they say ' Youth is wasted on the youth? '

• Haha 1

My Mothers  90 she eats  like a horse, I once said to an ole  bloke I knew  well, if  u quit smoking you might live to be 100, he was 93 at the time, he said "what makes you think i want to live to be 100"!!!, he died not  long after, nice guy , used to fly Lancaster Bombers in the war guess he knew death could be along anytime back then.

This was proven in mice not sure about humans BUT doesnt your  heart only have a  certain amount of  beats it  can do??? after that your times up.................I say this as I have a slow  pulse always have had 46bpm sometimes 42 doc said Im an athlete, I assured him I wasnt, normal 60-100 although they say??? over 90 now is too  much.

Slow heart beat has no effect on me.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/science/2016/03/14/how-fast-your-heart-beats-predicts-if-you-will-die-early/

Edited by kannot

7 minutes ago, seancbk said:

I only eat for energy, so I eat very plain food and more or less the same thing everyday.

Eating is an inconvenience I'd rather avoid, plus I'd rather be hungry than fat.

Yeah, but topic is not about being fat. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Jingthing said:

Yeah, but topic is not about being fat. 

It is about not eating though.

I just gave the two reasons why I have no problem with a calorie restricted diet.

• Thanks 1

Just now, seancbk said:

It is about not eating though.

I just gave the two reasons why I have no problem with a calorie restricted diet.

Sure, but now imagine cutting 25 percent of the calories in your CURRENT eating. Could you / would you do that for life? Hmm?

11 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Sure, but now imagine cutting 25 percent of the calories in your CURRENT eating. Could you / would you do that for life? Hmm?

Absolutely.   I would cut out 100% if I could.   

For some mysterious reason the poll doesn't offer the following choice:

If you knew you would live 10 years shorter, would you reduce blah blah blah?

The world, at least the Western part of it, will not collapse because of too many calories, but because of too many elderlies!

Depends. 10 plus what. If you can live to 90 by normal heathly eating why bother?

The main purpose of good diet is feel better, more capacity to do things and not drop dead at 50 or 60.

What are going to do from 90 to 100? 

1 hour ago, Jingthing said:

The only sustainable way is to go low carb. Protein fills you up, carbs don't.

1 hour ago, seancbk said:

I only eat for energy, so I eat very plain food and more or less the same thing everyday.

Eating is an inconvenience I'd rather avoid, plus I'd rather be hungry than fat.

Spices contain 50 to 60 times more antioxidants than regular food. Plus they taste good.

4 hours ago, steve73 said:

The problem with living in Thailand, is that much of the best Thai food is heavily calorie laden (and also moreish), and to continue the Stephen Leather analogy... you never know when a speeding truck will blindside you terminally...!

Live each day as it comes and enjoy it - plenty of other risky choices to cut down on (e.g. booze, drugs, motorcycles - esp. in combination with the first two) that'll give you a better chance of another 10 years here...

You can eat much the same thing without adding coconut milk or sugar. Dry curries and stir fries.

1 hour ago, Justfine said:

You can eat much the same thing without adding coconut milk or sugar. Dry curries and stir fries.

Coconut milk (kati or however that is spelled) is one of the things which makes Thai food delicious. What you suggest is like drinking Gin-Tonic without the Gin.

16 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Coconut milk (kati or however that is spelled) is one of the things which makes Thai food delicious. What you suggest is like drinking Gin-Tonic without the Gin.

Rubbish. Easy to make a good curry without coconut. You obviously know nothing about curries.