Thailand and Hoteliers want the Chinese over Western Tourist

webfact

1 hour ago, mogandave said:

Half the people in any country are above average income.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

Sadly not so.  Poor people are only thousands below the average income.  A very few rich people are millions above the average income.

54 minutes ago, StreetCowboy said:

Sadly not so.  Poor people are only thousands below the average income.  A very few rich people are millions above the average income.

The thing is not to confuse average and median...

Half of the people are above the median income...meanwhile the average income is twisted upward by those who earn enormous amounts of money...like the American trio of Buffett, Gates and Bezos who own as much as the lower half of the population!

China is just a hop away from Thailand separated by a narrow border.

If you don't like Chinese tourists, you shouldn't come to Thailand because their numbers are going to increase when their currency goes up and they have more purchasing power.

The Chinese have been coming to Thailand for centuries  and not recently as most people think. Many of them have become citizens of Thailand.

Most of the food that you think are Thai are actually Chinese such as chicken oil rice, soy based products etc.

Edited by EricTh

Ofcores the hotels and tour attractions want Chinese but here some info they not want give better salary to the staff it is only few company there get money from Chinese but westerners bring money to alot more Thais then Chinese 

Just one example a western man on holiday meaby go out eating or buy food on market meaby spend money in a bar get a lady she can therefore support her family in easan 

What do Chinese nothing if you ask the Thai people they want westerners and not Chinese 

But the rich companies control tat and government 

There is always two sides of the story that is a fact 

On 4/5/2018 at 8:06 PM, JSixpack said:

The fact is that our near-sighted TVF Posters never see anyone opening their wallets in any of the malls. But the standard measure for our econometricians is not wallets but the more obvious shopping bag count. Malls just provide free aircon and launder money. And provide brand name recognition--for brands only available in malls where no one's buying. :cheesy:

On 4/5/2018 at 8:34 PM, impulse said:

Anyone who believes the Chinese are Cheap Charlies should wander by the check in kiosks at Swampy for flights to China.  I fly to a 2nd tier city in China 5-6 times a year, and I am gobsmacked at the amount of stuff they have bought and now have to get on the plane.  They come to Thailand with shopping lists of luxury and mundane crap their friends want them to bring back, and also spend a lot on gifts, if only  to show their friends and relatives that they're world travelers.

Next time anybody is flying out of BKK airport, just glance over to the queue in front of the VAT tax rebate  windows. Predominantly Chinese and now can be a long wait. Before the Chinese arrived in town queues relatively rare, but the line stretched right back the mid-morning I was last there.

Edited by SheungWan
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, mogandave said:

The hotels I stay in seem to have a fair percentage of Chinese tourists that do not appear to be part of tour packages.

Part of their PR issue is that it's difficult to figure out which of the independent travelers (and couples and small groups of indies) are Chinese.  It didn't used to be that way.  But today, I can't tell a Chinese traveler from Japanese, Korean, or even a local Thai, unless I'm close enough to hear them speak.  And I lived there for 10 years.  So I'm amused by the guys who claim they can 100% spot a Chinese tourist from any distance.

• 2 weeks later...
On 5.4.2018 at 8:20 AM, Samui Bodoh said:

The issue that I see and hear about from friends in the tourism business is where the money from the Chinese people is going. To oversimplify a bit, it seems that certain hotels, certain tourist sites, and certain shops are doing very well.

Yes, but some Chinese who comes now with group tours will come later as individual tourists. I saw in a hotel in Chiang Mai where we slept 3 individual Chinese families in holiday. The Chinese are coming in so large numbers that also the smaller Thai business will benefit.

Times are changing. The western countries will become less important and the Asian countries more important. We have to accept this.

Thailand must take this chance. China and India are not far away and they have together more than 2 Billion people. A huge market. It is the future....

2 minutes ago, andre47 said:

Yes, but some Chinese who comes now with group tours will come later as individual tourists. I saw in a hotel in Chiang Mai where we slept 3 individual Chinese families in holiday. The Chinese are coming in so large numbers that also the smaller Thai business will benefit.

Times are changing. The western countries will become less important and the Asian countries more important. We have to accept this.

Thailand must take this chance. China and India are not far away and they have together more than 2 Billion people. A huge market. It is the future....

50m tourists means disaster for the islands

3 minutes ago, Justfine said:

50m tourists means disaster for the islands

Yes, and not only for the islands...

Last week I was near Krabi looking the underwater world. What I saw was only dead corals.

Dozens of big tourist ships were bringing Chinese tourist to this spot every day. Hordes of them jumping in the water. Everything is already dead there.

But nobody will change this. It is too much money involved. Look how much plastic is swimming in the oceans. Have you ever been in India. Everywhere plastic... it looks terrible. Our world will get destroyed anyway. Nobody can stop this. Very sad.