DDPM: those in an accident while intoxicated can't make insurance claim

webfact

DDPM: those in an accident while intoxicated can't make insurance claim

PNSOC610405001005201.jpg

BANGKOK, 5th April 2018, (NNT) - The Department of Disaster Prevention and Mitigation has reminded motorists that those being in an accident while under the influence of alcohol cannot make an insurance claim. 

Director of DDPM’s Road Safety Operation Center, Chumpot Wannachatsiri, indicated today that those in accidents who are proven to have more than 50 milligrams of alcohol per 100 milligram of their blood do not have the right to claim any compensation from insurance companies for either the one who caused the accident, or the victim of the accident. The former will be the sole responsible party for any damages. 

Meanwhile, the Public Health Ministry has prepared ambulances and medical personnel in 198 districts in rural provinces and in areas of the capital deemed accident prone areas. 

The ministry, together with the Thai Health Promotion Foundation and the DDPM’s Road Safety Operation Center, explained, that during this long Songkran holiday period, the campaign is employing about 165,000 medical personnel. They are divided into 14,492 emergency response units with 1,500 surgeons available for the medical tasks. 

Minister of Public Health Dr. Piyasakol Sakolsatayadorn has dispatched officials responsible for conducting Blood Alcohol Content, to risky areas. He said more emphasis will be placed on preventing the sale of alcoholic beverage on the street and during a specified period, the banning of alcohol consumption while driving or boarding a vehicle. 

Last year road accidents killed a total of 440 individuals and put more than 4,141 in hospital.

nnt_logo.jpg
-- nnt 2018-04-05

Wouldn't it be something if - and especially to show that they can do it at this traditionally boozy time - the Thai driving public could adopt the UK radio anti-drink-driving ad . . . "Mates don't let mates drink drive."

And, if they could keep to the slogan . . . yes, I know . . . just a crazy dream.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, KhunBENQ said:

half and half :cheesy::cheesy:

National News Bureau.

They don't have a proofreader ???

I saw that too and was scratching my head...  :w00t:

So to believe NNT, the no-insurance-coverage deal for drunken driving only applies when your blood content is half blood and half alcohol???? 

those in accidents who are proven to have more than 50 milligrams of alcohol per 100 milligram of their blood

:burp:   :cheesy:   :clap2:

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK
  • Like 1

Usually it expressed in percent: 0.05%.

In Germany "per mill" is usual (would be 0.5 per mill then).

Most countries fall in the range of 0% to 0.08% nowadays.

Better do the math for weight or volume(?) on your own :smile:

Edited by KhunBENQ

3 hours ago, bluesofa said:

I wonder if this includes passengers on public transport?

Yes.

On each trip in a Bell bus e.g. you are pointed to "no smoking", "no alcohol drinking" (and fasten seat belt).

Of course there are "pros" who know how to fill a juice bottle with booze before departure. :biggrin:

Seen recently on a Thai related youtube video.

Edited by KhunBENQ
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, overherebc said:

I think the idea is that the insurance will cover damage/injury to others but not the drunk driver or his vehicle.

Not if the information in the original article is correct ...

5 hours ago, webfact said:

... do not have the right to claim any compensation from insurance companies for either the one who caused the accident, or the victim of the accident.

4 minutes ago, chickenslegs said:

Not if the information in the original article is correct ...

Missed that bit.

You're right. So Somchai ( pissed ) who earns 300 baht a day will pay for the repair to Hi-So's Benz that he hit with his 25 year old pick up.

Good idea, not.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, robblok said:

Yes it is terrible for victims.. there should be some government fund that pays victims and then pursues the people who drink and drive till they pay or go bankrupt. 

And if bankrupt before final payment, jail time.

They pay prisoners 3 bucks a day - stay in jail until the bill paid in full. Takes all your life - tough.

Publish this on the 6 oclock news. Everybody will get the message.

11 minutes ago, canthai55 said:

And if bankrupt before final payment, jail time.

They pay prisoners 3 bucks a day - stay in jail until the bill paid in full. Takes all your life - tough.

Publish this on the 6 oclock news. Everybody will get the message.

Agree but it won't happen like that.

It really means the insurance companies are trying to push everyone into first class/fully comp' insurance.

Edited by overherebc

12 minutes ago, overherebc said:

Agree but it won't happen like that.

It really means the insurance companies are trying to push everyone into first class/fully comp' insurance.

Back home in the States, you can buy an inexpensive rider to protect against being hit by an uninsured motorist.  Is that offered in LOS?

In that case, I'm covered and it's up to my insurance company to go after the uninsured motorist for reimbursement.

11 minutes ago, impulse said:

Back home in the States, you can buy an inexpensive rider to protect against being hit by an uninsured motorist.  Is that offered in LOS?

In that case, I'm covered and it's up to my insurance company to go after the uninsured motorist for reimbursement.

I believe that you can do the same in UK.

For Thailand I really have no idea.

Anyone out there in TV land know?

14 hours ago, overherebc said:

I think the idea is that the insurance will cover damage/injury to others but not the drunk driver or his vehicle.

Basically your fully comp' is reduced to 3rd party only.

Seems I missed the part where it says the victim isn't covered either.

Corrected a few posts later.

Sorry.

To hlj and bigbadgeordie

Edited by overherebc

Can we hope that in translation 'the victim' means the drunk driver, meaning medical bills for him will not be covered as well as damage to his vehicle but the third party will be?

We can live in hope!!!

Edited by overherebc

20 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

I saw that too and was scratching my head...  :w00t:

So to believe NNT, the no-insurance-coverage deal for drunken driving only applies when your blood content is half blood and half alcohol???? 

:burp:   :cheesy:   :clap2:

Isn't that too much blood in the alcohol stream?

• Haha 2

17 minutes ago, Jonah Tenner said:

Isn't that too much blood in the alcohol stream?

The whole page doesn't make sense, going by the translation.

If it was only the first paragraph then it would seem to say that the 'drunk driver and his/her vehicle are not covered.'

It needs a bit of clarification.

Edited by overherebc