Speed limits in and outside urban area under change to curb traffic fatalities and facilitate driving

webfact

I just can't get this out of my mind and it just escapes me how officials can be so dumb as to have the record for the most dangerous country in the world  to be on the roads but then increase the speed limit. :blink:And while I was out this morning I suddenly realised its APRIL but I couldn't remember when the thread was started so I vowed when I got back I would check the date.

And to my utter dismay it was only 22 hours ago so it wasn't an April 1st joke:sad:

I shudder to think of the high rate of carnage on Thailand roads because of this stupid decision.

• Like 1

The best idea I can think of.. Is for lorries to have a particle monitor on the exhaust exit. As the particulate matter increases above a certain limit a yellow light flashes above the cab. This would alert the world to speeding carry excessive loads mechanical failure fuel cheating. A whole host of illegal activities could be avoided with such a monitor and not much cost. But like all ideas, there's no point if there's no enforcement.

The majority of people already travel at 110+km on the main roads. If you drive at the max 90km you get overtaken by most traffic on the road including buses and lorries. It makes sence to increase the limit, to fall in line with most major/main roads now being 4 lanes. Where the inprovement is needed, is education of drivers and improvement of the driving skills. Most of them do not have any thought for other drivers, it is the “only me on the road mentality” what causes most accidents. Numerous times when driving, I have to take avoiding action due to oncoming idiots in my lane while overtaking. Whether you have speed limits at 90 or 110km will never stop this. There need to be more unmarked police cars on the roads pulling these reckless drivers over with on the spot fines. Once you start hitting drivers hard with fines, then they will start to obey speed limits and highways policy. Majority of bad driving could be eradicated by more police presence on the roads and them enforcing the policies. 

This is only realistic, who keeps speed limits of 80 or 100 on 3 lane highways? Speed of 120 on highways is rarely a reason for accidents. There are much more important things to do like limit the load of pick-ups and trucks, monitor the technical conditions of vehicles but most of all teach motorclyclists to drive more carefully. Too many accidents with crazy motorbike riders.

Be like handing Thai drivers a hand grenade and say pull the pin and hang onto it.Anyway Thai drivers dont obey the speed limits now so it wont matter  what the speed limit is . Plus the keystone cops  dont pull to many over for speeding Ok Thai drivers i am issuing a challenge Lets see if we can beat the death toll for songtan from last year? Come on there will be enough idiot  thai drivers on the road i am sure you can do it  

On 4/5/2018 at 4:23 PM, Lobber said:

Lane discipline  and thoughtful driving is whats needed. Are there these many deaths in Europe where there are no speed limits in some areas.

Just teach the <deleted> to drive properly

Oh, they mostly drive properly - it's just that they are inconsiderate to other drivers!

They should restrict maximum hours at a stretch that commercial drivers can do.

And most importantly, enforce the <deleted> laws. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, wgdanson said:

So still limit the speed of busses and trucks to say, 80kph, and BAN THEM in the outside lanes.

Differences in speed cause differences in traffic flow and that is a problem.  A group all moving 110km/h together is much safer then a road where some traffic is going 40km/h and some is going 130km/h.

Just now, SilverBeast said:

Differences in speed cause differences in traffic flow and that is a problem.  A group all moving 110km/h together is much safer then a road where some traffic is going 40km/h and some is going 130km/h.

There are signs in my neck of the Thai woods which say SLOW TRAFFIC KEEP LEFT and a few metres later say RIGHT LANE FOR PASSING ONLY. Now if the first one said ALL TRAFFIC keep left, the SLOW Thai drivers would not feel so picked on...................maybe.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, fullcave said:

They should also have a minimum speed limit. Cars and trucks doing less than 60 are a hazard. Also make the right line for passing only. But okay, it's a good starting point. 

The right lane IS for passing only. But TIT.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, fullcave said:

They should also have a minimum speed limit. Cars and trucks doing less than 60 are a hazard. Also make the right line for passing only. But okay, it's a good starting point. 

I see where you're coming from, but there are always going to be slow vehicles and some of them for valid reason. Signs advising the slow-coaches to keep over to the left is the only way to reduce this problem . . . alas.