At U.N. nerve agent attack meeting, Russia tells Britain - 'You'll be sorry'

webfact

At U.N. nerve agent attack meeting, Russia tells Britain - 'You'll be sorry'

By Michelle Nichols

2018-04-05T204852Z_2_LYNXNPEE341J6_RTROPTP_4_UN-RUSSIA.JPG

Russian Ambassador to the United Nations (U.N.) Vasily Nebenzya holds a copy of a British report on an incident in Salisbury, UK, during a meeting of the U.N. Security Council at U.N. headquarters in New York, U.S., April 5, 2018. REUTERS/Lucas Jackson

UNITED NATIONS (Reuters) - Russia told Britain at the United Nations Security Council on Thursday that "you're playing with fire and you'll be sorry" over its accusations that Moscow was to blame for poisoning a former Russian spy and his daughter.

It was the second showdown between Russia and Britain at the world body since the March 4 nerve agent attack on Sergei Skripal and his daughter Yulia in an English town. Russia, which requested Thursday's council meeting, denies any involvement.

The attack has had major diplomatic ramifications, with mass expulsions of Russian and Western diplomats. The 15-member Security Council first met over the issue on March 14 at Britain's request.

"We have told our British colleagues that 'you're playing with fire and you'll be sorry'," Russian U.N. Ambassador Vassily Nebenzia said during a more than 30-minute speech that attempted to poke holes in Britain's allegations against Moscow.

He suggested that anyone who watched television crime shows like Britain's 'Midsomer Murders' would know "hundreds of clever ways to kill someone" to illustrate the "risky and dangerous" nature of the method Britain says was used to target Skripal.

British police believe a nerve agent was left on the front door of the Salisbury home where Skripal lived after he was freed in a spy swap. He was a military intelligence colonel who betrayed dozens of Russian agents to Britain's MI6 spy service.

"We believe that the UK's actions stand up to any scrutiny," British U.N. Ambassador Karen Pierce told the Security Council. "We have nothing to hide ... but I do fear that Russia might have something to fear."

At the global chemical weapons watchdog Wednesday, Russia called for a joint inquiry into the poisoning of the Skripals, but lost a vote on the measure.

"Allowing Russian scientists into an investigation where they are the most likely perpetrators of the crime in Salisbury would be like Scotland Yard inviting in Professor Moriarty," Pierce told reporters earlier on Thursday, citing a character from "Sherlock Holmes."

At the end of the council meeting, Nebenzia read a passage from the novel "Alice in Wonderland" about a trial where the Queen demands the sentence first and the verdict afterward. "Does that remind you of anything?" he added.

Pierce responded: "There is another very good quote from Alice in Wonderland which is: 'sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast' so I think that's the quote the suits my Russian colleague best."

(Reporting by Michelle Nichols; Editing by James Dalgleish)

reuters_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Reuters 2018-04-06
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, FreddieRoyle said:

Yes indeed. Many of us(including myself) are already very sorry. We are sorry that before any real investigative process could have been done the accusations against Russia were immediate and from the highest levels of our government. It was embarrassing, particularly as we are repeatedly told to not rush to assumptions after every event not potentially involving Russians. That this action against all protocols and advises was done sets of alarm bells - and increases the pool of suspects - to include those that were so quick to cast blame,and throws up many other possible motives for such an attack.

Over the last year, in fact coincidentally since DT won his election, the Russians have been the bogeyman. All and any bad, or inconvenient issue has just been blamed on Russians, and people have been lapping this up unquestioningly. I hope this Russophobia will be tackled before it gets totally out of control, the potential consequences are too terrible to consider. Due process is due process for good reason.

“The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary.” H.L. Mencken

So the right do not trust their own intelligence services anymore. You know Trump supports them here?

Strange world we're living in, look also at the right accusing the left of being the globalists.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, Topdoc said:

The 17 year regional war in the greater Middle East from which Russia has emerged as the victor has so p____d off the western alliance that they will resort to any smear campaign to discredit / defame them.

Methinks you've forgotten who invaded Afghanistan in 1979 and stayed until 1989.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, maxcorrigan said:

They don't have to pull strings in the UK we go along with anything they want these days, since the blair and Thatcher love-ins!

Yes! Blair and Thatcher! It went on before that; Reagan and Thatcher.

Wasn't it Reagan who, in a wistful moment, famously said; "Ah yes! Margaret,,,,,, pity I'm only screwing her country!""

Edited by owl sees all

28 minutes ago, owl sees all said:

Yes! Blair and Thatcher! It went on before that; Reagan and Thatcher.

Wasn't it Reagan who, in a wistful moment, famously said; "Ah yes! Margaret,,,,,, pity I'm only screwing her country!""

Only on Spitting Image:

http://spittingimage.wikia.com/wiki/Ronald_Reagan

Shame I can't find a vid of the clip. It's funny.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, owl sees all said:

There are so many holes in the UK's version(s) of the incident. The US is pulling the strings in Europe and probably in the UK too.

I am thinking there never was a 'nerve agent' incident. Just another Russian demonizing ploy.

It;s all building up and UK is right in the middle.

Denying it was Novichok is the new Russia/fringe left talking point now?

:coffee1:

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Khun Han said:

Correct, it's 2018, and you need to get up to speed on the Litvinenko case, and find out who Alexander's family now accuse of poisoning him. And it aint Putin or the Russian state.

You could just link it here, if it's in any way relevant (which I somehow doubt).

1 hour ago, Morch said:
4 hours ago, Khun Han said:

Correct, it's 2018, and you need to get up to speed on the Litvinenko case, and find out who Alexander's family now accuse of poisoning him. And it aint Putin or the Russian state.

You could just link it here, if it's in any way relevant (which I somehow doubt).

I wasn't the one who brought Alexander Litvinenko into this debate.

Anyone interested in this (Morch just wants it to go away, along with anything else which doesn't fit his narrative) simply has to google "litvinenko father".

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Thaidream said:

-There is ample evidence out there that the Russians go after defectors anywhere in the World in an attempt to silence them permanently.

-There are plenty of reports that Putin within Russia trumps up legal cases and attempts to imprison his potential rivals

- It is a known fact that the Russians have interfered massively in the Us election process and may have even altered the result.

When one looks at all the past History of what the Russians do and have done- it is easy to point the finger at Putin and Russia as being responsible.  The proof will eventually come out and if I had  to guess MI6 already has it.  The British Government would never go after the Russians like they have and garnered so much support if there was no 'evidence'.

Who do the Russians think they are playing to- trying to threaten the UK indicating they will be sorry.

The Russians are a clear and present danger to the World just as the Chinese.  These 2 countries need to be contained. Also, rather interesting that Trump wants to get out of Syria and leave it to the Russians and Comrade Putin. The only person who has any real  'gut's is Prime Minister May.  Trump is a paper tiger.

They do not go after inactive spies who have been jailed, debriefed and the freed under a spy swap arrangement.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Khun Han said:

I wasn't the one who brought Alexander Litvinenko into this debate.

Anyone interested in this (Morch just wants it to go away, along with anything else which doesn't fit his narrative) simply has to google "litvinenko father".

You're the one trying to spin it, though. That Litivenko the elder retracted his allegations on RT is very "convincing". Try harder.

1 hour ago, Morch said:

You're the one trying to spin it, though. That Litivenko the elder retracted his allegations on RT is very "convincing". Try harder.

As usual you sidestep. Presenting bald fact is not 'spin' The RT interview is available on youtube, where Walter discusses his son's murder amicably with Andrei Lugovoi, the man the UK accused of Alexander's murder. Russian-speakers watching this video can confirm the facts. Morch will continue to deflect because this truth doesn't fit his narrative.

4 minutes ago, Khun Han said:

As usual you sidestep. Presenting bald fact is not 'spin' The RT interview is available on youtube, where Walter discusses his son's murder amicably with Andrei Lugovoi, the man the UK accused of Alexander's murder. Russian-speakers watching this video can confirm the facts. Morch will continue to deflect because this truth doesn't fit his narrative.

Hmm, no. Russia Today is not exactly an unbiased source, and stories like this on there should simply be ignored.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Thaidream said:

-There are plenty of reports that Putin within Russia trumps up legal cases and attempts to imprison his potential rivals

Agreed, and Putin is definitely on the world top Dictatorial list, but he has been such a good role model and mentor:

4 hours ago, rockingrobin said:

-There are plenty of reports that Putin Trump within Russia America trumps up legal cases and attempts to imprison his potential rivals