Darts: Five-times world champion Bristow dies aged 60

webfact

Darts: Five-times world champion Bristow dies aged 60

Reuters Staff

da.jpg

Darts - Betfred.com League of Legends Play-Offs - Circus Tavern - Purfleet - Essex - 22/8/08 Eric Bristow Mandatory Credit: Action Images / Lee Mills

LONDON (Reuters) - Five-time world darts champion Eric Bristow died on Thursday at the age of 60 following a heart attack, the Professional Darts Corporation (PDC) said in a statement.

One of the sports first great players, the man known as the “Crafty Cockney” was world champion five times between 1980-1986 and won five masters titles during a stellar career.

His final world championship, in 2000, was Bristow’s 23rd in a career during which he won over 70 professional titles.

He was inducted into the PDC Hall of Fame in 2005 and retired from competing at the end of 2007.

Bristow also worked as a TV pundit and was awarded the MBE for his services to sport in 1989.

“Eric will always be a legend in the world of darts and British sport,” PDC Chairman Barry Hearn said.

“He was a tremendous player and a huge character and even after his retirement fans would travel for miles to meet him and see him play.

“Eric was never afraid of controversy, but he spoke as he found and was honest and straightforward which is what people admired about him. The PDC, and the sport of darts, will miss him.”

(Reporting by Ken Ferris, editing by Ed Osmond)

reuters_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Reuters 2018-04-06

1 hour ago, Justfine said:

60yo is young. Not the most healthy sport.

Never heard darts called a sport before.

60 is young now-a-days you are right.

Great dart player.

Edited by owl sees all
  • Haha 1

Table tennis is called a sport. Why isn't darts in the Olympics? It should be. Fun to watch.

Darts could be classed as a sport alongside table tennis but I've not heard that before.

Darts and snooker and fishing could be Olympic sports; why not? Also pole squatting and being buried alive!

Do you remember the UK , TV programme; "This is the year of the sex Olympics; sex Olympic year?"

Edited by owl sees all
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, owl sees all said:

Darts could be classed as a sport alongside table tennis but I've not heard that before.

Darts and snooker and fishing could be Olympic sports; why not? Also pole squatting and being buried alive!

Do you remember the UK , TV programme; "This is the year of the sex Olympics; sex Olympic year?"

No. Buried alive is a sport? That would be interesting.

Snooker should be in.

Synchronised swimming out.

Fishing not practical.

• Confused 1

No. Buried alive is a sport? That would be interesting.

Snooker should be in.

Synchronised swimming out.

Fishing not practical.

Being buried alive is indeed a sport. A young Irishman holds the world record; set in Maida Vale (near Lords Cricket ground).

I agree about snooker. But the Yanks would not like it; "what about pool?" they would moan. Trump would throw a strop over that.

When Synchro' swimming first came on the scene it was for men only. The girls have taken it over. Give it back I say.

"Fishing not practical." Perhaps not in the way we fish at the moment but I'm thinking more about catching electronic, tagged fish; sort of 'number 69 takes the gold'.

I would like to see all sports/games/pastimes with animals taken out of the Olympics. Kick dogs, horses, sheep etc,,, out. 

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, owl sees all said:

I would like to see all sports/games/pastimes with animals taken out of the Olympics. Kick dogs, horses, sheep etc,,, out. 

How would all the rich royalty win their gold medals if equestrian was banned?

I would much prefer to watch a darts match  than  tiresome golf or motor racing.  But darts is not a sport. LOL.

Its entertainment  in which a jug of beer is placed on a small table and two pub knobs  throw darts at a board inbetween drinks. I have no idea why theyre doing it , but it is amusing to watch.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I was around during the 70's,with a young eric,leighton rees,and not forgetting the great alan evans.i was at jollies in stoke when alan went to nut eric, he got banned after.they were great to watch,sadly alan died only 49.

so I bet he's waiting for eric up there.

R.I.P. ERIC you were a great player.

do you remember RINGO.

2 minutes ago, Andrew65 said:

It ain't that young, my brother in law died at 51 from a first-time heart attack.

RIP Eric.

Yep, I think most of us know of folk who passed on at an early age. The youngest I knew was 28....:sad:

2 minutes ago, Andrew65 said:

It ain't that young, my brother in law died at 51 from a first-time heart attack.

RIP Eric.

Average is about 85 for westerners. 51 is very young but 45 to 70 is the heart attack zone i believe. Make it past that and you can make it past 80.

• Confused 1

11 minutes ago, transam said:

Yep, I think most of us know of folk who passed on at an early age. The youngest I knew was 28....:sad:

The average UK life expectancy for males is 79.4 and slightly higher for females.

So 60 is far too young, however it is not a game renowned for its "fitness levels". Having said that Ray Wilkins passed away yesterday at age 61 and that is a sport where fitness levels are high...........let himself go after years of a strict eating regimen perhaps, or poss congenital?

2 hours ago, lanista said:

I would much prefer to watch a darts match  than  tiresome golf or motor racing.  But darts is not a sport. LOL.

Its entertainment  in which a jug of beer is placed on a small table and two pub knobs  throw darts at a board inbetween drinks. I have no idea why theyre doing it , but it is amusing to watch.

Great post Ianista. I think that way too. But I think you are missing a trick or two here. 

Golf; the ultimate contest between ball and hole.

Motor racing; the advancement of motor technology.

And that bit about why they are doing it; is that the throwing of the darts or the supping of the beer; or both?

Some of my old buddies will be extra sad about this news !
He was due to appear in the local club in just over a week !

IMG_8096.JPG

Fellas like Eric were my heroes when i was at “ the oche “ in my local, The Angel tap room !

RIP Eric , you certainly gave us some good entertainment !!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

Fellas like Eric were my heroes when i was at “ the oche “ in my local, The Angel tap room !

RIP Eric , you certainly gave us some good entertainment !!

Eric was one of the straightest talkers I have ever heard. Pulled no punches whatsoever. Fell out with a few when speaking out.

• Like 1

Eric was one of the straightest talkers I have ever heard. Pulled no punches whatsoever. Fell out with a few when speaking out.

Yep, he was the Hurricane Higgins or Ronnie O’Sulliven of the darts world, obviously a great player but also someone who wasn’t afraid to speak his mind.

Very entertaining in his commentating also !

I never had the chance to go to America,70's,the team of Leighton ree's,eric bristow,john madley and a very under rated player,terry james all from the valley's except rik.i have to look up all them boys who were playing in the 70's.

that will bring back some memories all those trips to London,getting pissed at 8-30am to be on the oche at 9.

one I remember was a night before a match,eric,big cliff,and a bunch of up and coming player's at the 

ROYAL OAK HARLESDEN they never forgot the boyo's.one who will be remembered ALAN EVANS.

you will always be remembered RIK.