Historical costumes and assault rifles - Happy "Sensible Songkran"

webfact

Historical costumes and assault rifles - Happy "Sensible Songkran"

1pm1.jpg

Pictures: Daily News

Tourism Minister Weerasak Kowsurat dressed up in a costume from Thai history while Thai commandos with very modern assault rifles paraded at Asiatique Waterfront in Bangkok yesterday.

It was all part of the tourism ministry and top brass police plan for a more traditional, safe and even "Sensible Songkran".

The event attended by many of the RTP's stellar stars was billed as "Thai Style Sensible Songkran - using water wisely and being safe".

National police chief General Jakthip Chaijinda was there. On this occasion even Surachet "Big Joke" Hakpal - crime buster extraordinary - was upstaged by seniority.

1pm.jpg

Everyone was entertained by national artist "Mae Khwanjit" Sriprachan.

And out came those historical costumes inspired by a recent TV soap - with many top cops following Weerasak's lead in donning court attire from yesteryear.

It promises to be a charming, lovely and let's hope "Sensible Songkran 2018".

Source: Daily News

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2018-04-06
  • Like 1

What's wrong with being pround on national costumers? Look in the Arab world, in Western Africa, or.. Volendam in Netherlands, so many tourists visit.

Volendammer dracht.jpg

Edited by puipuitom
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Tradition wear is pleasant to see...when it is worn at the right events/season AND for the right reason. If they think this is going to stop the road carnage then I hang my head low and take a deep sigh. What is even worse, in the event that figures are even one count down 'they' will probably claim that wearing traditional clothes was a success.

5 hours ago, AlQaholic said:

The attire they are wearing was for the elite, upper class and wealthy in the olden times. If they are going to revert back to those times, the common people, including women, should be topless, as they were back then.

Does that mean you feel 'above'the common people?

Just askin'

9 hours ago, overherebc said:

I don't quite understand what you guys find funny about it.

A good time ago, I admit, if I was back in Scotland at New Year or on Burns night a few of us would wear kilts/full thing, shirt, jacket etc. Nobody laughed if 6 or 7 of us walked in a pub. The one thing that did upset some tourists was when their wives girlfriends wanted photographs taken with us.

If my old RSM walked in a bar in full highland dress kit I would love to see someone laugh or take the piss.

Often wondererd what the English do for a national costume??????

unnamed (3).jpg

Arrrr.   The answer lays in the soil .......

22 hours ago, overherebc said:

Won't argue with you mate. ?

Have to say if me and she are in BKK at the mother-in-laws place at Songkran the older in-laws on the female side on one day do get all 'the silk stuff' on and it does add to the day.

No-one is chucking water about but it's actually a nice day.

I'm not a political animal, I just put politicians worldwide in the same bag.

Doesnt all the silk stuff come out for loi kratong? I thought proper song kran was just a family day no need for dress up.

A post containing a disallowed reference to the PM has been removed as well as the replies. 

Off topic posts and replies about Scotland and kilts have been removed. 

An inflammatory post has been removed, the replies were removed as well. 

On 06/04/2018 at 11:49 AM, puipuitom said:

What's wrong with being pround on national costumers? Look in the Arab world, in Western Africa, or.. Volendam in Netherlands, so many tourists visit.

Volendammer dracht.jpg

So this is how the politicians and police chiefs dress while on duty and at functions ??