Confusion about visa and return/onward ticket

Hi guys!

To continue the puzzle, take a look to that! I'll give news about Thai Airways future answer!:-)

I sent a first email to ask them about the rules to have a Return Ticket or Forward ticket to enter Thailand even if I have a Visa in my Passport!

Here's the story!

Froggy

ANSWER FROM THAI AIRWAYS:

GR/GR-S/143478-TS-ts 14th May, 2004

Dear Froggy,

Thank you for your e-mail written inquiring about the requirement of a ticket back to Canada.

We would like to explain that, according to the regulations of the Immigration Authority of Thailand, the carriers are required to check whether passengers have tickets out of Thailand or going back home at the time of check-in for the flight. In the circumstances, passengers cannot have one way tickets to Thailand only but, at least, passengers will be requested to present the tickets how to go back home. We regret if this seems inconvenient, however, this is in line with the regulations which we are required to follow. We do appreciate your writing.

We look forward to welcoming you on board THAI Airways International's Royal Orchid Service. Meanwhile, we send you our best wishes.

Yours sincerely,

**I KEEP IN PRIVACY HER NAME!**

Customer Relations Officer

MY REPLY:

Date: Fri, 14 May 2004 08:18:24 -0400 (EDT)

Subject: Re: onward ticket(Consulate message)

To: "PRIVATE NAME" <[email protected]>

Dear Thai Airways officer,

I would like to thank You for the informations about the return or forward required ticket to enter Thailand.

In your message, it is mentionned that it's the regulations of the Immigration of Thailand!

I've got an answer from the Consulate of Thailand who's saying completly the opposite!

Is it possible to explain where this regulation come from?

I included the message I've received from the Consulate of Thailand!

Yours Sincerely,

Froggy

Trajai Sriudommongkol <[email protected]> wrote:

MY QUESTION TO THAI CONSULATE:

Ouvert : mardi & jeudi, de 10h à midi

Opened : Tuesday & Thursday, 10AM to 12PM

----- Original Message -----

To: <[email protected]>

Sent: May 9, 2004 1:29 PM

Subject: return ticket information

> Dear Officer of the General Thailand Consulate,

>

> I'm sending this email to obtain an information about the requirement

of a

airplane return ticket to enter the Kingdom of Thailand.

>

> In few months, I'm gonna go in Thailand with a Tourist Visa Double

Entries

to visit my girlfriend and prepare our Marriage. In the last month,

we're

gonna get Married and I will apply for a Non-Immigrant Visa type O.

>

> The question is if I need a return ticket to enter Thailand if I have

a

Tourist Visa stamped in my passport before I leave Canada?

>

> I'm gonna use Air Canada and Thai Airways for this trip!

>

> I've tried to find a way to get a return ticket valid for more than a

year

in case that I obtain the Non-immigrant visa type O but the validity of

airplane tickets with Air Canada is for One Year!

>

> Thanks You for Your Help!

THAI CONSULATE ANSWER:

"Consulat Royal de Thailande" <[email protected]> Add to Address Book

To: "Froggy>

Subject: Re: return ticket information

Date: Thu, 13 May 2004 10:44:38 -0400

Dear Sir,

As long as you have a Thailand visa in your passport (and as long as

you

have a Canadian passport - or some other citizenship for which the same

rule

applies), you do not need a return ticket to go to Thailand.

Best luck with your plans,

PRIVATE NAME

CONSULAT GÉNÉRAL ROYAL DE THAÏLANDE À MONTRÉAL

ROYAL THAI CONSULATE GENERAL IN MONTRÉAL

1501, avenue McGill College

Bureau 2240

Montréal (Québec) H3A 3M8

Tél.: (514) 878-4466

Froggy, I made it here with a one way ticket from Montreal. The Thai consulate in Ottawa assured me there was no problem with a one way ticket. Non-imm B visa, also had letter from potential employer.

Bonne chance!

Alain

With all this confusion and all the different answers from Thai Airways, I'm gonna continue this puzzle and will seriously contact the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Thailand!

They're saying that it's a regulation of the Immigration Department of Thailand that they have to follow, so how can it be possible that Consulates and Embassies of Thailand in Canada don't know about it?

I think that Consulates and Embassies are part of Immigration Department no?

If I'm trying to know exactly what's and where this regulation come from is to help other travellers who already paid their Visas and that Consulate and Embassies are saying that it's ok to enter Thailand with a oOne Way ticket!

I contacted the Vancouver Conculate of Thailand, Ottawa Embassy of Thailand, Montreal Embassy of Thailand and it's all the same answer! No problem with One way ticket if You have a Visa in Your passport!

So I will continue this puzzle to find the clue because there's a MAJOR misunderstanding between Consulates and Embassies of Thailand with Thai Airways!

I was working for a major newspaper in Montreal for few years and this subject is very interesting for sure!

Can it be a good subject for Bangkok post and The Nation? :o

More results soon!

Froggy

The return ticket (or outgoing ticket) is a requirement for the visa-free permit to enter for 30 days (and it looks like your letter from Thai airways is simply the standard letter for those circumstances. - i.e. their letter doesn't mention that you have a visa).

However, if you haven't got a return/outbound ticket, for instance if you're intending to travel overland out of the country, then you require a visa, even if you're staying less than 30 days. (although if you're dressed reasonably, i.e. jeans that aren't ripped, no piercings, etc. most immigration officers don't ask).

But any visa, including a Tourist Visa, allows entry without a return ticket.

Those were the rules as I understand them from information at the British embassy in London.

Personally, when travelling, I buy my return tickets to the UK from Thai Airways in Bangkok. Simply because they're changeable tickets if bought at this end, so I haven't flown into Bangkok with an outbound or return ticket on more than 20 flights into Bangkok in the last 3 years.

If you've already got the ticket, and you're worried about check-in, just tell them you've got a visa because you're travelling overland to Singapore. :o

Alternatively - if Thai won't sell you a one-way ticket - fly with someone else...

I had a one way ticket to BKK from Manchester England. When I checked in they pointed out that I didn't have a Visa, and needed a return or onward ticket before they would allow me to board

This was all I needed because the plane was due to leave in less than an hour (i checked in late)

The reason given is that they never usually check upon arrival in BKK, but if they did, the Airline company could be fined 10,000GBP.

So I had to run accross the lobby to a travel agents, and managed to buy a refundable onward ticket to Hanoi in Vietnam. I later got it refunded no worries.

I think the airlines cover their &lt;deleted&gt; on this one, but if you have a valid visa, you should have no problem.

Hope it helps.

Hi Guys!

I just wanna clarify about my topic!

When I sent the email to Thai Airways, I mentionned that I will have in my Passport a Visa and it change nothing!

I called them and it was the same answer! Even if I have a visa, I need a return or onward ticket!

Hi Guys!

I just wanna clarify about my topic!

When I sent the email to Thai Airways, I mentionned that I will have in my Passport a Visa and it change nothing!

I called them and it was the same answer! Even if I have a visa, I need a return or onward ticket!

Phone 'em and cancel your flight. With a tourist visa ( not a 30 day permit on arrival ) you do not require an outbound ticker. Email the Thai Ministry of Foreign Affairs, or get a letter from that Consulate.

Thanks for Your suggestion Dr. Pat Pong!

I never been confused like that in my Life and beleive Me, to see that an Airline company require me an onward or return ticket during the time that Embassies and Consulate of Thailand in Canada saying completly the opposite if I have a Tourist Visa stamped in my passport just confirm me that never I'm gonna use this Airline company in the future!

They lost a customer for sure!

I don't understand how a Consulate or Embassy can't be advise if there's a regulation between the Airline and Immigration department to require a onward or return ticket even if I have a Visa!

Anyways, like I said, I'm seriously looking to have written confirmations from Consulates and Embassies because there's something realy unfair here!

Thanks again!

Froggy

Thanks for Your suggestion Dr. Pat Pong!

I never been confused like that in my Life and beleive Me, to see that an Airline company require me an onward or return ticket during the time that Embassies and Consulate of Thailand in Canada saying completly the opposite if I have a Tourist Visa stamped in my passport just confirm me that never I'm gonna use this Airline company in the future!

They lost a customer for sure!

I don't understand how a Consulate or Embassy can't be advise if there's a regulation between the Airline and Immigration department to require a onward or return ticket even if I have a Visa!

Anyways, like I said, I'm seriously looking to have written confirmations from Consulates and Embassies because there's something realy unfair here!

Thanks again!

Froggy

Surely the airline will accept a letter on letterhead from the RTCG in Montreal Froggy.

You Dr. Pat Pong,

I realy don't care to buy an onward ticket but beleive me, if it's only some pressure to buy them some tickets, I'll at their office with all the Consulate, Embassies, Thai Airways documents to know what's the problem!

I'm going in Thailand to get Married so I realy don't appreciate that a confusion like that happen during the time I have some confirmations from the Consulate and Embassy of Thailand in Canada that I don't need a onward or return ticket!

How can Thai Airways mentionned that it's a regulation with the immigration if the Consulates and Embassies don't know about it?

3 on 4 persons of Thai Airways custumer service mentioned that I need a ticket and One said no and where we've got these informations! AT THE SAME PHONE NUMBER!:-)

Froggy

One would think Thai airways of all airlines would be more on the ball, or did you forget to mention your Thai 'elite card'?

Seriously, some airline staff are unbelievably misinformed. I had a similar argument with the notorious Air France, they insisted I'd need a visa and return ticket, onward ticket not sufficient, since in neighbouring Asian countries the same rules apply, so the circle closes.

Surely Thai consulates and immigration know better than some ignorant, snotnosed ###### airline staff who are sitting their &lt;deleted&gt; flat in the office, waiting for the next month salary to hit their bank accounts.

Dr. Pat Pong!

I'm gonna contact the Embassy and Consulate to have this letter mentionning that with a Visa I can get in Thailand without a return or onward ticket!

Do You think that even if I have this letter that Thai Airways can still require the return or onward ticket?

Do You seriously beleive that there's a regulations between Thai Airways and Immigration Division to require the return or onward ticket?

I'm gonna contact Thai Airways again by email to ask again the question!

I just wish that this time, they will reply and let my original message in their reply!

Because if they're doing that way, I will probably buy the onward ticket anyways but when I'll be in Thailand, I'm gonna go to their office and gonna ask serious explanations!

I will show them that they forced me to buy a ticket and show then with the Thai Embassy or consulate letter that I was not needed this ticket!

Anyways, I'll give news soon!

Froggy

Hi!

I was wishing to mention that Embassy and Consulates are not authorized to make a letter to confirm that with a Visa it's ok to enter Thailand without a return or onward ticket!

By emails and by phone, the Embassy and Consulates confirm with me that I'll be ok to enter the Kingdom without the return or onward ticket that Thai Airways require!

To don't take the chance of inconvenients with Thai Airways, I'm gonna change my flight ticket to don't use Thai Airways!

After few emails and replies with the customer services of Thai Airways, the officer of the customer services sent me an email with a Virus Attachment! :o

The title was Naked Froggy! :D

I think they never saw in real a Naked Frog! :D

Lucky me, I'm using a Macintosh so no problem for this kind of joke! :D

A lot of process are in preparation with the Consulates and Embassy to clarify this situation and to understand the unproffessional person from Thai Airways who sent this email because she was frustrated to know that I'll be using another airline!

The only thing I can say is that it's unbeleivable from a major airline company to have some stupid persons like that and use the Thai Airways mailbox to do this kind of joke!

To be continued!

Froggy

To continue..........

The Royal Thai Embassy and both Thailand Consulate in Canada told me to don't worry about what Thai Airways said!

They all said that if I have a Visa I can enter Thailand with a one way ticket!

After few days to relax, I too a look at the Thailand Embassy website in Los Angeles!

In this site, there's a page that they're talking about the Canadian requirements to enter Thailand! There was the Return or onward ticket requirement!:-)

So I contacted again the Consulate in Montreal and told them about it!

They answered again to don't worry and to listen what the Consualtes and Embassy in Canada is saying!:-)

So what's the best way to be sure to don't have troubles?

Take the chance or buy a stupid ticket?

Froggy

In this site, there's a page that they're talking about the Canadian requirements to enter Thailand! There was the Return or onward ticket requirement!:-)

That is because it is a third country (not the country of your passport) and thus a requirement for the Consulate to issue a tourist visa. Anyone who is not traveling on a US Passport who requests a visa there will be asked to show a return ticket to obtain the visa. This is to "obtain the visa" only. Nothing to do with travel. Take is easy. :o

Hangloose mongoose!!!! don't get all upset about this,you're just experiencing some things that has happened to most of us.Just do wht you have and come here and enjoy life, as it comes of course!!!

Let us know if you made it safely ok!! travelwith God'speed and HANGLOOSE!!

I had a similar argument with the notorious Air France, they insisted I'd need a visa and return ticket, onward ticket not sufficient, since in neighbouring Asian countries the same rules apply, so the circle closes.

Excatly 15 years ago, I bought a one way ticket to Thailand with Air France. However, about 12 years ago, they refused to sell me one pretexting it was Air France's new policies. I bought one in another company. :o

I think it depends on the employee.

Don't worry Froggy, I've always (exept once) come to Thailand with one way ticket. Once in LOS you're almost sure to get a plane when you want to where you want.

The only time I took a return ticket, I faced little problems because I wanted to go back a week before the return date.

The only condition is exactly as Georges said, you need to get a visa.

By way, the infected naked froggy is pretty amazing ! You shoud fill an official complaint to the authorities and ask to Thai Airway for a financial compensation. This will help the entire community preventing the a**hole who did it to do it again.

Hi Guys!

To continue the situation of the Return or Onward ticket required by Thai Airways, I would like to know if I use and print all the emails from the Consulates of Thailand in Canada and the Royal Thai Embassy in Ottawa confirming to Thai Airways in Hong Kong that if I have a Visa I can enter Thailand with a One way ticket, is it a safe way to don't have the surprise to buy a stupid ticket that I don't need and risk to loose?

If I seriously need to buy a return or onward ticket, is it ok if the date for my onward ticket is fixed to give me a stay of 2 months in Thailand?

Ex. Landing in LOS on the 11 of June, use my onward ticket to Malaysia on the 11 of August.

Thanks for Your comments guys!

Froggy

Thanks again George!

I know that I don't need a return or onward ticket if I have a Visa but as I said previously, Thai Airways mentioned to Me few times that even if I have a Visa, I need a return or onward ticket!

I know that Consulates, Embassies are saying that I'll be ok, but Imagine if the staff of Thai Airways still require this return or onward ticket!

That's why I'm trying to be sure that I'll not be squeeze in Hong Kong!

It's my Fiancee's birthday so I realy don't wanna take the chance!

That's why I was asking if I have an onward ticket to go in Malaysia with a fixed date that will give me a stay of 2 months Los will be ok!

I'm living a serious confusion about all this situation because some are saying that they lived the experience of the requirement of a return or onward ticket with Thai Airways even if they was having a Visa!

You know, when You're not at the final destination, the Airline can nearly do what they want and require what they want! That's my opinion after all this confusion and all the comments from Thai Airways!

Thanks again!

Froggy