Thailand ranked world’s ‘least miserable’ country again

rooster59

5 hours ago, utalkin2me said:

Walking into the average shop here it certainly makes sense unemployment being low. I’ve never seen that many employees at any business worldwide. Seriously, walk into a home pro there must be 3 Thai employees for every aisle. 

About fifteen years ago my wife and I were in a famous department store in Chitlom BKK and went to the ladies shoe department (sigh!) Whilst wife was browsing I counted no fewer than 25 assistants for that one area. Maybe it was a shift change but I don't think so. These employees must be bored out of their skulls. Some bosses clearly ban mobile phones on the work scene and there must be severe withdrawal symptoms by the end of the day!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, PETERTHEEATER said:

These employees must be bored out of their skulls. Some bosses clearly ban mobile phones on the work scene and there must be severe withdrawal symptoms by the end of the day!

Some bosses. I just wish it was all bosses.

The number of times I've seen staff playing with their phones and not paying one iota of attention to their job or the customers.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, utalkin2me said:

Walking into the average shop here it certainly makes sense unemployment being low. I’ve never seen that many employees at any business worldwide. Seriously, walk into a home pro there must be 3 Thai employees for every aisle. 

I was in Uniqlo yesterday and I couldn't walk round the shop due to the staff being in the way. I was also asked by three different helpers if I wanted a basket. One even tried to force one in my hands. On top of the promotions blasting through the speakers and the fact that I already had a basket (next to me on the floor) I found it all a bit overwhelming. Not an enjoyable experience at all.

• Like 1

I agree you can’t put a measure on happiness.

But, I believe how happy or miserable people are highly relates to how much in taxes they are paying. We are so used to it we almost forget that we work 25% of the year for nothing. Much of the population here pays 0 in taxes. 

In short, I think they are onto something with this article, but maybe reached the correct conclusion in the wrong way. 

Edited by utalkin2me

4 minutes ago, sawadee1947 said:

What a stupid report.....! 

Why there is a low unemployment rate???? 

Because there is NO social security net at all. 

No work = no income 

There is no reason to be proud of anything in Thailand 

You must have a TVF  "get out of jail free card".     :post-4641-1156694572:

6 hours ago, cornishcarlos said:

Why are they trotting this story out again ??? Are they getting that desperate to pretend everyone is happy ??

February this year...

https://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/1025684-pm-prayut-acknowledges-report-of-thailand-being-world’s-happiest-economy/?tab=comments#comment-12725115

Why?.... lol... maybe as a foil to the other main headliner story, which gave you problems with your breakfast.

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, bluesofa said:

Which brings up the question - How many Somchais does it take to change a light bulb here?

None safely, but 3 of them can write you a short paper on 'coping with darkness' as they fill up your car, clean the bugs off your screen and take your money !

On 4/6/2018 at 5:20 PM, Lungstib said:

25 field labourers, standing in the back of a pick-up in the morning rain, that just passed my house on the way to 250b a day work may not agree. 

Someone needs to take a look at just how those unemployed numbers were calculated. I think 1 hour a weeks work on your home 'farm' is considered employment. It's absurd.

cant find workers on the land here at all doesnt  matter what you pay them, turn up do a  few  days and leave............if we're lucky.

• Like 1

Majority of the population live outside of Bangkok, I remember sitting on the bus with a retired government official during the big flood a few years back who once lived in New York.

At one of the bus stops he told me look out the window and what do I see?  I said people and he reply look at the faces?  see Thai people today look like Americans after each day at work " sad and worry expression "  today Thai people here in Bangkok no Land of Smile anymore? 

Edited by thailand49

1 hour ago, thailand49 said:

Majority of the population live outside of Bangkok, I remember sitting on the bus with a retired government official during the big flood a few years back who once lived in New York.

At one of the bus stops he told me look out the window and what do I see?  I said people and he reply look at the faces?  see Thai people today look like Americans after each day at work " sad and worry expression "  today Thai people here in Bangkok no Land of Smile anymore? 

I agree with that. I don't see happy people in bkk which I understand because sitting around doing nothing (working) all day for $500 a month would not lead me to be happy under any circumstance.

Seems like a lot of anger and envy in the comments. Thais look at the world and their lives differently than we Westerners do. Food is obviously very important to them. It's not all great and they don't need nearly as much, but it's definitely one of the reasons people feel generally good here. Hey, go ahead and say it: they don't really feel so great! But they do, based on how they see things. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, strewth mick said:

I agree with that. I don't see happy people in bkk which I understand because sitting around doing nothing (working) all day for $500 a month would not lead me to be happy under any circumstance.

I understand your point, but it is all relative to the country what the wages are?  My point is regardless of what they make, people get caught up in trying to keep up with the Jones, living beyond their means, striving to have what others have to the point it makes them miserable. End of the day sure it just might be they are tired but I know there was a time I stood at the bus stop thinking so many bills to pay?

Edited by thailand49
  • Like 1

35 minutes ago, thailand49 said:

I understand your point, but it is all relative to the country what the wages are?  My point is regardless of what they make, people get caught up in trying to keep up with the Jones, living beyond their means, striving to have what others have to the point it makes them miserable. End of the day sure it just might be they are tired but I know there was a time I stood at the bus stop thinking so many bills to pay?

I find this all very difficult to get my head around. I agree with you that its about just being happy with what you have but on the other hand if people are really bored in their day to day lives then I encourage them to do something about it. Living in Thailand has helped me understand how low education standards can suppress people......if they don't know what's out there to be experienced or learnt they won't have the desire to do so. Also, mass adoption of the mobile phone and facebook has helped people to get through the day to day boredom which I see as further suppression.

Having said all of that I don't see Westerners as being happier. Most people I know are stuck in a similar system of going to a fairly unstimulating day job and they have been doing it for decades.

5 hours ago, strewth mick said:

I find this all very difficult to get my head around. I agree with you that its about just being happy with what you have but on the other hand if people are really bored in their day to day lives then I encourage them to do something about it. Living in Thailand has helped me understand how low education standards can suppress people......if they don't know what's out there to be experienced or learnt they won't have the desire to do so. Also, mass adoption of the mobile phone and facebook has helped people to get through the day to day boredom which I see as further suppression.

Having said all of that I don't see Westerners as being happier. Most people I know are stuck in a similar system of going to a fairly unstimulating day job and they have been doing it for decades.

Maybe I'm not writing it right? I said nothing about being bored?

When you refer to FB and stuff living here it might be making things worse watching others brag about what they have? It is crazy Thai will post picture of people who just got into a accident laying in bed all bang up. Then it is bragging about their boob job, nose job etc.. it might be helpful with the boredom of their jobs but also might make people depress. I also didn't say Westerners are happier either. Since you mentioned that is the point the old Thai guy is making?  Now with access to the Internet etc.. they see what the West think and have so they want the same borrowing all they earn to have it is what making Thai look so unhappy end of the day at the bus stops. Sure you can play on the IPhone, Samsung 10 but you still got to pay for it!  Credit is a curse a disease make people unhappy especially when you can't really afford it?

Edited by thailand49
  • Like 1