Heartbreak for family of Australian man seriously injured in hit and run on Koh Samui

rooster59

16 minutes ago, sanemax said:

As his condition deteriorated after his long flight back to Australia , it may have been better to keep him in hospital in Thailand .

Thailand has world class hospitals, but, the expense would have to be taken into consideration

You don't have to be a doctor to understand how little his chances were from the beginning. He's died three times before and all the injuries are catastrophic, I've got no idea how a doctor can give green light to airlift him?  But money seems to be the problem. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, sanemax said:

As his condition deteriorated after his long flight back to Australia , it may have been better to keep him in hospital in Thailand .

Thailand has world class hospitals, but, the expense would have to be taken into consideration

Thai hospitals are businesses and when it comes to billing foreigners they are very good at it, I don't trust any of them 

as for this young mans choices, it seems he decided to do something he would likely never do at home, took control of a vehicle while drunk

it is why we have enforced laws back home - to deter generally stupid irresponsible people from making poor choices

• Like 1

Just now, smedly said:

Thai hospitals are businesses and when it comes to billing foreigners they are very good at it, I don't trust any of them 

as for this young mans choices, it seems he decided to do something he would likely never do at home, took control of a vehicle while drunk

it is why we have enforced laws back home - to deter generally stupid irresponsible people from making poor choices

There's never an article that he was drunk. If these hospitals wouldn't have the best available machines and technique, they couldn't do such a good job. Look at a government hospital, where patients have to stay with 15 others in the same room with 2.5 doctors for 150 patients and a private hospital with a private room, usually better medicine, better-qualified doctors, etc... 

• Confused 3

5 minutes ago, possum1931 said:

By law (I know this is Thailand) rental companies should have to make sure anyone who hires their bikes has the appropiate  license, and their bikes should have insurance, what is so hard about that? But as I said "This is Thailand".

There were so many strange accidents with GFM pages that I really lost track of who is who. Let's just hope that people will learn from these peoples' mistakes.  

Edited by jenny2017
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, possum1931 said:

By law (I know this is Thailand) rental companies should have to make sure anyone who hires their bikes has the appropiate  license, and their bikes should have insurance, what is so hard about that? But as I said "This is Thailand".

I would go further than that , there should be a special driving licence for felangs in Thailand .

Before being able to hire a motor vehicle , you should have to take a week long course learning about driving in Thailand , learning about how others drive , pot holes in dark roads , stray animals on roads etc

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, darksidedog said:

Most also don't have the first clue how to ride a bike, or any awareness that they are on roads full of reckless, speeding idiots, who have almost total disregard for the laws or other motorists. While this is common knowledge here, for first time visitors, it is not. It is a recipe for disaster, that regularly ends up just like this sad case.

Sad but true... very true.

Paradise it is not, especially on the roads.

Just now, sanemax said:

I would go further than that , there should be a special driving licence for felangs in Thailand .

Before being able to hire a motor vehicle , you should have to take a week long course learning about driving in Thailand , learning about how others drive , pot holes in dark roads , stray animals on roads etc

Especially for those who usually drive in the right lane. I drove my brother's car on a holiday in Germany eight years ago, and almost took a roundabout from the left. It was only good luck that it was one of his cars from his driver's school with brakes on his side. 

4 minutes ago, FritsSikkink said:

FAKE news, no hit and run, declared in an earlier article.

Although the heading is incorrect , I dont feel that this can regarded as "fake news" because they did initially think that this was a hit & run , but it was only later that they found out that it was nt .

The heading is an incorrect mistake, rather than deliberate fake news

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, sanemax said:

Although the heading is incorrect , I dont feel that this can regarded as "fake news" because they did initially think that this was a hit & run , but it was only later that they found out that it was nt .

The heading is an incorrect mistake, rather than deliberate fake news

If you repost the article with a knowingly misleading header, you are spreading fake news. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, smedly said:

sad story indeed

but how are his family or anyone else responsible for "his" medical bills

Who else would have to pay for an uninsured individual's hospital bills? 

Got a feeling that as he and the family are not in Thailand the bills may not get paid although it is unusual that he would be allowed to leave the hospital without some kind of guarantee of payment if the unpaid bills are a large as the article claims.

2 minutes ago, FritsSikkink said:

If you repost the article with a knowingly misleading header, you are spreading fake news. 

Although this is a new article about his current condition .

I do believe that the heading mistake was a genuine error, rather than a deliberate  attempt to spread fake news

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, sanemax said:

"there should be a special driving licence for felangs in Thailand" .

I thought there was, I have one. But good point, only what you say would put all the vehicle hirers out of business.

Then again, there maybe will be one or two left who would be legitimate, Oh wait! Brown envelopes spring to mind again.

15 minutes ago, jenny2017 said:

There's never an article that he was drunk. 

there may not have been but that doesn't mean he wasn't, on holiday - 4am in the morning and has a serious accident - I'll take any bets on that one, sorry but that is how it looks to me

• Like 1

Just now, smedly said:

there may not have been but that doesn't mean he wasn't, on holiday - 4am in the morning and has a serious accident - I'll take any bets on that one, sorry but that is how it looks to me

There's a very high possibility that he was. But it doesn't really matter because he didn't injure anybody else. 

• Confused 1

28 minutes ago, jenny2017 said:

You don't have to be a doctor to understand how little his chances were from the beginning. He's died three times before and all the injuries are catastrophic, I've got no idea how a doctor can give green light to airlift him?  But money seems to be the problem. 

It doesn't matter whether a doctor gives him the green light to leave when a private flight is involved.   From the medical point of view the family can insist on his being released from hospital and taken elsewhere if that's what they want.

5 minutes ago, possum1931 said:

"there should be a special driving licence for felangs in Thailand" .

I thought there was, I have one. But good point, only what you say would put all the vehicle hirers out of business.

I wasnt talking about whatever licence you have .

Foreigners shouldnt be allowed to drive any vehicle in Thailand until they have learnt about the road conditions in Thailand .

This wouldnt be a test to see whether you know how to drive vehicles , it would be informing you of how others drive and the local road conditions .

An International driving license teaches you to stop at red lights .

A felang  Thai licence should teach you that most drivers ignore red lights

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, darksidedog said:

Very sad news. I had hoped given the money people generously donated that the care he was getting would help him recover.

The roads here are seriously dangerous for the unwary and inexperienced, so it really is time that bikes can only be rented to people with valid licenses. I know the profit made will stop this happening, but in a country full of Buddhist ideals, life really should be more valuable than money.

Very sad for the family, maybe a blessing in disguise.

"life really should be more valuable than money." Yes, but money is KING in this feudal society. 

Edited by lvr181
Grammar correction

48 minutes ago, possum1931 said:

From Australia?

Documents can be signed and verified online, Electronic signatures are acceptable as proof in a court of Law, so all the Hospital had to do is send the Docs via a PDF for example online and that would be sufficient, also Fedex the Docs to Australia Express service, 2/3 day turnaround.