Police seek cause of accident that killed actress Natnicha in Ayutthaya

webfact

Police seek cause of accident that killed actress Natnicha on Saturday

By The Nation

c056224193cebf6b6a36b046a9402505-sld.jpe

Police are trying to determine the cause of a fatal car accident that killed a 21-year-old actress in Ayutthaya province on Saturday.

Natnicha Cherdchubupphakaree, who made her acting debut at a very young age, was killed after her BMW sedan slid off a road and crashed into a big tree. 

“There’s no trace of braking on the road surface,” Ayutthaya’s deputy police chief Pol Colonel Sa-nga Thirasaranyanont said as he inspected the scene on Sunday.

He said police did not find Natnicha’s cellphone at the scene either. 

“We will try to find it and all related evidence,” he said. 

No witness has come forward and it remains unclear whether anyone saw the accident. 

A source at BMW Thailand said it would assign its engineer to examine Natnicha’s sedan. An airbag to the side of the driver’s seat opened, but the front airbag did not. 

Natnicha’s mother Ladda Uttawa, meanwhile, picked up the body of her daughter from Thammasat Hospital. 

She was accompanied by relatives and Natnicha’s friends. 

The body will be transferred to Ratchasingkorn Temple in Bangkok’s Bang Kho Laem district for a three-day funeral service. 

The cremation will take place on April 11. 

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/breakingnews/30342754

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2018-04-09

1 hour ago, Aussieroaming said:

Regardless of her speed, lack of attention ect she paid the ultimate price for her actions. At 21 years old she is just a kid, RIP

No she is not a kid. At 21 she is a young woman who just happened to be driving a very powerful car and was possibly exceeding her limited experience of car driving. At night.

6 minutes ago, cardinalblue said:

Speeding and unable to handle the road...her reaction didn't including braking....sad

her phone is somewhere...unless if she swallowed it, it is probably thrown quite a distance from the accident...

Unless someone helped themselves to the phone after the accident, but before she was otherwise discovered......

"He said police did not find Natnicha’s cellphone at the scene either."

Did they check her purse?(Ref. reply/video of rescue crew removing personal items from the vehicle):

In_actress_purse.jpeg.2fcd90eec857a3d12cefb5e5043369aa.jpeg

One of the rescue works also pulled out from the wreck what could have been a cellphone or a 1000 baht note prior to removing the purse (above video link). There was an RTP officer standing next to them as they removed the items.

Would anyone be surprised if cellphone use was a contributing factor?

With the condition of the wreck, I'd say the cellphone could be anywhere in the vicinity of the accident scene or picked-up by a souvenir hunter.

Edited by MaxYakov
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, ratcatcher said:

RIP to the young lady who died in this crash.

561000003609602.JPEG

"the car was speeding"......................no, the driver was driving very fast for the road conditions.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NJu4VmUR4Bg

odd choice of photos i the video, not least the pictures of a destroyed white toyota when no other car was involved.

39 minutes ago, HiSoLowSoNoSo said:

The car she used (BMW X1) got a 5 star safety ratings ( https://cars.usnews.com/cars-trucks/bmw/x1/safety ) If she was not speeding and driving in 90 km/h she should have survived even a side impact with the tree.

And yet the front airbag didn't deploy. For all the safety ratings, that shouldn't happen.

Not that it would have done much looking at the damage to the car.

7 minutes ago, Father Fintan Stack said:

Probably had an accident previously and was not repaired correctly. 

Good call.

Not sure if BMW require a BMW engineer to replace and reset these airbags.

1 hour ago, HiSoLowSoNoSo said:

The car she used (BMW X1) got a 5 star safety ratings ( https://cars.usnews.com/cars-trucks/bmw/x1/safety ) If she was not speeding and driving in 90 km/h she should have survived even a side impact with the tree.

It got only a "Good" rating across-the-board for all impacts from the IIHS (Insurance Institute for Highway Safety) at that site and a five-star rating for side impact (four stars for frontal and rollover) from the NHTSA. Maybe if she had been wearing a DOT-rated helmet judging from the condition of the vehicle (or all airbags had fired and had time and position to be effective) she would have had more of a chance.

PS: I've always felt that (logically) relatively high-speed (> 30/40 kph) all MV operators/passengers should wear helmets airbags notwithstanding. For the same reason they wear seat belts, if you have to ask. Of course, that won't fly with the public or law enforcement even though I hypothesize it would save lives.

Edited by MaxYakov

I spent eight years as an accident investigator, and this collision bears the hallmarks of a drowsy/inattentive driver.  Sadly, it is a common occurrence  on rural roads, although I cannot eliminate other possible scenarios such as swerving to avoid a dog or oncoming truck.

A vehicle travelling at say 100 kilometres per hour is doing 28 metres per second.   A micro lapse of concentration and the car can stray off the road into a tree.   In my experience, very rarely is there any evidence of skid marks leading up to the point of impact in these types of prangs.   (scuff marks yes, skid marks no.)  Just not enough time to re-focus and react.

50 minutes ago, Radar501 said:

I spent eight years as an accident investigator, and this collision bears the hallmarks of a drowsy/inattentive driver.  Sadly, it is a common occurrence  on rural roads, although I cannot eliminate other possible scenarios such as swerving to avoid a dog or oncoming truck.

A vehicle travelling at say 100 kilometres per hour is doing 28 metres per second.   A micro lapse of concentration and the car can stray off the road into a tree.   In my experience, very rarely is there any evidence of skid marks leading up to the point of impact in these types of prangs.   (scuff marks yes, skid marks no.)  Just not enough time to re-focus and react.

If you look at this video at 0:08-0:09 it appears to be a rather good (for Thailand) two-lane each way divided road even with a substantial guardrail, which her car managed to just miss. Also her trajectory appeared to be in the direction of traffic, but reversed in order to hit the tree on the driver's side (indicating that she had spun at least 180 degrees or so before hitting the tree) and hard enough to knock the trunk lid completely off the vehicle.

The video also shows the vehicle's tracks in the grass just missing the guardrail, but since there was a steep downslope so the car continued ballistically hitting the tree well above ground level and then proceeded down-slope beyond the tree. My gut-hypothesis is abrupt braking or hydroplaning on a wet/slippery surface (to spin the vehicle and cause loss of control at high-speed).

Edited by MaxYakov

The car first hit a wall with metal barier , then plunged a few meters down , and hit the 

tree...... If they check her selfies in het phone ,they will know what she was doing on that moment ....

btw. the pictures of the little girl and the older lady are from 2 different persons .....check the nose , the bigger eyes....completely diff.