ABS for bikes, it took a while....

AllanB

5 hours ago, eisfeld said:

The reason why I'm doubting that it's real cornering ABS is that the new CB1000R doesn't have any IMU whatsoever.

Good I like info feel from the tyres so I know what's going on. :laugh:

1 hour ago, bobbin said:

So Honda has dreamed up their own definition of IMU-linked braking? Possible yes. Likely no..

Widen your search parameters to "IMU-linked braking" not the Honda articles..

Nobody is claiming that. All I'm saying is that without proper information of what the IMU is capable of, we wont know what the Honda system is actually providing. Clearly the unit that Honda is using there is not the most expensive. It's a cheap and limited unit, hence used in their cheap bikes and not the bigger ones. It's doing *something* but what exactly and how good? I have no idea, we would need to see some specs.

But it's also clearly a step forward. Before, these bikes had no IMU whatsoever. It's showing the progress in ABS systems and soon it seems all the cheap bikes will have proper IMUs with proper cornering ABS. That's a great thing!

On 11/04/2018 at 1:23 AM, guzzi850m2 said:

ABS saved me a couple of times on my Versys but okay I am only an average rider so for me it's beneficial.
Never felt I needed it on my PCX but it mostly used for city duty.

Sent from my SM-C710F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Would you have taken the chance in the first place without ABS? Maybe you take more chances when you know technology will come to your rescue?

"ABS can save your ass in a corner too."

That is a foolhardy assumption, hitting sand or gravel on a bend, what is ABS going to do for you? 

But if you guys are happy to ride on the edge, go for it, I have ABS on my 4 wheeled vehicles, but I forget about it when I drive and never think it will save me.

35 minutes ago, AllanB said:

Would you have taken the chance in the first place without ABS? Maybe you take more chances when you know technology will come to your rescue?

"ABS can save your ass in a corner too."

That is a foolhardy assumption, hitting sand or gravel on a bend, what is ABS going to do for you? 

But if you guys are happy to ride on the edge, go for it, I have ABS on my 4 wheeled vehicles, but I forget about it when I drive and never think it will save me.

Allan, any time you go for a ride, you are taking chances. Guzzi didn't say he took the bike to the limits. He simply rode his bike and ran into situations where ABS probably prevented some accident. Nobody sane would think that ABS is a bulletproof safety net that will rescue you if you do stupid stuff. Hence nobody should take more chances knowing that there's a chance that ABS will save him because it might as well not. It's just there to increase the chances of a better outcome of an unfortunate situation.

And please read the text you quoted from me again, I said it can save your ass. Not that it will save your ass. There are situations where it will help. There are situations where it can't help and there are situations where it is harmful. For example offroad, a locked up rear can result in a lower braking distance as well as more control than a tire that keeps on spinning due to ABS intervening. About the specific scenario with sand/gravel in a bend: yes, ABS can actually be helpful in this case, preventing a lowside. It wont in 100% of cases but in some it will. And that's all there is to it.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, guzzi850m2 said:

Thanks eisfeld, you got it man, no I was talking it easy but some idiot in a lorry changed lane without looking and I was emergency braking and I missed him by centimetres. If no ABS, I would likely have locked the wheels and perhaps ended on my ass.

Sent from my SM-C710F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

I wasn't suggesting you rode on the ragged edge, just that you MAY have riden a little differently, knowing you had a safety system in place. It is certainly the case that I drive a lot differently to the way and speed that I ride bikes, knowing I am safer with a tonne+ of steel surrounding me, compare with a thin skid lid.

The same point is often made about modern cars, where the drivers give little regard for others like bikers, knowing they are safe, cocooned and strapped into the big safe cars.

On 4/12/2018 at 4:59 PM, bobbin said:

there are 6 azimuths measured by sensor in the most capable systems and only 5 azimuths measured by sensor in lesser systems with the 6th measurement provided by an algorithm..

algorithm ≠ a measurement