Dodging the draft

tpop

Details:

1. Thai male citizen living in New Zealand with NZ residency turns 21 this year but failed to turn up in Thailand for the draft due to stuff-up by his mother who is sick.
  2. The draft officer went to his parents business to initiate proceedings against him. He has a certain amount of time to appear.
  3. We are trying to decide what all courses of action might be. We have so far thought of the following:
    • He stays in NZ until he gets his NZ citizenship then only returns to Thailand on NZ passport until Thai 10 year statute of limitations expires.
    • He returns to Thailand to appear as directed - resulting in a choice of two options:
      • Immediate induction into 2 years of military service
      • Deferred induction of 1 year and then into 2 years of military service
  4. He has a 21 year old spouse and they have a 2 year old son - all living in NZ
  5. We have a deadline of something like 2 weeks to decide what he should do

We have ignored stupid ideas like dressing up as a tut-tut etc

I would like any useful comments

If you have no direct experience in this issue DO NOT COMMENT - we are quite capable of trolling through hundreds of pages of opinions by idiots - to be found all over the internet in both Thai and English - 99% of which were wrong, fluff, incredibly stupid... like wow there is so much complete drivel out there please oh please do not add drivel to this thread. It's great to have an opinion or ideas but if you are just as ignorant as we are then DON'T COMMENT. I might add that I am a very capable researcher with multiple degrees, many years experience in studying legislation, many years living in Thailand. There are 4 of us researching at this time.

Thanks

tpop

47 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

Moved to here.

With proof he is out of the country the problem can be resolved. 

He should contact the Thai embassy about it. He should of filed for an exemption for being outside the country when he turned 21.

do you know what form is used to file for such an exemption? Such things in Thailand always require a specific form.

have you got any links to support for your opinion? In Thai or English?

He hasn't turned 21, that's not how the conscription age works - it is defined as the year in which you turn 21. He turns 21 in late December.

I will suggest my wife discusses it with Thai embassy when she is in the capital on Friday but our past experience is that such exemptions are only granted if you are studying or in some way engaged in pursuits under Thai government authority.

20 hours ago, tpop said:

have you got any links to support for your opinion? In Thai or English?

Here on the Wellington embassy website. http://www.thaiembassy.org/wellington/th/services/2963/19055-การขอผ่อนผันการเกณฑ์ทหาร.html

It only mentions attending school but that is not really a requirement. Living abroad is enough. Some other embassy websites have more info.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Scouse123 said:

We have ignored stupid ideas like dressing up as a tut-tut etc

I would like any useful comments

If you have no direct experience in this issue DO NOT COMMENT - we are quite capable of trolling through hundreds of pages of opinions by idiots - to be found all over the internet in both Thai and English - 99% of which were wrong, fluff, incredibly stupid... like wow there is so much complete drivel out there please oh please do not add drivel to this thread. It's great to have an opinion or ideas but if you are just as ignorant as we are then DON'T COMMENT. I might add that I am a very capable researcher with multiple degrees, many years experience in studying legislation, many years living in Thailand. There are 4 of us researching at this time.

Thanks

tpop

It seems like with the total aggressiveness, bordering rude, of your post, you do not require any advice, you just wish to give the rest of us the knowledge that you have  ' multiple degrees ' and research.

You sound like some headmaster from the days of Goodbye Mr. Chips addressing his inferiors or minions or some kind of arrogant control freak.

Find out yourself as you are obviously way too smart for us here on TV or why not pay and consult a lawyer in Bangkok with knowledge of these matters?

Why didn't you think of that with all your intelligence and four of you working on it?

Agreed.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

Here on the Wellington embassy website. http://www.thaiembassy.org/wellington/th/services/2963/19055-การขอผ่อนผันการเกณฑ์ทหาร.html

It only mentions attending school but that is not really a requirement. Living abroad is enough. Some other embassy websites have more info.

thanks, we have that though but good help

5 hours ago, Falcon said:

Seems you have an attitude to anyone posting answers and comments to your questions already!!

but anyway, to answer your question, there’s little that can be done as you have left it very late. If he waits til he gets NZ citizenship and then comes over to Thailand, using. His NZ passport, he is still liable to arrest and to be detained and taken straight to the army barracks to serve time in the army jail and then will still need to serve out the time specified as national service (2 yrs), even if he renounced his thai citizenship. He is liable for conscription until he is 31yrs old.

It used to be a simple solution, as with most things in Thailand, that you could arrange an ‘exemption’ before the call up papers arrived, by simply paying 30,000 baht and a (usually) medical exclusion would be found as to why you couldn’t join up but, since the army took over in government, it’s got a lot harder to arrange.

his best bet now would be to go the embassy route and register with the Thai embassy in NZ as a resident of NZ and then just stay out of Thailand until he reaches 31 years old. No other alternatives this late in the game.

57 minutes ago, Acemaker said:

Shame on him for wanting to Dodge the Draft in the first place!      :stoner:

agreed. Not my idea. I had strongly advocated for going, volunteering for 1 year - he would have come out with some discipline and a better sense of perspective

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, lucjoker said:

how old is he ?......21 y ? .....and maried,plus baby ?.........

Well can he not stand on his own legs yet?

Why his"papa" has to do this work?

Time he takes care of himself and his family, not his father.

Or is his father a tiran ?

actually, no, he can't. And though i made my own way at 20 i'd not have had a clue how to deal with such things as this at that age. And i'm way brighter than you.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 2
  • Haha 2

I think another option is to join the New Zealand defence forces. As i understand it, if you have served with the forces of another country, you no longer need to do the Thai conscription. But i do not know exactly what the rules for that are (so research it if interested).

On 4/11/2018 at 3:16 PM, tpop said:

agreed. Not my idea. I had strongly advocated for going, volunteering for 1 year - he would have come out with some discipline and a better sense of perspective

Oh no.... another Mama's boy man child in the making.

Thanks alot.

• Like 1

On 11/04/2018 at 11:08 PM, rickudon said:

I think another option is to join the New Zealand defence forces. As i understand it, if you have served with the forces of another country, you no longer need to do the Thai conscription. But i do not know exactly what the rules for that are (so research it if interested).

better option and will learn a trade if you wish. Or learn nothing in the Thai army lol

On 12/04/2018 at 4:08 AM, rickudon said:

Good lateral thinking! I checked, you might be on to something. We are investigating further.

3 hours ago, ubonr1971 said:

OP is from the nanny state of NZ and has anger issues. Talk about being uptight.... jesus mary and joseph. Do you really think people will want to help you if you have such an angry attitude?

like one can expect anything from you? Right.