What Did You Do To Your Car Today?

akirasan

2 hours ago, rumak said:

you call your wife a  4 Runner ?   is her thai name  wingsii ?    sounds like she's a lucky gal.  last time

i took a wife to the states was 25 years ago.   (actually, you didn't say she is along, but i'm guessin)

And yes, she was along & we RV'd 5 states.....

Planned a couple more but the ice/snow kept us out.....

Next year we'll try for those again......

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, pgrahmm said:

And yes, she was along & we RV'd 5 states.....

Planned a couple more but the ice/snow kept us out.....

Next year we'll try for those again......

probably gonna get flagged for being off topic  haha     glad you guys enjoying your trip.    rumak  (could have included a photo of her checking the oil)

On 4/11/2018 at 10:35 AM, luk AJ said:

Purchased a BMW M5 F10 from Japan and reassembled in Thailand. All official..
I first had the M5 E60 which I sold recently. The M5 M10 is more smooth and better suited for Thai roads. The engine is a 4.4l twin turbo has 600HP stock but is now tuned to 700.
Changed exhaust to 2x3” changed break disks, tires, changed all oils and it is good to go. What I like most is the superfast gear change with a torque of + 600. I didnt buy this car for it’s speed but for the “feel” and comfort.

Love your M5

Unfortunately I don't have your budget but have gone a similar route in a way to get hot hatch performance and handling with a manual gearbox without spending a million baht +

Started off with a stock Mitsubishi Lancer.

Engine and gearbox swap to a JDM MIVEC engine giving about 70% power increase over the stock engine (bluebook legally updated and insurance informed) and close ratio gearbox with LSD.

image_25511.jpg.c8c9c935a231e36c3a99adc582d7c21d.jpg

Upgraded suspension with K-Sport coil overs and brakes with  bigger slot vented disks and 4pots from a Subaru on the front and wheels with Original Japanese Enkei's

image_28312.thumb.jpg.a754b0a9566f4af6cd7753de41c4e5f4.jpg

image_28313.thumb.jpg.990c04d5a11873589d1be95ec5d0af8b.jpg

seats are from a Mazada RX8 and have been custom fitted to sit lower for a more sports car feel

image_25519.jpg.ef7166d660f153e5272ee5b7db49e2a3.jpg

other minor mods include a radio relocation and custom upper dash panel to discreetly mount oil pressure and oil temp gauges, a Momo steering wheel, slight upgrade to the Audio including an small sub-woofer discreetly mounted under the passenger seat.

Future mod's will include an aftermarket air intake system which will require the battery to be relocated into the boot like this one:

22196004_955193764621449_2002886871154508106_n.jpg.03f6d7227f66fd7ea59ff7a8063e3bb7.jpg

Apart from the non-stock wheels (only went up to 16" to keep the relatively stock look), a slightly lower than standard ride height, and a slightly louder than stock exhaust outwardly the car looks pretty stock and I intend to keep it that way, no fake wannabe Evo bodykit or rear wing thanks ???? my car will definitely stay a 'sleeper' as I want it to be a fun ride for myself, not to attract the wrong sort of attention.

If I still lived in the west where nice manual sporty drivers cars can be purchased without paying crazy amounts of tax I would never do a project like this but actually doing it has been great fun, researching the different options, going to places like the used car spares village in Bangna, talking to Thai's who race similar cars at Bira, finding shop's to do what I want to, and has motivated me to improve my Thai to talk to the mechanics, car spares shop owners, engineering shop owners etc to do what I have done so far.

On 4/11/2018 at 9:20 AM, transam said:

I checked it was still there...:stoner:

Hey Trans ... I did the same this morning ...looked out of the bedroom window to check ... O shit couldn't see it ...then remembered we just had a car port built ... it was underneath ...

• 2 weeks later...

I did not like the empty space between my seats . I went to eBay and found a 2001 sports console from a Honda in England . When id arrived I took it to my custom upholsterer and he married the old console to the Honda one .. I like the result I got ...1075986329_20181101_1608461.thumb.jpg.b2ce2b7c6769cb15183dac695ed925f8.jpg

20181101_165007.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
15 minutes ago, transam said:

Can we have a pic of the boiler...????

its not a boiler but a bamboo charcoal gasifier, he build many things to have fun in Thailand... google "charcoal gasifier thailand"

he also have a pickup with the same kind of tank on it and some facebook pages...

3083.jpg.b0da75138cf49d6ebf24328ca733321c.jpg

I jacked the rear right wheel off the ground today! the wife had not checked where our dogs were and reversed over one!!! Luckily its a fat little $hit and just got skin trapped between tire and driveway, he obviously wasn't too happy - that was a fun 20 minutes or so :shock1:

Least I now know where the jacking points are ????

16 hours ago, CGW said:

I jacked the rear right wheel off the ground today! the wife had not checked where our dogs were and reversed over one!!! Luckily its a fat little $hit and just got skin trapped between tire and driveway, he obviously wasn't too happy - that was a fun 20 minutes or so :shock1:

Least I now know where the jacking points are ????

Mrs.Trans did similar, I buried the dog...????

34 minutes ago, trigpoint said:

I've had a lifetime of tinkering / repairing cars, mainly landrovers for my 4x4 off road competions, now here in Thailand I never look under the bonnet from 1year to the next on my Mazda truck, just serviced once a year. Luvly jubly.

Sent from my vivo 1601 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Land Rovers are the best looking 4wds ever, but you need

to carry a bags of tools with you at all times.

I  fitted  gas  struts to bonnet and tailgate also hand  carved a piece of mdf and sprayed it  matt black to  mount a  second  tablet on the dashboard, am awaiting two dashcams and  will add them into the  fuseboard  soon

I almost finished re-installing my anti tailgater on high beam Passive retaliation system;

it comprises 2 rolls of 13 yards long 2 inch wide 3M retroreflective tape (same as the fibre night vest stuff)

I wind this ribbon all around my cargo /dogbarrier in the rear of the wagon.

Tailgater comes up behind and is self blinding himself... getting back some inverse square ratio'd portion of his own blinding LED lighting!

Oh and it also sends just as much reflect back thru the windscreen, to corporal punish oncoming glaring lights drivers too... and also the 2 side window of the wagon have some of it too... just to catch out an attack of highbeam from all other quarters!

Going back to it's inception; at first all I wanted was to not have to continually flip the day/night mirror, but that got boring... 

The first project was to install a rear vision camera, because the fringe benefit of the tapes was that I had no direct mirror rear views. The ribbon by virtue of itself also stopped the TVscreen vision being washed out by all the tailgater's lights.

I then installed a 2nd rear cam;

both alternatively feed the same screen, as AV1 and AV2:

- one a day cam 170 degree view, which comes on auto when it detects movement i.e whenever driving. It is the direct replacement for the normal driving rear view mirror, which itself is now simply the base for the TV monitor, strapped over the mirror.

- the other a day/night IR cam 170 degrees, which auto selects for when I am in Reverse

Archived