New SETV rules for Aussies.

I have just noticed online some changes for single entry tourists visas from Thai Consulate in Sydney.

On their website they now require a return air ticket, proof of booked accommodation and proof of $2,000 in the bank.

I always buy a single ticket and never book accommodation because I never know how long I'll stay or where I'm going so it complicates things for me.

Are these new rules being enforced?

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, overherebc said:

Very similar to the conditions for Thai people going on holiday to Australia.

There are no such requirements for Thai people. I speak with authority having just returned from Australia with my Thai wife who was not required to have a return ticket or prove she had access to money. 

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, Swimman said:

There are no such requirements for Thai people. I speak with authority having just returned from Australia with my Thai wife who was not required to have a return ticket or prove she had access to money. 

Holiday makers generally have provide a lot more paperwork than someone who is married to an Australian.

• Like 2

• There is no mention of a return ticket on their website: 
  • Passport or travel document with a minimum validity of 6 months, and copy
  • Visa application form, fully completed
  • Recent passport-sized photograph (3.5 x 4.5 cm) of the applicant
  • For non-Australian or non-resident applicant, proof of an Australian Electronic Visa
  • Copy of an airline ticket indicating the date of arrival to and departure from Thailand
  • Evidence of adequate finances (THB 20,000 per person, or THB 40,000 per family)
    • For multiple entries, a certified bank’s letter of balance or official bank statement showing recent balance of no less than THB 200,000
  • Confirmed reservation of accommodation in Thailand

Airline ticket indicating the date of arrival to and departure from Thailand, this departure could be to any destination in the world.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Swimman said:

I have just returned also but part of the application requirement was access to funds. That included our Thai joint account and one of my Australian accounts.

I don't use Sydney Consulate anymore because of the extra paperwork. I just got my SETV from the Royal Thai Embassy in Canberra, download the visa application form from their web site, they only require a copy of your airline ticket into and out of Thailand. I sent my application by Express Post with a money order for A$55, a completed visa application form, my Australian Passport,  a copy of my passport information page, a copy of airline tickets, a self addressed return Express Post envelope and it took 5 days to get if back in the post.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Swimman said:

Correct, my Thai wife has never been asked about money or a return ticket. They might ask when you apply for a Visa?

14 minutes ago, reargunnerph3 said:

I don't use Sydney Consulate anymore because of the extra paperwork. I just got my SETV from the Royal Thai Embassy in Canberra, download the visa application form from their web site, they only require a copy of your airline ticket into and out of Thailand. I sent my application by Express Post with a money order for A$55, a completed visa application form, my Australian Passport,  a copy of my passport information page, a copy of airline tickets, a self addressed return Express Post envelope and it took 5 days to get if back in the post.

why get a visa when you can get visa on arrival?

• Sad 1

24 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

Australians do not qualify for a 15 day visa on arrival.

They do qualify for a 30 day visa exempt entry.

i thought it was 28 days , joe, got pulled up once at swampy as thai airways had booked my return flight for 29 days, they politely let me of the one day over stay

Strange my mates and I have been coming to Thailand for years we ALWAYS  book one way , only get a visa on arrival , walk across the border into Cambodia or Laos after our month is up stay there for 2 or 3 weeks depending on circumstances, walk back across the border , have always got a months extension then book our flights home . We always book online . Travel agents try that crap to make more money simply tell them u are going from country to country across land borders , if they sill refuse threaten to sue them as a friend of mine did they soon gave him what he wanted . Even when I went to China I did that , said I was going into Vietnam by a land border and so only had to book one way 

27 minutes ago, Khun Robert said:

So every time you entered Thailand you went to the special desk, paid 2.000 Thb and got 15 days of stay stamped in your passport?

Oeps you write later you stayed 30 days, so it must be a Visa Exempt Entry.

I posted earlier the requirements of the Thai Consulate in Sydney, not a travel agent , and one of them is: 

• Copy of an airline ticket indicating the date of arrival to and departure from Thailand ".

Than you write:

"Simply tell them u are going from country to country across land borders , if they sill refuse threaten to sue them"

Good luck with your lawsuit. Let us know the outcome.

I really want to know who exactly you would sue.

Would it be the individual officer who refused what you wanted or just the whole Immigration system or the government?

This could be good information for others.

Edited by overherebc

52 minutes ago, overherebc said:

I really want to know who exactly you would sue.

Would it be the individual officer who refused what you wanted or just the whole Immigration system or the government?

This could be good information for others.

He said the travel agent.

But what could they be sued for?

I'm surprised they didn't just tell him to Foxtrot Oscar when he said that.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, LongTimeLurker said:

He said the travel agent.

But what could they be sued for?

I'm surprised they didn't just tell him to Foxtrot Oscar when he said that.

Hilarious isn't.

I'm going to sue you.

As soon as I find an honest lawyer who will be local but 100% on my side and afterwards when I don't have to pay the lawyer the travel agents business will be down the drain and also I will get my visas for free.

The mind boggles.

4 hours ago, stropper said:

i thought it was 28 days , joe, got pulled up once at swampy as thai airways had booked my return flight for 29 days, they politely let me of the one day over stay

It's not 30 days plus the day you arrive, it's 30 days including the day you arrive. So arrival day plus 29 more days = 30 days.

16 minutes ago, Gillyflower said:

Well Dean.   This is 3 years that the Thai Embassy in Paris has been asking me for exactly the same info.   So it isn't just so easy as before!!

Strange isn't that so many countries have systems in place to screen visa applicants and the people from those countries are happy about it, but, if another country starts to implement the same conditions on them they start to get all anti about it. 

Yes people can come to stay for a long holiday in Thailand so where is the problem with them being asked by Thailand to show they have means to finance the long holiday.

It's all changing and in my opinion the ones objecting to the need to show flights, bookings etc are not in Thailands eyes true tourists. 

Without proof of the figures, I admit, the biggest percentage of tourist income comes from the people who come for a months holiday and go home until next year.

Just because you have done a thing one way for years is no indication that the rules are not going to change so you will no longer be able to continue with the same practice.

Embassies are tightened up on the rules, some (Japan is one) will now only issue visas to Japanese or resident foreign nationals. Visitors to Japan will not get a visa of any kind. You also have to show flights into and out of Thailand for most categories as well as proof of funds.

Don't be too surprised if embassy's in other countries follow those policies.

luckly the  neighbouring countries show no signs of a significant change.

On 4/11/2018 at 7:48 PM, heybuz said:

The only difference I found was the proof of accommodation.i stay with a Thai national at his home,he had to write a letter of invitation for me to submit to the consulate.

I had an address no invitation letter...no drama's, but different consulates have different rules.

On 11/04/2018 at 12:23 PM, Swimman said:

Mate can l ask. Did she need a tourist VISA obviously yes. Did you do the VISA yourself. Can you inbox me