Thoughts on why to tourists aim for the eyes and ears with high powered PVC water guns

joeyg

On 13/04/2018 at 1:30 PM, ThreeEyedRaven said:

Tourists on the whole are oblivious to the countries appalling road traffic record. Something that is wholly obvious to those of us who live here, simply doesn't connect with the poor unfortunate tourists, who sadly misplaced their brains when they came through Suvarnabhumi. I can understand why more than a few of them get punched in the head. Locals also seem to be afflicted by the missing or non functioning brain at the same time.

True

• Thanks 1

20 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

??????

Of course they do. Why would anyone think they get a pass? Back when I participated, the only immune people were the cops, and on the last day even they had to bag the guns.

A couple of years ago I saw a Thai Airways Hostesses drive in Uniform on a motorbike, it was clear she was going to her job...The morons had no mercy she was soaked and soaked again...that same day I saw a Farang open a door of a slow passing car and throw a bucket of water inside over the driver...  then I decided it would be my last songkran...

Edited by off road pat

2 hours ago, off road pat said:

A couple of years ago I saw a Thai Airways Hostesses drive in Uniform on a motorbike, it was clear she was going to her job...The morons had no mercy she was soaked and soaked again...that same day I saw a Farang open a door of a slow passing car and throw a bucket of water inside over the driver...  then I decided it would be my last songkran...

I'm not supporting the morons that did that, BUT, she knew she was going to have to drive through the water and could have worn a waterproof ( 20 baht at 7 11 ) or worn something else and taken her uniform in a waterproof bag, and cars come with doors that lock from the inside.

They think it's funny. 

Just shows how many undercover <deleted> there are. 

They wouldn't normally hurt people because they fear the repercussions. But give them an excuse and easy out and they show their true colors.

Pathetic sad people.

aims for the eyes ... "its the only way to be sure" Aliens

"no women no kids" Leon the professional

lots  bucket throwing  people trying to kill people on motorbikes ..no foreigners would do that, at least id hope not. 

But maybe im wrong. 

Edited by jaffas21

1 hour ago, thaibeachlovers said:

I'm not supporting the morons that did that, BUT, she knew she was going to have to drive through the water and could have worn a waterproof ( 20 baht at 7 11 ) or worn something else and taken her uniform in a waterproof bag, and cars come with doors that lock from the inside.

That works. If I have to go somewhere and know I'm going to get wet, I take dry clothes, shoes and a towel with me. I would wear a poncho too.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Suradit69 said:

More importantly, why would anyone go where tourists congregate during Songkran. ... or the rest of the year for that matter.

That's a weird comment. I go near tourists all year around - can't avoid them. Obviously, you don't like tourists, but you look like one as the rest of us do.

You won't need to go anywhere near tourists to get soaked during Pattaya's Songkran. Thai revellers outnumber foreigners by a huge margin.

Edited by tropo
  • Thanks 1

On 13/04/2018 at 6:51 PM, thaibeachlovers said:

??????

Of course they do. Why would anyone think they get a pass? Back when I participated, the only immune people were the cops, and on the last day even they had to bag the guns.

I recall 20 years ago a cop shot dead 2 youngsters in soi potisan who had thrown water on him and his children on the back of the bike.

4 hours ago, off road pat said:

or you could lock the car door?

• Like 1

A couple of off topic bickering posts have been removed. Could of been a whole lot more.

Please keep things civil and on the topic of tourists firing water pistols at the eyes.

Posting holidays if folks keep it up. You have been warned.

• Like 1

On 13/04/2018 at 1:18 PM, xylophone said:

Agree...........had one guy step into the road and poke his gun in the smallest of gaps I had between the helmet and visor in order to squirt water in my eye. I was furious and called him some unprintable words, whereby he just replied............"it's Songkran". A-hole.

It is amazing that these pathetic childish bully types use the festival to fulfull their malicious desires. They get drunk and it all gets more and more out of control. I can only hope your friend meets up with someone feeling grumpy enough to knock him out cold and break his toys into many pieces.

I stay out of town for Songkran,

• Like 1

12 hours ago, jaffas21 said:

aims for the eyes ... "its the only way to be sure" Aliens

"no women no kids" Leon the professional

lots  bucket throwing  people trying to kill people on motorbikes ..no foreigners would do that, at least id hope not. 

But maybe im wrong. 

You are wrong, no offence.  I rarely if ever see Thais throwing buckets of water in riders faces.  I'm guessing it happens but I haven't seen it and I've been to many many Songkrans.

19 hours ago, 0815 said:

Is he still alive ?

Apparently  but brain dead most certainly.  Where were a few pretty angry Thais but most seemed to stay cool.  I'm kind of surprised the management let this guy carry on the way he did, they usually do a pretty good job at controlling the zoo animals.  I wont be going back for Songkran.  usually  it's a nice bar and the girls are very nice but they do see to attract more than their fair share of psyco scumbags...

19 hours ago, HLover said:

Shocking as that bar normally is catering to an exclusive high class crowd, must be lowered Songkran standards.

Honestly in general it's a decent place.  Typical English pub atmosphere so we know how that goes. And the girls in there are very sweet.  Too frequently though an odd scumbag rolls in and gets drunk.  One bad apple spoils the batch unfortunately. And it happens fairly regularly. I like the Corner Bar but I've been on the wagon for almost a month.  Reality looks very different when your not looking at it through "beer googles." though.  Money is the bottom line though.  After the worse "High Season" in years ya have to get it however you can I guess...

20 hours ago, possum1931 said:

If there is a crowd roundabout, never mind the law, just do it. but only if it's a westerner, then disappear in with the crowd.

I was on the edge of doing just that.  The bar I was at is owned by a guy I consider a friend and I wouldn't want to make a problen at his bar and bring the police over.  plus I know a lot of people there and it would be hard to "disappear ."  Good thought though I'm just avoiding it for the rest of the holiday.

30 minutes ago, joeyg said:

I was on the edge of doing just that.  The bar I was at is owned by a guy I consider a friend and I wouldn't want to make a problen at his bar and bring the police over.  plus I know a lot of people there and it would be hard to "disappear ."  Good thought though I'm just avoiding it for the rest of the holiday.

I agree with everything you have said, enjoy the rest of your holiday.

• Thanks 1

On 4/14/2018 at 9:24 AM, samsensam said:

when i used to venture out at this time of year the locals were certainly as malicious as the foreigners, i never understood why they can't have fun and enjoy themselves without behaving like that.

on the other hand it is almost entirely the locals who seem to think it amusing to throw water, unexpectedly if possible, at motorcyclists. why would anyone do that?

Again I've rarely seen Thais behaving like this.  It does but it's rare from my experience.

22 hours ago, ThaiWai said:

True. I stay on the sidelines but kept an eye on the wife and her friend splashing about. Suddenly four grown men started violently whipping buckets of water at the girls with intense power sometimes deliberately trying to hit the girls in the face and eyes. You could hear the water slapping the girls who weigh a combined total of about 90 kilos. Luckily the girls tired of that quickly and wanted to leave. Why anyone would act like this or consider it fun is beyond me. Seemed like a lot of pent up aggression. 

Not pent up aggression, "chronic scumbag syndrome"

22 hours ago, poanoi said:

no, and no.

its by far and away more thais that has blasted my eyes than westerners,

it is exclusively thais that are hellbent on grouping woman

using songkran as cover, take off those rose tinted glasses and smell the coffee 

Never saw this alledged groping by Thais it's been all Indians and Arabs I've seen.  never a Thai.

21 hours ago, connda said:

Why is it that you believe that this type of moronic activity is limited to tourists?

Honestly I've been through many Songkrans.  the most malicious Behavior I've seen has been by tourists. Just my personal experience.

21 hours ago, kenk24 said:

or is it that some people just feel that they can turn the holiday in to a license to be mean...?

Not all but 90% lowlife scumbag humans are the problem... Humans are the most dangerous animal on earth. We have killed more of our own kind than any other animal on earth. We have destroyed more ecosystems than any other animal. We have made species extinct more than any other animal. Unlike any animal on earth man has created things never found in nature that kills. No animal on earth other than man has created bombs, poisonous chemicals, bio-toxins, cars, planes, heavy machinery and all the other billions of things that kill directly or indirectly. 
When people think of a dangerous animal they think about how physically powerful it is and how savage it can be. Humans may be frail and weak compared to large wild animals but we can be extremely savage. The interesting thing is that man is deadly in numbers and with technology. Put a unarmed human naked in the wilderness with zero primitive or modern survival skills and he’s dead meat. He would have less chance of survival than a rabbit. I have known of people who were an office cube worker who had no knowledge of the wilderness, weapons, traps , snares, animals, shelters, etc; found dead of exposure and starvation right next to abundant natural foods. Humans are becoming less self sufficient, resourceful and less able to survive on their own. So the average human isn’t the most deadly animal on earth, it’s the human species as a whole.

22 hours ago, HLover said:

I am guessing they were shirtless?

Just add large quantities of alcohol... Humans are the most dangerous animal on earth. We have killed more of our own kind than any other animal on earth. We have destroyed more ecosystems than any other animal. We have made species extinct more than any other animal. Unlike any animal on earth man has created things never found in nature that kills. No animal on earth other than man has created bombs, poisonous chemicals, bio-toxins, cars, planes, heavy machinery and all the other billions of things that kill directly or indirectly. 
When people think of a dangerous animal they think about how physically powerful it is and how savage it can be. Humans may be frail and weak compared to large wild animals but we can be extremely savage. The interesting thing is that man is deadly in numbers and with technology. Put a unarmed human naked in the wilderness with zero primitive or modern survival skills and he’s dead meat. He would have less chance of survival than a rabbit. I have known of people who were an office cube worker who had no knowledge of the wilderness, weapons, traps , snares, animals, shelters, etc; found dead of exposure and starvation right next to abundant natural foods. Humans are becoming less self sufficient, resourceful and less able to survive on their own. So the average human isn’t the most deadly animal on earth, it’s the human species as a whole.