Culture Clash And Chaos At Silom Songkran

snoop1130

Culture Clash And Chaos At Silom Songkran

By Khaosod English

1523608241463.jpg

BANGKOK — Traditional garb and garlands brushed shoulders with tank tops and water guns Friday where Lumphini Park meets Silom Road.

A retro Songkran fair opened by Gov. Aswin Kwanmuang kicked off earlier today in the park where revelers donned costumes from the old days, built sand chedis, perused handicrafts, made garlands and cheered for their favorite Miss Songkran in a beauty pageant with seven decades of history.

Full Story: http://www.khaosodenglish.com/featured/2018/04/13/culture-clash-and-chaos-at-silom-songkran/

khaosodeng_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Khaosod English 2018-4-13

5 minutes ago, Cake Monster said:

An even greater shame is that the Childs Parents are not sensible, and dont give a toss about her possibly being blinded.

They at least provided her with eye protection.

Thing is, with all our worry about protecting the kids, just how many are actually injured as a direct consequence of being squirted (not including the resultant motocy accidents)?

Even one is one too many, but I do sometimes think we are being over protective. When one thinks about what we did when we were young ...

• Like 1

23 hours ago, JOC said:

>>Aswin told reporters the fair, organized by Bangkok City Hall, would offer an alternative celebration where traditions are honored. At the park, heavy water weapons, powder dabbing and alcohol are not allowed.<<

Please...please more of the same all over the country...

Many Thai's and expats are getting fed up with the drunkenness and violence at the "normal" celebrations..

Give it a rest.

On 13/4/2561 at 5:35 PM, Crossy said:

Sensible lady with the safety glasses, shame she's not wearing them :sad:

Reminds me of visiting a potential private school for my Thai granddaughter, we watched a video of several activities including a chemistry lesson with real chemicals being poured from vessel to vessel with heat being applied etc. 

The farang teacher was wearing safety goggles but the 10 or so students no goggles.

Her father, my Thai son, was educated in Singapore, he asked the Thai school folks why the students were not wearing safety goggles, response: - Not necessary and too expensive.

And the school owner, Thai lady said to my son 'why are Thai people educated abroad always so impolite? 

On 4/14/2018 at 8:49 AM, dinsdale said:

That my friend is a child

And you came to that conclusion by looking at one picture ?  Looks like an 18 year old Chinese tourist to me