Tour speedboat catches fire from crewman’s cigarette

snoop1130

Tour speedboat catches fire from crewman’s cigarette

Eakkapop Thongtub

1523621441_1-org.jpg

PHUKET:-- A crewman on a Phuket tour speedboat suffered burns from a flash fire started by a cigarette he was smoking soon after refueling the boat this afternoon (April 13).

Rescue workers from the nearby Boat Lagoon Marina and the Kusoldharm Foundation were informed of the fire at 4.30pm.

The first responders arrived at the scene, on Boat Lagoon Soi 4, beside the canal leading to the sea, to find the crewman, 30-year-old Narongrit Nuanchan, with flash burns to his legs and scorched clothes.

Full Story: https://www.thephuketnews.com/tour-speedboat-catches-fire-from-crewman-cigarette-66766.php#yXZeQ6byjTeAAB2S.97

tphuketnews_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Phuket News 2018-4-13

Stupid is as stupid does.  I still remember the stories of fuel truck spills, and people

using buckets to scoop up the gas, until some idiot lights a cigarette , the whole

pool and people with his stupid act. Looked like a nice boat, with 3 engines yet.

Geezer

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

One pf the most idiotic things I have seen was a video (not Thai) showing a man peering inside the lid of a petrol tanker. Obviously he could not see inside as he pulled out his Zippo to check.

Edited by Valentine
  • Haha 2

12 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

The first responders arrived at the scene, on Boat Lagoon Soi 4, beside the canal leading to the sea, to find the crewman, 30-year-old Narongrit Nuanchan, with flash burns to his legs and scorched clothes.

Probably released from hospital and went home to eat his pufferfish ! 

13 hours ago, samsensam said:

one of my scariest moments was while travelling through pakistan in a van we stopped at a petrol station and the driver got out fill up with fuel... while smoking a cigarette.

a close second was being in a long distance taxi in yemen sitting next to a child playing with his dad's handgun...

If a van it most likely was diesel. Smoking would be no issue in that case.

I would go for your second one as the first :)

1 hour ago, stevenl said:

If a van it most likely was diesel. Smoking would be no issue in that case.

I would go for your second one as the first :)

Not altogether true. If the weather is hot enough then diesel fumes can become inflammable. I remember when I was in Africa on a particularly hot night a heavy vehicle driver went to check his fuel level with a lighter. The tank exploded killing him instantly.

16 hours ago, samsensam said:

one of my scariest moments was while travelling through pakistan in a van we stopped at a petrol station and the driver got out fill up with fuel... while smoking a cigarette.

a close second was being in a long distance taxi in yemen sitting next to a child playing with his dad's handgun...

I’m not sure why you would expect anything else. Pakistan, Yemen hahaha Thailand must seem like paradise. It’s all relative. Phew!

On 4/13/2018 at 1:19 PM, Stargrazer9889 said:

Stupid is as stupid does.  I still remember the stories of fuel truck spills, and people

using buckets to scoop up the gas, until some idiot lights a cigarette , the whole

pool and people with his stupid act. Looked like a nice boat, with 3 engines yet.

Geezer

June, 2017:  At least 153 were killed Sunday when they rushed to collect leaking fuel from a crashed tanker in Bahawalpur, eastern Pakistan, before it suddenly exploded.

Make that 219 people.

Edited by Damrongsak