Songkran traffic death toll climbs to 188 in 3 days

rooster59

2 hours ago, Jack Mountain said:

Still below average compared to the 26000 a year they promise all the time.

...I think the other 71 fatalities per day or 26000 go on top, because they are not Songkran related.

1 hour ago, Anak Nakal said:

Where police???????

Sit in office when people die.

Yep the police know how dangerous it is to be out and about. Who would be crazy enough to be out there directing traffic in the chaos?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, strawpanda said:

As for cars, you have more chance in say a Saab or Volvo than a little Fiat. 

More chance of what, killing a pedestrian or bike rider? Most Thais do not have their choice of car in which to ride or drive, most use motorbikes.

3 hours ago, Jack Mountain said:

Still below average compared to the 26000 a year they promise all the time.

Not worry, one good coach/bus crash and it will be right up there again !

And point out again the effort made to make it even slightly less by getting every policeman and his dog ou on the road and it making very little difference.

21 minutes ago, buffallobill said:

My wife drove the pick up to the market this morning,  with 5 kids and 2 adults in the back of our pick up,  non of them sat in the cab,  and the 2 adults sat on plastic seats,  as the floor was wet,  I told the Mrs how dangerous it would be if she had an emergency stop,  she just said  "farang think too much" 

"farang think too much"  

I hope Thai bus drivers don't think this way:giggle:

• Like 2

Just checked highway 212 near my location

Water stations  opposite each other and complete with blow up pools and hoses.Occupiers were complaining as local water tower has run dry.

About half the utes passing are filled with people sitting high on the wellside and tailgate.(is that not illegal???) This provided an easy launch platform and a beer goes to the longest trajectory

Very typical performance for this area. Did  a few traffic counts  during the day and average is over 1000 cars & utes per hour,majority appear to be well above 90kph

Great money maker for a speed camera as the straight road is 4km long before a 35 degree curve which traps a few!

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, nchuckle said:

Why on earth would you imagine a turning point might be reached? Have you noticed any increase in the IQ or attitudes of the average Thai driver,or any intelligent thought through remedies by those in charge? Policing only works by consent , the Thai public have consistently made clear they have no will to address these issues,they don’t care and nor do the government.Expect worse on an ongoing basis; you won’t then be disappointed.

Some subset of the Thai population is digging on the status quo where cops buy their positions from someone and focus their efforts on paying them off instead of enforcing traffic rules.  But I don't think that's true of the general public (aside from the fact that their taxes are reduced because they don't have to pay the cops much in salary). 

Because the general public is not where the money leads.  And it's usually prudent to follow the money when something doesn't seem to make sense. 

Edited by impulse

3 hours ago, cardinalblue said:

But everyone is having a good time....thailand seems to live with these numbers...a beer in one hand and a water gun in the other....

Many funerals after Songkran to drink more free beer and whisky...

I have lived here awhile and nothing changes, nothng is fixed. Roads flood, burning pollution up North keeps going. Add the Carnage goes on the highways and roads. Why? You tell me.

Edited by rascalman
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, buffallobill said:

My wife drove the pick up to the market this morning,  with 5 kids and 2 adults in the back of our pick up,  non of them sat in the cab,  and the 2 adults sat on plastic chairs,   as the floor was wet,  I told the Mrs how dangerous it would be if she had an emergency stop,  she just said  "farang think too much" 

Good post .

Says it all really.

I drive a lot in LOS  ( push bikes / little motor bikes / big motor bikes / utes etc )..I know some freak could get me head on , but basically i drive defensively to survive . Its not that hard.

The thai folk think different to " us " ...just look at the trinkets/junk etc on the dash of trucks and cars to protect them . Its a different culture ...

They are actually mad cu%*

But we all love em.

It wont change in our life time .

• Like 1

9 hours ago, cardinalblue said:

But everyone is having a good time....thailand seems to live with these numbers...a beer in one hand and a water gun in the other....

It's the Thai way.  And as a result they are more happy than people are in the west.  So, which do you prefer, slightly less chance of dying in a road accident, or a lifetime of freedom to go about your life in whatever way you see fit?  Most westerners would pick the former because that is what they are used to, it's harder for them to rationalise a state of mind that they haven't grown up surrounded by.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, rascalman said:

I have lived here awhile and nothing changes, no is fixed. Roads flood, burning pollution up North keeps going. Add the Carnage goes on the highways and roads. Why? You tell me.

No reason, it just does!

7 hours ago, Khun Paul said:

We all know foreigners cannot tell Thais what or how to do it, therefore any logical, commonsense thoughts on how to change the attitude of the Population, the Police and Government will as usual fall on deaf ears.

I'm not sure that Thais are against listening to foreigners per se, it's just that they can't relate to what the foreigners are saying.  The rhetoric of 'increased regulation, tougher enforcement, higher fines' etc is not of much interest to Thais, they're content as they are.

If you regulate songkran then you take away some of the happiness and that sort of defeats the entire point; you'd reduce the death toll for sure, but you'd also suck the life out of what is a time to have fun for all Thais.

4 hours ago, darksidedog said:

This is just getting worse by the day. I had hoped after just 39 on day one, this year might finally be the turning point, but obviously any message about safe and responsible driving has not registered at all out there. It is truly tragic that this happens every year with no end in sight.

But even the 39 on the first day was up on last year (33) so there was no reason to suggest a 'turning point'.

1 hour ago, buffallobill said:

My wife drove the pick up to the market this morning,  with 5 kids and 2 adults in the back of our pick up,  non of them sat in the cab,  and the 2 adults sat on plastic chairs,   as the floor was wet,  I told the Mrs how dangerous it would be if she had an emergency stop,  she just said  "farang think too much" 

Have tried to tell my Thai GF similar things for the last 20 years, its like pissing into a gale wind.

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, rascalman said:

I have lived here awhile and nothing changes, nothng is fixed. Roads flood, burning pollution up North keeps going. Add the Carnage goes on the highways and roads. Why? You tell me.

no one can tell you but I will tell you most is down to bad driving and thais being unable to understand the laws/ rules of the road. and not enough police to enforce such laws

• Like 1

4 hours ago, strawpanda said:

As for cars, you have more chance in say a Saab or Volvo than a little Fiat. 

Yes if you know in your heart you can't drive and God never intended you to ever have the keys to any vehicle (like Thai People) then get a Volvo or a Saab (they don't make Saab anymore do they?) or a Mercedes Benz as they are the best cars for your life threatening motor accident not if but when it happens because driving a car requires forward thinking, defensive driving and common sense which is at an all time low with heavy trading. Oh Yeah don't text or watch TV while driving as it could be a problem do you think ?

• Like 1