113,960 drink drivers arrested and 2,991 vehicles seized in three days

rooster59

20 minutes ago, kevvy said:

It just makes me sad , to think of all the families who will loose loved ones . And the government still wont do nothing about it .They have to  look at other countries and learn how they do it , it is not rocket science

And what more do you think government can do to prevent Thai people drinking and driving 

Destroy the car's I pretty sure not country do that 

But Thailand really have a drinking problem and now under songkran where police is out stop people we can see it but I am very sure it is normal behavior from Thai but police just not work as same in normal days only just now continue to do this control and Thailand will become safer 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, janclaes47 said:

Now if you would structure your sentence just the other way around, that would be right on the ball.

many Thai people just don't care or think about the consequences of their actions because law enforcement (in general) is a joke

In the western world maybe.  Education, culture and then law enforcement. If people think it is ok to drive and drink you will never decrease accidents. Better law enforcement alone will not do much. Hence this thread.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Bluespunk said:

They should not be returned.

Sell them off to pay for costs of prosecuting morons who drink and drive. 

Ban those caught for at least 5 years. 

If they violate ban, then gaol them. 

Anyone stupid enough to think they are fit to drive after drinking, cannot be trusted to drive. 

Who said they thought they were fit to drive?  They probably knew full well they were smashed off their heads and carried on regardless.  Back to your nanny state, Sir.

• Confused 2
  • Sad 2

Anyone stupid enough to think they are fit to drive after drinking, cannot be trusted to drive. 

They will just get new vehicles or bikes and continue to violate. They should be incarcerated until Songkran is over.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

49 minutes ago, dallen52 said:

Australia does...
Hoons, idiots who repeat offend.
Probationary drivers who break the law.
Through the crusher...
It doesn't matter if you are financed to the hilt.
Or its mum's or dads car.Screenshot_20180414-222044.jpg

Sent from my SM-T555 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Sorry I  never hear Australia confiscate car's for drinking and driving people will always get it back 

So only 2% of the arrested drunk drivers had their vehicles seized? <deleted>? Were the other 98% allowed to drive their vehicles home after failing the breathalyzer test? I wonder what is the criteria for seizing vehicles?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

41 minutes ago, merlin2002 said:

So only 2% of the arrested drunk drivers had their vehicles seized? W?F? Were the other 98% allowed to drive their vehicles home after failing the breathalyzer test? I wonder what is the criteria for seizing vehicles?

I was rear ended in front of a police box by a really drunk driver once. He was driving his government issued Forest Dept. truck. He didn't have any ID or license on him so the cop had him drive home to get it. He could barely stand.

To further complicate matters, when the guy returned we were both transported to the local govt. hospital to take a breathalyzer test. He blew a 1.94 three hours after the initial incident. I hadn't been drinking so naturally I blew .000. They seemed disappointed.

Anyhow, these arrest numbers are "staggering". That's about 1:57 of every Thai person; man woman and child.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Nickymaster said:

I have lived here for many years and have worked with many Thais at many levels and their mindset is very difficult to change. They will just jump in a car take their bike when they have been drinking.

It's not just the Thai. The vast majority of foreigners I have met who live up-country drink drive/ride on a daily basis too.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, lannarebirth said:

Anyhow, these arrest numbers are "staggering". That's about 1:57 of every Thai person; man woman and child.

I think you meant 1:570. Nevertheless I agree, "staggering".

Personally, I find those figures very hard to believe - but the RTP would never lie to us, would they?

In round figures, 114,000 arrests were made. Establishment of RTP is around 230,000 officers (but that includes senior ranks, inactive posts, "excused boots", and "desk jockeys"). Draw your own conclusions.

Edited by chickenslegs
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Bluespunk said:

There are also people driving with attitude problems who are just as dangerous on the roads day and night.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, chickenslegs said:

I think you meant 1:570. Nevertheless I agree, "staggering".

Personally, I find those figures very hard to believe - but the RTP would never lie to us, would they?

In round figures, 114,000 arrests were made. Establishment of RTP is around 230,000 officers (but that includes senior ranks, inactive posts, "excused boots", and "desk jockeys").

You're right!

18 minutes ago, Fish Head Soup said:

It's not just the Thai. The vast majority of foreigners I have met who live up-country drink drive/ride on a daily basis too.

And I'm sure that foreigners got caught as well. But I don't think that somebody would mention that. It's better to blame others, isn't it?