Road accidents continue higher trend even as revellers defy heat to celebrate Sonkgran

rooster59

8 hours ago, smedly said:

because you cannot turn road safety and law enforcement  on and off like a tap, it needs to be 24hrs a day 365 days a year

The lack of proactive, mobile, trained officers and radar/camera/computer equipped traffic patrol units is a contrbuting factor. I doubt the garden variety copper knows how to initiate a traffic stop.

Corruption, the lack of public/driver roadway safety education, poor vehicle inspection and lax consequences for breaking the law,  completes the chaotic mess.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Thailand said:

Good to see the morality police were concentrating on those wearing politically incorrect attire during the celebrations,should help with reducing road accidents and fatalities.

It's just xxxxxxx unbelievable, highlights the absolute stupidity of LOS. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Enoon said:

The country has been constantly developing.

However it has been developing (and continues to develop) into an entity that is totally unlike where you, I and most of the contributors to these pages came from.

It is those who cannot see that who remain "undeveloped"......yearning for the arrival of a Western reality (the one that they turned their backs on) which cannot be realised outside of the West where it was constructed.

You left that behind.

The East, China, Thailand......the non-Western world are building their own version of the future.

At best, unimaginable to Westerners (and probably not the one that the non-West imagines for itself).

At worst.........Chaos.

That's History folks.

Yes, I've seen the development in the education system, in the police system, development in fighting graft, in the driving habits......if that's development, you've lost me!

How come this topic was dead for 7 hours? Last comment 14 minutes ago, before that 8 hours before. Makes no sense.

Whatever. Police are concerned with modest dress, while hundreds die a violent death, sounds about right. But as has been pointed out, nearly all Thais are not in the least bit concerned about safety issues, or even aware that there is problem. The police just sit around under tents, while lawless mayhem triumphs.

• Like 1

It is totally unrealistic to be lax on road law enforcement all through the year and suddenly try to enforce the rules during a festival.

People will continue to die on the Thai roads, unless the law is enforced in a more responsable, civilised, strict and honest manner.....365 days on the year and not just during a festival.

But this takes time to learn. France at one time was one of the worst roads in the world. One ambitious chap in power changed the whole picture. Ruthless policies for speed traps were put up.....unmarked police cars were all fitted with speed guns and the perpetrators were ruthlessly fined high amounts on the spot and the cars impounded if they could not pay up...... licences revoked.....technical random checks by the police on basic vehicle safety issues on the roads......jail for thoese drunk with high alcohool levels....jail for the truck drivers with overloads....small choppers and planes were used by the police for trapping sppedsters on highways ....and so on......it took a few years and large amounts of tax money.......but today, the French roads are an exemple and safe...have often cited the example of France, but apparently it worked....

• Like 1

I wonder how many of these accidents were actually on the main highways. Perhaps being caught in 50km tailbacks then when getting near their destinations people go onto secondary roads put their foot down because they are running late and then being tired the inevitable happens. A few of my wife's family have decided to stay in Bangkok this holiday. Double time in the factories I'm told plus easy traffic conditions.

13 hours ago, rooster59 said:

According to the road accident report on April 13 – the third day of the monitoring period – there were a total of 820 accidents, 86 deaths and 852 injured people – with increases in all numbers except the death toll.

Once again, these numbers tragically document what's behind the hollow term 'Thainess' - a blatant ubiquitous inability.

• Like 1

As summer storms often bring intense downpours, thunder, gusty winds and hail, Wanchai urged all people residing in affected regions to be cautious.

And you thought the roads were dangerous!

5 hours ago, PatOngo said:

Yes, I've seen the development in the education system, in the police system, development in fighting graft, in the driving habits......if that's development, you've lost me!

Are you purposely being obtuse?

What he is saying is that a good government provides what the people want, and not what the government thinks they need.

My country was more like that when I grew up in the 50..just imagine: we didn't wear bike helmets!

the thai people are getting what they want from their government in terms of road safety and police enforcement.

As for me, the price my society in America has paid for what we have gotten from the government is way too high.

Life is a dangerous proposition. Living in an overbearing nanny state is not the answer either.

A post containing misleading information has been removed:

14) You will not post any copyrighted material except as fair use laws apply (as in the case of news articles). Please only post a link, the headline and the first three sentences.

15) Any links posted must lead to the website the link indicates. Links that are misleading or direct to a site different than the one indicated are not allowed.

English is the only acceptable language anywhere on ThaiVisa including Classifieds, except within the Thai language forum, where of course using Thai is allowed.

It says the police are monitoring the situation closely about the way people drive.I think that means the Tv stays off for a hour longer so they get less time to watch the kick boxing. I am afraid when you have bad drivers who have no patience and respect for the law( that is even if they know the car road rules) and a police force that turns a blind eyes when people break the law ( running a red light quiet acceptable here) then there is no hope really because it is just a hopeless cause Why bother having all these meetings to think how can you stop this slaughter?

• Like 1

8 hours ago, RocketDog said:

Are you purposely being obtuse?

What he is saying is that a good government provides what the people want, and not what the government thinks they need.

My country was more like that when I grew up in the 50..just imagine: we didn't wear bike helmets!

the thai people are getting what they want from their government in terms of road safety and police enforcement.

As for me, the price my society in America has paid for what we have gotten from the government is way too high.

Life is a dangerous proposition. Living in an overbearing nanny state is not the answer either.

With average annual gun related deaths in America running at 33,636 per annum it really makes Thailands road fatalities look relatively mild in comparison!

Songkran is happening with lots of tourists in the country and having a great

wet time. People are travelling everywhere, and of course there will be accidents

and deaths. Sounds like the numbers are higher, so good luck to all for the next

bunch of days. Enjoy the heat!

Geezer