248 people killed and 2,557 injured in road accidents during April 11-14 Songkran celebrations

Jonathan Fairfield

248 people killed and 2,557 injured in road accidents during April 11-14 Songkran celebrations

tp1.jpg

The death toll from 2,449 road accidents in the past four days during April 11-14 rose to 248 and 2,557 injured, with 57 deaths and 626 injured in 603 accidents on April 14 alone, according to the statistics of the Centre for the Protection and Reduction of Road Accidents during Songkran festival.

Dr Opas Karnkawinpong, deputy permanent secretary of public health in his capacity as the chairman of the centre, said on Sunday that drink driving accounted for the 43.62 percent of the road accidents which was the highest, followed by speeding, 25.70 percent.

Motorcycles accounted for the highest number of road accidents at 79.58 percent of all the road accidents and 65.17 percent of the accidents occurred on straight roads; 43.62 percent of the accidents on secondary roads in villages and areas under the jurisdiction of tambon organization organizations; and 32.84 percent on roads under the jurisdiction of the Highways Department.

Full story: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/248-people-killed-2557-injured-road-accidents-april-11-14-songkran-celebrations/

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2018-04-15

43 minutes ago, merlin2002 said:

That's an average of 62 deaths for the 4 days so far... so with all the supposed checkpoints, police out in force, the fatality rate is no better than what it is all year round.... way to go... 

62 deaths a day! from what I have read the usual is between 62 to 68 deaths a days! help me what am I missing here, this is an everyday occurrence why blame Songkran!

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Dmaxdan said:

This article almost reads like they are boasting about the number of fatalities and accidents with all the precise percentages and figures. Someone really needs to put their calculator away an try and find an actual solution to this horrendous problem.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect

they dont know how to solve the problem thats the big problem.....rather problematic for the men in charge !!

1 hour ago, merlin2002 said:

That's an average of 62 deaths for the 4 days so far... so with all the supposed checkpoints, police out in force, the fatality rate is no better than what it is all year round.... way to go... 

Well, the police aren't actually doing anything. Just sitting in their tent!  The stupid cones down the middle of the road, are dangerous too. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, ratcatcher said:

tp1.jpg

Can somebody identify the origin  of this pile of scrap metal and plastic?

Think it might have been a car but don't quote me.

That must have travelling at a fair speed to do that damage.

Edited by overherebc

During the 7 dangerous days i stay off the road as much as possible but this evening I brought the little boy back to his mum, which is about 30km round trip mainly over secondary roads.

You know that a sober driver can observe from the driving and riding style of road users if someone is drunk.

I think that 70% of what I met on the road this evening was showing clear signs of being drunk.

I can also say that on at least 5 occasions cars and bikes just appeared out of nowhere, or made movements that a sober person would never make, and if I wasn't prepared for what to expect I probably would have had an accident.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Jonathan Fairfield said:

43.62 percent of the accidents on secondary roads in villages and areas under the jurisdiction of tambon organization organizations; and 32.84 percent on roads under the jurisdiction of the Highways Department

wonder on what roads the remaining (100 - 76.46 ) = 23.54 % accidents happened.

23 hours ago, essox essox said:

they dont know how to solve the problem thats the big problem.....rather problematic for the men in charge !!

exactly   they cant have a serious full on crackdown of the law in respect of drivers etc,  as the populace will get very angry,  not something the Gov. want, at any time.

bet we dont get any figures about the total fines imposed, how many in gaol etc, for this period

On Sunday, April 15, 2018 at 5:37 PM, darksidedog said:

More disappointing numbers and the numbers of drink driving related accidents continues to be deeply disturbing.

I note that motorbikes account for 80% of all accidents. I would be interested to know how many of those were caused by someone drowning them as they shot by at speed.

My belief is that the act of throwing water at a moving motor bike is the height of stupidity and really should be made against the law. I suspect the accident, death and injury numbers would come down quite a bit from this single act, though common sense is hard to find sometimes, so I don't expect that to happen quickly.

Just catching up on the past 5 days here on tv darksidedog , so I don't know all that is in the soakran pot.

Only 2 days of wet in and around Nan but it has caught my breath seeing so many on bikes nearly coming off as being hit full on. Even in a pickup one or two bucket fulls from folk hidden behind parked cars came as a surprise , so yes how many of this 80%  would still be riding if not getting the full wet treatment !