Fired FBI director Comey says Trump 'morally unfit' - ABC News interview

webfact

Fired FBI director Comey says Trump 'morally unfit' - ABC News interview

By Amanda Becker and Richard Cowan

2018-04-16T025732Z_3_LYNXMPEE3E0KA_RTROPTP_4_USA-TRUMP-COMEY.JPG

A copy of former FBI director James Comey's book "A Higher Loyalty" is seen in New York City, New York, U.S. April 13, 2018. REUTERS/Soren Larson

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - Former FBI director James Comey said in an ABC News interview on Sunday that U.S. President Donald Trump is a dangerous, "morally unfit" leader doing "tremendous damage" to institutional norms.

Comey, fired by Trump in May last year, was worried the president may be open to blackmail by Russia given claims he was present when prostitutes urinated on each other during a 2013 Moscow visit.

Comey's firing came as the Federal Bureau of Investigation was probing possible connections between Trump's 2016 presidential campaign and Russia's meddling in the American elections.

Russia has denied interfering in the election and Trump has denied any collusion or improper activity.

Comey said in the exclusive interview with ABC News' George Stephanopoulos, which aired at 10 p.m. on Sunday (0200 GMT on Monday), that it is "possible, but I don't know" whether Russia has evidence to back up the allegations about Trump's Moscow trip.

"A person ... who talks about and treats women like they're pieces of meat, who lies constantly about matters big and small and insists the American people believe it, that person's not fit to be president of the United States, on moral grounds. And that's not a policy statement," Comey said.

"He is morally unfit to be president," he added.

Comey has a tell-all book, "Higher Loyalty," due out on Tuesday.

The book's imminent release - and the slated ABC News interview - prompted Trump to hurl a new set of insults at Comey earlier on Sunday, challenging accusations made in the book, and insisting that he never pressed Comey to be loyal to him.

"Slippery James Comey, a man who always ends up badly and out of whack (he is not smart!), will go down as the WORST FBI Director in history, by far!" Trump wrote early on Sunday in one of five Twitter posts aimed directly at Comey.

Reuters and other news outlets have obtained copies of Comey's book before its formal release. In it, Comey wrote that Trump, in a private meeting, pressed the then-FBI director for his loyalty.

Comey told ABC News that the title of the book came from a "bizarre conversation" he had with Trump at the White House in January 2017 shortly after his inauguration.

"He asked for my loyalty personally as the F.B.I. director. My loyalty's supposed to be to the American people and to the institution," Comey said in the interview.

The FBI has long tried to operate as an independent law enforcement agency.

"I never asked Comey for Personal Loyalty. I hardly even knew this guy. Just another of his many lies. His "memos" are self serving and FAKE!" Trump said on Twitter.

U.S. House of Representatives Speaker Paul Ryan, interviewed on NBC's "Meet the Press," expressed qualified support for Comey. Asked whether Comey was a man of integrity, the Republican speaker said: "As far as I know," but added that he did not know him well.

Asked about Trump's use last week of the words "slime ball" to describe Comey, Ryan said: "I don't use words like that."

(Reporting by Amanda Becker and Richard Cowan; Additional reporting by Sarah Lynch; Editing by Lisa Shumaker and Peter Cooney)

reuters_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Reuters 2018-04-16
  • Sad 1

"Comey",hated by many! Americans are led to believe that we can trust the FBI top officials and that they never get political,minus J. Edger and A ,McCabe. 

1-3-17, Democratic  Senator C. Schumer might of said it best,

“Let me tell you, you take on the intelligence community, they have six ways from Sunday at getting back at you,” Schumer told MSNBC's Rachel Maddow.

http://thehill.com/homenews/administration/312605-schumer-trump-being-really-dumb-by-going-after-intelligence-community

• Confused 1

5 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

. That's a stain on the American people that will be hard to ever wash away. 

Harder still when nothing is learned and the same calculating style of voting continues in the next election and the next, until the lesson is learned.

Comey Interview: Impeaching Trump ‘Would Let the American People Off the Hook’

“I think impeaching and removing Donald Trump from office would let the American people off the hook and have something happen indirectly that I believe they’re duty bound to do directly,” Comey said, according to a transcript of the interview. “People in this country need to stand up and go to the voting booth and vote their values.”

https://www.yahoo.com/news/comey-interview-impeaching-trump-let-022621629.html

1 hour ago, lannarebirth said:

Comey Interview: Impeaching Trump ‘Would Let the American People Off the Hook’

“I think impeaching and removing Donald Trump from office would let the American people off the hook and have something happen indirectly that I believe they’re duty bound to do directly,” Comey said, according to a transcript of the interview. “People in this country need to stand up and go to the voting booth and vote their values.”

https://www.yahoo.com/news/comey-interview-impeaching-trump-let-022621629.html

“People in this country need to stand up and go to the voting booth and vote their values.”

The Constitution makes it law, every 4 years there is a Presidential election in America,the last time was in 2016 ,when America's electorate,   voted their values

Edited by riclag
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, riclag said:

“People in this country need to stand up and go to the voting booth and vote their values.”

The Constitution makes it law, every 4 years there is a Presidential election in America,the last time was in 2016 ,when America electorate,   voted their values

I wouldn't like to think so. I think thy voted the way they always vote. For the least worst candidate.  Now they see what happens when you don't vote your values but instead vote by cold calculation. You are offered two candidates with no discernible values to speak of and then one of them wins and the next time you get two that are worse still.

1 minute ago, lannarebirth said:

I wouldn't like to think so. I think thy voted the way they always vote. For the least worst candidate.  Now they see what happens when you don't vote your values but instead vote by cold calculation. You are offered two candidates with no discernible values to speak of and then one of them wins and the next time you get two that are worse still.

It leaves a lot to be said for the millions who don't bother to vote,because , many feel their values don't mean anything

2 hours ago, Jingthing said:

Even before he announced his run for president, it was obvious to anyone paying attention that "trump" is a totally corrupt con man that has no business in any public office. But he was elected anyway. Sort of and with Putin's and Comey's help but he still won and he shouldn't have even been close. That's a stain on the American people that will be hard to ever wash away. 

I don't go for preachy moral judgments like Comey the "boy scout" does (Oh, Lordy!) but his basic premise is obviously true -- UNFIT! Shouldn't be there. Should be forced out. ASAP. Before he does even more damage.

Trump is the most amoral individual I've ever heard or seen. Real mob bosses have more standards than he does.

I recently saw an article stating the claim that future elections will be the same with Democrats getting more votes but Repubs winning elections b/c of the electoral college. I think it's long past due to debate a change in how elections are won. 

ask not.jpg

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

The Kennedy's are great examples of immoral politicians at its best but then they were Democrats and the Kennedys could do no wrong for the Press Corps.  Camelot - what a crock!

The trouble people have with Trump is that he is out front about what he thinks and says it.  I believe that Trump may have asked for loyalty but that doesn't mean he asked Comey to do something unethical or illegal.  There can't be many on either side of the political divide that don't think Comey is just a little slimy.  As with all these books that come out they are often written by a ghost writer who knows how to make a book sell.  It's not about facts as that might be too boring. They spice it up with things that will sell. All the things people really want to know still have not been released so how did they fill all those pages.  A multimillion dollar book deal on leadership from Comey would not sell without a bit of dirt.  I doubt it's worth the paper it's printed on.

15 minutes ago, utalkin2me said:

they are all self serving. write a book and then make controversial headlines. are you kidding me? i wish we could stop paying attention. i have more respect for the kardashians. 

Self-serving? This guy dedicated his entire life to working with law enforcement and reached the highest level of the FBI. 

What exactly have the Kardashians done to earn any respect? How are they more respectable than this hardworking public servant?

6 minutes ago, JCauto said:

Self-serving? This guy dedicated his entire life to working with law enforcement and reached the highest level of the FBI. 

And, this guy finally failed badly. Emotionally overwhelmed. Then he wrote a book. For what reason? To revenge him self? Did he really nothing learned form Clinton and Bannon? He should have done rather his job instead to think about what's bad or good for presidential candidates. It wasn't his job to do politics. However, now he is exposing himself. People with some common sense will remember him just as a......clown.

20 minutes ago, JCauto said:

What exactly have the Kardashians done to earn any respect? How are they more respectable than this hardworking public servant?

More important, what has the Trump family done to earn any respect?  What history of service does Commander Bone Spur and his clueless off-spring have?

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, alocacoc said:

And, this guy finally failed badly. Emotionally overwhelmed. Then he wrote a book. For what reason? To revenge him self? Did he really nothing learned form Clinton and Bannon? He should have done rather his job instead to think about what's bad or good for presidential candidates. It wasn't his job to do politics. However, now he is exposing himself. People with some common sense will remember him just as a......clown.

Yes, I agree he failed when he chose to reveal the information about Hillary and swung the election to Trump. And you're of course outraged about that and the way he damaged democracy even though it ended up getting your man Donald in, right? Is there no end to your hypocrisy?

He said he wrote the book  because "I was never going to write a book. But I decided I had to write this one to try and be useful. That was my goal after I was fired, to be useful. And it occurred to me maybe I can be useful by offering a view to people, especially to young people, of what leadership should look like and how it should be centered on values."  Remember when conservatives like yourself used to care about and espouse values? Which values that you advocate does Donald embody? Fiscal conservatism? Threw that out with the last Trillion Dollar budget giveaway to the Rich. Religious piety? You're kidding, right. Moral virtue? Uh huh. Non-involvement in Foreign Wars? That's gone. Actually, can you name a single conservative value that this guy possesses and has presided over in this greatest of presidencies?

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, JCauto said:

Yes, I agree he failed when he chose to reveal the information about Hillary and swung the election to Trump. And you're of course outraged about that and the way he damaged democracy even though it ended up getting your man Donald in, right? Is there no end to your hypocrisy?

He said he wrote the book  because "I was never going to write a book. But I decided I had to write this one to try and be useful. That was my goal after I was fired, to be useful. And it occurred to me maybe I can be useful by offering a view to people, especially to young people, of what leadership should look like and how it should be centered on values."  Remember when conservatives like yourself used to care about and espouse values? Which values that you advocate does Donald embody? Fiscal conservatism? Threw that out with the last Trillion Dollar budget giveaway to the Rich. Religious piety? You're kidding, right. Moral virtue? Uh huh. Non-involvement in Foreign Wars? That's gone. Actually, can you name a single conservative value that this guy possesses and has presided over in this greatest of presidencies?

Please read my post again. It's not that complicated. He should have done his job. Like a professional. Easy as that.

Apart from that, feel free to open a topic about conservative values.