Almost 200,000 drivers arrested for drink driving in five days of Songkran holidays

webfact

Almost 200,000 drivers arrested for drink driving in five days of Songkran holidays

By Thai PBS

alcohol-test2.jpg

The National Council for Peace and Order revealed on Monday that officials have seized 10,099 cars and motorcycles, and arrested 113,450 drivers of motorcycles, and 69,898 drivers of public transport  vehicles and  private cars for drink driving  during April 11-15.

NCPO deputy spokesperson  Colonel Sirichan Ngathong said of the 10,099 vehicles seized, 7,372 are motorcycles, and 2,727 are cars.

She said only on April 15,  a total of 52,698 traffic offences were committed by motorcycle drivers, and  2,069 motorcycles were seized.

Full story: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/almost-200000-drivers-arrested-drink-driving-five-days-songkran-holidays/

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2018-04-16
  • Haha 1

Over 10,000 vehicles seized from drunk drivers so far this Songkran

n1.jpeg

The National Council for Peace and Order (NCPO) and related authorities have seized a total of 10,099 vehicles from drunk drivers in the first five days (April 11-15) of monitoring road accidents over the Songkran holidays.

They included 7,372 motorcycles and 2,727 cars and trucks, said National Council for Peace and Order (NCPO) and Army deputy spokeswoman Colonel Sirichan Ngathong on Monday. 

On Sunday alone, the authorities seized 2,069 motorcycles and 814 cars from drunk drivers, she said. 

The five-day period also saw 61,758 travellers using services (resting, asking for direction, and getting a free vehicle check-up) at the Army pit-stops along highways, she said.

The seized vehicles will be returned to their owners after the seven-day accident monitoring period, Sirichan added.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/breakingnews/30343254

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2018-04-16

There is no point to confiscating a drunk drivers car, pick up or motorbike here.

They will simply borrow there mates or borrow from the family to remain mobile.

The chances are that they will be out on the razz again within hours.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Dmaxdan said:

Just think, If there were police checkpoints in rural areas as well then these numbers would probably quadruple.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect

Agreed.  Not a check point or police in uniform to be seen at night, around the villages I visited.   Pissed up drivers far out numbered the soi dogs...

3 minutes ago, CanuckThai said:

Agreed.  Not a check point or police in uniform to be seen at night, around the villages I visited.   Pissed up drivers far out numbered the soi dogs...

Police are out in force with their clip boards right up until 1pm.  Then you are on your own.

28 minutes ago, losername said:

Meanwhile, from another source, The Mirror dated 16 April 2018, "Ant McPartlin fined £86,000 after admitting drink driving in two-minute hearing". 

Now that's what I call a punishment!!

His weekly income is 130,000 GBP.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, losername said:

Meanwhile, from another source, The Mirror dated 16 April 2018, "Ant McPartlin fined £86,000 after admitting drink driving in two-minute hearing". 

Now that's what I call a punishment!!

dont believe 86k I think there is a limit on how much a fine can be for dui??

I could be wrong....it is far too much